Chops Grille or Samba Grill on Allure

Going on Allure at the end of the month. I've been going back on forth as to weather to book a reservation at Chops Grille...I keep reading mixed reviews.

I have an dining voucher from my TA and I thought this could be a great place to use it.

I also have a dining reservation booked at Giovanni's Table.

Would Samba Grill be a good choice?

We did Samba Grill on the Allure last year. Fabulous.. SO MUCH to eat. Have a great time

We dined at Samba Grill on Allure this past May and it was terrible. In no way did it resemble anything close to a legit Brazilian steakhouse like you'd find on land. The quality of the meat was poor and the experience was not typical -- it more closely resembled a tasting menu scenario than what you typically experience at a Churrascaria.

Now if it had red sauce and thick sliced bacon it would be a way different story... right Dave? :D

Too bad RC didn't have Lugers of the Sea.

After the first time we sailed Allure, I would have said Chops over Samba Grill but after the second time, Samba was much better than Chops. Go figure. As far as how Samba compares to land based Brazilian steak houses, neither does Chops but I'm not paying land based prices either.

We dine out at fine places and know good food but yes, it does make us picky but also experienced and able to rate places properly.

Yes, we dine at brazilian steakhouses and our favorite is Fago de Chao but there are others we been to that also stand up as well, the Samba Grill was the most disappointing brazillian steakhouse that any of us 8 adults been to ever! (We are three generation family that went on the Allure this past May).

Yes, the salad bar was very good but still lacked the variety and quality that the other brazillian steakhouses offer, yes, we missed the other items and better quality italian/spanish meats, cheeses, etc, we found the Samba Grill to be very limited but remained a decent salad bar.

Dinner was another story, they kept pushing those chicken thighs, sausages, horrible ribs, the more inexpensive meats, the better quality two different types of meat were just ok and the lamb chops were fatty. We were not able to get the doneness we prefer (medium rare) other brazillian steakhouses offer rare to medium well but this place seemed to cook the meats more medium to medium well perhaps because of the quality of the meat, not sure why? This was a place that we never want to go back again to, all 8 of us adults, not one of us said it was good, we all rate it fair, actually I would call this place terrible and horrible!!

They do try to dress it up but your still sitting on outdoor type furniture.

We always dine at chops a number of times on each cruise and found this Chops on the Allure to be the least impressive. The quality has been cut back as so is the variety and with the new menu I have noticed they added more inexpensive side dishes such as the tator tots to name one. Service was ok (we ate here twice during this cruise) but it was not on par as the other ships Chops perhaps they all cut back and went downhill??

If the choice is Chops or Samba, I suggest Samba Grill. Since it is more a Brazilian steakhouse, it is different from the standard stateside or cruise ship steakhouse restaurant. We've enjoyed both on the Allure.

We've visited Brazilian steakhouses, both the chain Americanized ones as well as authentic, family owned ones in the US and in Brazil.

We did both Samba and Chops on the Allure. Samba was a big disappointment, with bad service and cuts of meat that were subpar. Some were downright disgusting (a gaucho literally served me a chunk of fat with no meat) :mad:

I really had big hopes for Samba because we do enjoy the Brazilian churrascaria experience on land.

The highlight of all the places we tried on the Allure was Giovanni's. It was wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Having never been to a Brazilian steakhouse before, I'll have nothing to compare it to and have no preconceived ideas of what it should be. So I'm going to try it anyhow.

If I was served a slice of fat I'd just give it back and ask for a better one (seems like a no-brainer).

If the salad bar isn't as wonderful, again I wouldn't know so will probably be happy with what is there.

And then, if I ever do make it to a land-based version, I can compare it to Samba and be pleasantly surprised.

As for Chops serving 'tater tots', I think that was just an unfortunate choice of names. It doesn't look anything like a bagged tater tot. They should reconsider the name. Maybe they thought Tater Balls sounded unappetizing. :cool:

Having never been to a Brazilian steakhouse before, I'll have nothing to compare it to and have no preconceived ideas of what it should be. So I'm going to try it anyhow.

If I was served a slice of fat I'd just give it back and ask for a better one (seems like a no-brainer).

If the salad bar isn't as wonderful, again I wouldn't know so will probably be happy with what is there.

And then, if I ever do make it to a land-based version, I can compare it to Samba and be pleasantly surprised.

As for Chops serving 'tater tots', I think that was just an unfortunate choice of names. It doesn't look anything like a bagged tater tot. They should reconsider the name. Maybe they thought Tater Balls sounded unappetizing. :cool:

Great attitude about Samba, and I agree with you about the name choice. From the name I wan not impressed but after reading the description I cannot wait to try them.

Which I did. But the point is, why did they even serve me a chunk of pure fat? It just speaks, not only about the quality and presentation of the meat, but also about the gauchos' training . And it was not only that. The overall quality of the meats was just subpar. Nothing truly succulent or memorable. And as someone mentioned above, the meats are usually served more medium rare. At Samba's, they were serving the meats more medium well to well done, so more on the chewy-dry side.

When you go to a churrascaria, they usually are very meticulous cutting the meat right there on the spot for you, and they graciously go from one table to another, not skipping a beat. It's like an art. Some of the gauchos at Samba seemed as if they were about to drop the skewer on the floor, having a hard time cutting the meat. It was a bit painful to watch.

As others have already said, if you have nothing to compare Samba with, then you wont know what it's really supposed to be like and you may find the experience absolutely wonderful. But if you're a bit more discerning, having tried authentic churrascarias before, then the experience is disappointing. Just so that you know how much we disliked Samba, we left. We actually went straight to the Windjammer Marketplace after that, looking for something to eat. :o

Edited by Tapi

Samba is not in a league with Fogo du Chao. Of course, Chops is not in a league with Capital Grille or even Morton's. We enjoyed Samba, Izumi, and Giovanni's more than Chops on the Allure. Maybe caught Chops on a bad night. The views at Samba and the venue itself rate high as well. Nice night.

Edited by hubofhockey

Just got back last Sunday from our Allure sailing.

We opted to eat at Chops and were satisfied with our meal. It was just as good as when we ate at Chops on the Freedom, nothing spectacular but good.

Now mind you we did not eat at Samba's Grill and apparently alot of travelers did not either.

There were crew members walking around the ship with fliers to get you to eat here.

This of course was the first day when they try to sell you the dinner venues, but this went on for the first 5 days of the cruise specifically for Sambas grill.

We even had messages on our cabin phone to book a dinner here, and this message occurred for a couple days.

We walked up one evening on a sea day after we ate in the MDR and there were many tables empty, this was about 7:30.

I dont know what is going on, but, if you want to eat here, if our sailing has any reflection on it, you will get it.

Do not know why it is not a popular eating venue, I wonder if the food is not as good as it once was or something happened.

Sea Ya

Which I did. But the point is, why did they even serve me a chunk of pure fat? It just speaks, not only about the quality and presentation of the meat, but also about the gauchos' training .......

Some of the gauchos at Samba seemed as if they were about to drop the skewer on the floor, having a hard time cutting the meat. It was a bit painful to watch.....

Just so that you know how much we disliked Samba, we left. We actually went straight to the Windjammer Marketplace after that, looking for something to eat. :o

Good points. If we are paying an upcharge for a "better" meal then I'd expect a better meal. If someone dislikes it enough to leave during the meal, I wonder if they'd refund that charge?

And if they are having a hard time getting people interested in eating there, maybe lowering the price would help...

Another thing to consider is the location of Samba on the ship. Samba is both high and far forward. On an evening with relatively rough seas, a location like this would make one more likely to feel the motion of the ocean.

On my visit to Samba, a few of us had to leave for fear of nausea.