Panama Canal and Kids

Hi, I'm looking at taking the Panama Canal cruise in spring (probably 2016, but possibly fall of 2015) with my DD, who will be 9 at that time. I'm wondering how many children might be onboard at that time and if anyone can give me an insight as to what the kids club looks like on a Panama Canal cruise. I know far fewer children will be on board, but I don't know by how many.

I'm particularly interested in the Puerto Quetzal port, which is a key reason we're looking at this cruise. DD has sailed once and LOVED it. She's a social bug, so she enjoys the kids club. Thanks!

We did this cruise in March of this year, FLL to San Diego, 15 nights total. There where almost no kids on the cruise. I can remember only 1 that was over the age of 4 or 5 and I believe he was home schooled. Over all the demographic was older (65+) on the cruise. We were on the younger side at under 60.

Not very many kids,

but,

After the ship locks up into Gatun Lake, the slow trip through the lake is fascinating! You pass within a few hundred feet of many small islands. You can hear the birds, monkeys, and other wildlife making their own unique sounds on the islands.

If you are on a balcony, and on the side next to the islands, there are many great learning experiences that you can share with your DD.

Make a family event out of it.

Also the ports are excellent, especially on the Pacific side. Lots of kid friendly, animal oriented activities.

We did a 10 night partial on Brilliance when my daughter was 8. It was a Friday to Monday cruise, so because there were fewer school days to be missed, my perception was there were a fair number of kids. In fact, I was surprised at how many there were, but my other observation is that most of them were very young. You mention spring and fall, so depending on how school breaks align, you may see more.

My daughter is not generally into the kids clubs, but she did attend a few activities.

Overall, it was an amazing experience, and one she will not forget. We worked on a school project which included "Flat Stanley" making a visit to the Panama Canal, and finished up with a great scrapbook on our return. Even if there are not many children onboard, I'm sure you won't be lacking for things to do and enjoy with her!

We cruised the PC on April 1 on Legend, and I think there were only about 15 - 20 kids aboard. The majority were very small kids (under 5). There were 5 or 6 elementary school age kids I think.

Even with the small numbers, Adventure Ocean was open and running as we rarely ever saw the kids, except in the evening at meal time.

Judy

Have not cruised on a Royal Panama Canal cruise , but have cruised on a Disney ship (was a fill the ship sale...a true 2 for 1). There were definitely a fair number of kids on board. It was a 14 day cruise. You mentioned a specific port you want to go to, but don't believe any of Disney's Panama Canal cruises go there.

I went with a girlfriend since both of our husbands had conflicts. Had an awesome time. She is a big Disney fan, me not so much. Had a great time, but was really ready to not hear any Disney music for a while. :D

Thanks, all. I'm not worried about my DD being bored...she loves to hang out in the cabin and read. I'm only concerned that she'd be pretty much alone in the kids club. Things to think about. Glad I don't have to decide just yet!

Travlin

We sailed a 10 night partial transit a few years ago, and there were very few children on board. You might take a look to see if there is a roll call for the cruise you are considering, and see if any of the participants are sailing with children.

Enjoy

M

It looks like royal is planning to send Radiance class ships through the canal starting in fall of 2015, so that must be close to when the expansion will be completed (prior to that, only vision class ships were able to make the sailing). Jewel is booked for Oct 2015 versus Legend in the spring of 2015, so that may help draw a few more families to the itinerary.

Also, if you are looking for more kids during the year, look for any sailings that might line up when schools are on break- for instance, here in the northeast, we are off the 3rd week in april, so if I was going to book, I would look at Legend's 15 night sailing on April 14 since my DD would be off from school the week of April 21 and I would only be pulling her out for the other week (roughly).

Good luck- panama is still on our bucket list!

It looks like royal is planning to send Radiance class ships through the canal starting in fall of 2015, so that must be close to when the expansion will be completed (prior to that, only vision class ships were able to make the sailing). Jewel is booked for Oct 2015 versus Legend in the spring of 2015, so that may help draw a few more families to the itinerary.

Also, if you are looking for more kids during the year, look for any sailings that might line up when schools are on break- for instance, here in the northeast, we are off the 3rd week in april, so if I was going to book, I would look at Legend's 15 night sailing on April 14 since my DD would be off from school the week of April 21 and I would only be pulling her out for the other week (roughly).

Good luck- panama is still on our bucket list!

Radiance class has always been able to transit the Panama Canal.

Edited by clarea

Thanks, all. I'm not worried about my DD being bored...she loves to hang out in the cabin and read. I'm only concerned that she'd be pretty much alone in the kids club. Things to think about. Glad I don't have to decide just yet!

Hello. We did the Legend Panama Canal trip last November. We had an awesome time and really enjoyed the cruise. However, my DS (aged 9 at the time) was completely disappointed in Adventure Ocean. He was a huge fan of AO the last couple of trips but not this one. There were very few kids on the trip and only one boy his age. He was so disappointed with AO that he originally didn't want to sign up again on our next cruise - we convinced him to give it another try. Now the April cruise may be different because of Spring Break but our experience with AO in the fall was sub-par. That was really the only negative (and not really the cruise line's fault) about the trip - we loved everything else about the cruise.

:)

Sorry, yes, I stand corrected :)

it must be the voyager class that will then be able to fit after the expansion....

my deepest apologizes

Voyager class will fit in the new locks. Not sure she will fit under the Bridge of the Americas.

That 201' clearance is at max high water and a tidal variation of up to 20', there is some wiggle room. The Canal presently permits an air draft of 205' to pass under the BOA depending on the tide. The Canal has always been lenient in granting exemptions to their requirements, the 208' doesn't seem too far outside the present parameters. Royal could also perhaps do some sort of modification to trim that 208 figure on the particular ship that they would want to transit. The bigger question might be does Royal want any of their Voyager class ships back on the West coast bad enough?

That 201' clearance is at max high water and a tidal variation of up to 20', there is some wiggle room. The Canal presently permits an air draft of 205' to pass under the BOA depending on the tide. The Canal has always been lenient in granting exemptions to their requirements, the 208' doesn't seem too far outside the present parameters. Royal could also perhaps do some sort of modification to trim that 208 figure on the particular ship that they would want to transit. The bigger question might be does Royal want any of their Voyager class ships back on the West coast bad enough?
May need to use the PC instead of the Suez to repo to China/Australia.

We did a 11 night-Panama Canal cruise on the Jewel in November 2009 for our Honeymoon. (No transit though, we just docked and took an excursion through the canal)

There were three children onboard. 1 infant, and two pre-school aged. We knew this because we were playing on the water-slide in Adventure Ocean and using the shallow water as a nice sun-bathing area. We spoke with the parent of the three kids and she said there were no others in the kids club.

Edited by smileyperry