Why not make E-Ticket print on ONE PAGE

Medtech2

This is mostly an observation and hopefully Norwegian will take notice.

I just completed my online check-in and printed my e-Docs. The all important BARCODE for the ticket does NOT fit on the first page but carries over to a second page.

First, this wastes my paper.

Second, when checking in for the cruise it would be much easier while carrying everything else to have the written ticket info and the barcode all on ONE easily presentable page.

Easily done if they would shrink the header and move it up...

Just my two cents...

Has anyone tried just presenting a digital copy from a handheld device? It seems that would work. I don't remember what security does with the docs except look at them. Once I get to the check-in counter, it seems everything is available through the computers. Of course, if there were a problem, you'd want to have the docs with you. Just wondering about digital copies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I just completed my online check-in and printed my e-Docs. The all important BARCODE for the ticket does NOT fit on the first page but carries over to a second page.

First, this wastes my paper.

Second, when checking in for the cruise it would be much easier while carrying everything else to have the written ticket info and the barcode all on ONE easily presentable page.

Easily done if they would shrink the header and move it up...

Just my two cents...

I agree that it's an unnecessary hassle and waste of paper!

It's not a matter of AFFORDING the extra sheet of paper!! Unfortunately it's not just ONE "wasted" piece of paper -- it's 1 sheet for each of the thousands of NCL passengers who print out their e-Docs for every NCL cruise.

And it's double the number of e-Doc pieces of paper that NCL has to process at check-in for thousands of passengers and then file/store them.

A major advantage of today's electronic world is that it helps to eliminate PAPERWORK! As you say, a simple reprogramming/reformatting by NCL would be much more efficient for everyone.

As for the e-Docs, I either print them 2-sided or slightly reduce the font size when I print them out so they'll fit on one side of one sheet of paper.

Sadly, this sort of thing is common across many (most?) companies. The number of times I have printed something with NOTHING on the last page is amazing.

Seems that nobody believes in doing a "test print".

Of course, in some companies, the person that does the "programming" is way removed from the requestor and just does what he/she is TOLD. No opportunity to slightly adjust something.

Too bad.

I agree that the layout of the e-docs is poorly designed, but you can avoid the waste by doing a print preview and then adjusting the size of the output. I don't remember exactly how much I reduced the size but something around 95% probably works. P.S. I do this using a PC and Firefox browser. I'm not exactly sure how you do it on a Mac or using a different browser but there must be a way, right?

I agree that the layout of the e-docs is poorly designed, but you can avoid the waste by doing a print preview and then adjusting the size of the output. I don't remember exactly how much I reduced the size but something around 95% probably works. P.S. I do this using a PC and Firefox browser. I'm not exactly sure how you do it on a Mac or using a different browser but there must be a way, right?

This.

I always print documents like this to PDFs first so I can access them through Dropbox while on vacation if needed and with OS X and Chrome for A4 page size I usually have to go under 90% in scale in order to fit the barcode on the page it is supposed to go.

Edited by Demonyte

Sadly, this sort of thing is common across many (most?) companies. The number of times I have printed something with NOTHING on the last page is amazing.

Seems that nobody believes in doing a "test print".

Including yourself? Because you can easily print preview or print to a PDF first and tell it not to print that last blank page when you go for the hard copy... :cool:

I have only been on 3 cruises but I have never had anyone even ask to see my edocs. I just go through security and then to the desk to check in. I always have them ready but have never needed them. So why do they bother?

You've been lucky. I've been asked at security for the cruise ticket on all 13 of my NCL cruises.

You've been lucky. I've been asked at security for the cruise ticket on all 13 of my NCL cruises.

Same here....additionally, I've been asked to produce it for Immigration at the airport when arriving in the UK to board a TA back to the US, just to prove to them that I actually had transportaion OUT of the country already arranged.

It is VERY easy to select a "print to fit" option on almost all printers.

Unfortunately my printer is not one of the almost all....

Regardless, as I said, I am just pointing this out so that maybe in the future it would change...

As far as having the Docs in hand, if you want to cruise out of Charleston you cannot even approach the parking or drop off areas without showing them to security.

Same here....additionally, I've been asked to produce it for Immigration at the airport when arriving in the UK to board a TA back to the US, just to prove to them that I actually had transportaion OUT of the country already arranged.

We have also had to show the edocs to security at every port before entering the terminal (along with our ID/citizenship documents).

My printer would not allow me to "shrink to fit." So here is what I did...

I highlighted/selected everything up until the end of the barcode. Went to printing properties and chose "print selection" and changed the paper size to "legal."

Prints the entire barcode on one page.

(Then I printed whatever else I needed.)

I agree.... it's silly to have to adjust this ourselves but it's an easy fix.

My printer would not allow me to "shrink to fit." So here is what I did...

I highlighted/selected everything up until the end of the barcode. Went to printing properties and chose "print selection" and changed the paper size to "legal."

Prints the entire barcode on one page.

(Then I printed whatever else I needed.)

I agree.... it's silly to have to adjust this ourselves but it's an easy fix.

What printer do you have? I have yet to see one that does not have that feature in the print options.

It's an HP. Not sure of model. When I clicked the link to print on the edocs it brought up the print box. I went through every setting and nowhere on there did it give me the option. Perhaps if I had gone in from the start menu, chose printers and faxes and changed my settings that way, it would have been there. Not sure. All I know is that printing directly from the edoc it didn't give the option. No biggie. I got it printed the way I wanted. ;)