Afternoon tea in the cabin

CCFC

If I order afternoon tea to the cabin can you tell me what it entails, is it just a pot of tea or are there nibbles with it as well? Perhaps a sandwich or even better a scone with jam and cream.

I did search the forums but nothing came up, us Brits are quite partial to a bit of tiffin :D.

If I order afternoon tea to the cabin can you tell me what it entails, is it just a pot of tea or are there nibbles with it as well? Perhaps a sandwich or even better a scone with jam and cream.

I did search the forums but nothing came up, us Brits are quite partial to a bit of tiffin :D.

Are you talking regular tea service or the Elite tea service?

You can order tea through room service. I'd recommend, however, going to the dining room for afternoon tea. It's a nice experience. If you order through room service, you may want to pick up a few pastries at the International Café. There's not much on the room service menu other than cookies that you'd want with an afternoon tea.

Sorry I should have said, the Elite tea service.

The elite afternoon tea delivered to your cabin includes the things in the dining room such as scones & toppings...enough for a meal & why we've only done it once. :p

From the Captain's Circle FAQs:

"Complimentary afternoon tea may be served in your stateroom, should you wish. You may request this via room service at least six hours prior to the desired delivery time".

Edited by Astro Flyer

It really is enough for 4 people! Little sandwiches, scones, jam and cream, tea (of course). If you go to tea in the dining room, you'll get an idea of which sandwiches you like and then you can special order them for your cabin tea. Otherwise it will just be a random selection. I think we got cookies and a couple of small cream puffs as well... and fruit tarts. :) If you have a balcony to eat it on, it's especially nice. But we've had it delivered to an inside cabin as well.

The elite afternoon tea delivered to your cabin includes the things in the dining room such as scones & toppings...enough for a meal & why we've only done it once. :p

"Complimentary afternoon tea may be served in your stateroom, should you wish. You may request this via room service at least six hours prior to the desired delivery time".

Thank you, that's what got me interested as I have never gone to afternoon tea in the MDR, the quote from the Captains Circle only says Afternoon tea and doesn't say what is delivered.

Edited by CCFC

Thank you, that's what got me interested as I have never gone to afternoon tea in the MDR, the quote from the Captains Circle only says Afternoon tea and doesn't say what is delivered.

They need at least 6 hour advance notice.

Make sure you make this clear (Elite service) when ordering.

If they do it correctly there is white gloved service in the cabin.

Some have said that RS brought the food and left.

We have had it 3 times and have had a server that stays for awhile. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

It did not when we were on the Coral earlier this year. Just a pot of tea.

we have done this a few times and like others have said there is a lot of food, so for four people order for two and you will have a lot.

We have always had it delivered by room service and dropped off have never had the white glove service but that sounds nice too.

You get tea, sandwiches, scones, whipped cream, jam, little cakes yummy

Vickie

As you know from prior cruises, we Americans don't usually serve a "proper cuppa". I always travel with my PG Tips tea bags and request a pot of hot water. We also don't get proper clotted creation this side of the pond. I spend half my time on your side of the pond and my family always has a cream tea waiting for me when I arrive!

I'm sure what ever they serve, tea on the balcony will be lovely!

Definitely ask for milk as they usually serve cream with coffee and tea.

Many Americans drink milk in their tea, they just don't drink it as strong as the Brits! One Lipton or Tetley tea bag here, gives you colored water! That's why I say bring yours or at least ask for two tea bags per cup!

Cheers,

Cheryl

As you know from prior cruises, we Americans don't usually serve a "proper cuppa". I always travel with my PG Tips tea bags and request a pot of hot water. We also don't get proper clotted creation this side of the pond. I spend half my time on your side of the pond and my family always has a cream tea waiting for me when I arrive!

I'm sure what ever they serve, tea on the balcony will be lovely!

Oh yes, you can't beat proper clotted cream with a scone.

LOL and a proper scone at that!!!

Baking a scone is the easy bit but getting hold of clotted cream especially on a ship is almost impossible.

Years ago we were on the Cunard Caronia and they had a huge bowl of clotted cream and the server was particularly generous! It was more cream with a small scone and jam.....haha.

We've done it twice: the first time just to see what it was and the second time when we were going through Glacier Bay. It's womderful. But we are typically American early diners, and it's way too much food for that. Here are some photos:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/Elite%20Afternoon%20Tea

We've done it twice: the first time just to see what it was and the second time when we were going through Glacier Bay. It's womderful. But we are typically American early diners, and it's way too much food for that. Here are some photos:

Another perk that I am not surprised by the lack of consistency from ship to ship on this.

On the Sapphire in March as was the other 2 times we ordered it, it was brought with silver place settings and the tiered tower. Linens and the whole table setup.

This looks like an order from room service. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Just sayin. :(

What takes 6 hours to get this in place????

Baking a scone is the easy bit but getting hold of clotted cream especially on a ship is almost impossible.

Years ago we were on the Cunard Caronia and they had a huge bowl of clotted cream and the server was particularly generous! It was more cream with a small scone and jam.....haha.

True if you're a baker! I import mine from Sainsbury's! However, if you get one here in Starbucks or similar, it is nothing like a British scone! Mmmmmm, I may just have to go pop one out of the freezer for my elevensies!!!

Cheryl

Thank you for the photos, looks lovely and we get to take some tea home! Though I might just bring some PG tips with me as suggested :) 100 days to go!

Edited by CCFC