Panama Canal partial-need shore excursion help!

sp2

We are taking the Panama Canal partial transit 11 day on Zuidy in December.

We are trying to decide whether or not to take a shore excursion on the Panama Canal transit day.

Is there much to be seen if you stay on board the ship for the day and watch the comings and goings,or are you better to take an excursion? There are quite a number of HAL excursions but the reviews are a very mixed bag.

Any advice from those of you who have taken this cruise?

Thanks!

We did the Embera Village excursion and the 8 children in our family group 0f 17 really enjoyed it and tasted a very sanitized version of village life. It's considered one of the best choices, and I agree, but remember it is a village site visited by boatloads of camera sporting tourists.

Ruth

We are taking the Panama Canal partial transit 11 day on Zuidy in December.

We are trying to decide whether or not to take a shore excursion on the Panama Canal transit day.

Is there much to be seen if you stay on board the ship for the day and watch the comings and goings,or are you better to take an excursion? There are quite a number of HAL excursions but the reviews are a very mixed bag.

Any advice from those of you who have taken this cruise?

Thanks!

All excursions start once the ship passes through the west-bound locks. They return after the ship completes the east-bound locks. Those on the excursions missed the east-bound trip.

I stayed on board in our aft cabin and was thankful that I could watch a huge cargo ship follow us as we stepped down from Gatun Lake. See the following images that you would miss if you were on an excursion:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1436

We boarded the train in Colon. Then switched to a bus in Panama City for the return to Colon. A very thorough tour, it also makes for a long day.

Try for the dome car on the train, if it's available. It does sell out quickly.

All excursions start once the ship passes through the west-bound locks. They return after the ship completes the east-bound locks. Those on the excursions missed the east-bound trip.

I stayed on board in our aft cabin and was thankful that I could watch a huge cargo ship follow us as we stepped down from Gatun Lake. See the following images that you would miss if you were on an excursion:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1436

That is what I was wondering, what you miss out on by taking an excursion.

We are also in an aft verandah 5185.

Is it best to go up on deck for the approach to the canal?

And most importantly, where do you get the Panama buns??:D

The Panama buns are available on the Promenade Deck and usually on the aft Lido. If I had the opportunity of taking an excursion, I would do it.

To each their own.... I've been lucky enough to go through the canal once and then do a partial transit with an overnight in Gatun Lake on a later cruise. I go for the canal and love very minute of it... seeing the rock cuts, the navigational complexities, the other ships, just looking at the jungle and imagining how they ever cut the path through it, seeing the new construction on the new locks, watching the "mule" locomotives working to keep the ship centered and seeing the incredible steep angle they have to work on while the ship is raised or lowered..... Every lock we've gone through I've seen something different. But this is me! I have not chosen to leave the ship and do an excursion because I'm there for the canal.

Are you there to see the views form the train? the village life? It's all good and whatever you choose I hope you can go back someday and see another interesting aspect of this amazing area. Enjoy! m--

One more thing to factor in... it's hot there! Check what parts of your excursion may be air conditioned and be prepared for a long hot day on shore it that's what you choose... brings a hat, light sun cover-up and lots of water so you can be comfortable and really enjoy it!

Yes I am wondering about the heat as well....this is our first time to the canal and I think that's our priority. The ferry ride through the canal sounds pretty interesting, but hot.....decisions decisions.....

I vote for the Embera Village excursion. It was VERY special. and fun.

Well, I will second that vote and the ride on the water helps keep you cool.

OP, we have done the Sunfarer and I really do not think you miss a whole lot if you get off. If you are up early to see everything then the ship sails around Gatun Lake for a bit and then heads out.

I had a discussion with several that had done both and their recommendation was to do the ship excursion. I do not think you will go wrong either way, but it is not the same as the full Panama Canal. It is very interesting, please do not misunderstand, just not the same experience. ;)

Yes I am wondering about the heat as well....this is our first time to the canal and I think that's our priority. The ferry ride through the canal sounds pretty interesting, but hot.....decisions decisions.....

One our first Zuiderdam partial Panama Canal cruise we took the ferry boat ride through the Canal to the Pacific side. Oh my gosh - you are "in the locks" and see everything. You truly get to see how the locks work. If the Canal is your objective on this cruise you should consider this excursion. This past spring we did the partial trip again and this time stayed on the ship. We will be going entirely through the Canal in October and December this year and are excited about the Canal portion of our trips. DH and I love watching the other ships. I especially love watching the freighters.

IMO, the ship's passage into the canal and lake IS an excursion! There's really no need to pay extra to leave the ship! I've found that the excursions are way too long for my liking. Pananma is HOT...VERY HOT and HUMID....it's nice on the ship to be able to retreat to some AC when it's stifling out!

I was on the Zuidy in Oct 2012 for the partial transit. Was scheduled for the village excursion, but the day before we reached the canal it was announced that due to political unrest and being unable to guarantee the safety of the ship in Colon all shore ex were cancelled. Would love to do the canal again and hopefully get to see the village.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been to the Panama Canal, 5 times. Three times all the way through on the ship. I think that if one takes the Panama Canal cruise, you should see the Panama Canal. The last two of my cruises were partial Panama Canal Cruises. The first time I found it so disappointing since I knew what I was missing. So the last time I decided to take the tour that included a ferry ride through the entire canal to the Pacific. Then they bussed us back to Colon so we could board the ship. It's only 50 miles so the bus ride wasn't too long. Also you got to see some of the land scenery in Panama. It wasn't too warm, and they served a lunch and had drinks onboard for us. I highly recommend the ferry if you aren't going through the whole canal.

We did this cruise Jan 13 in aft cabin . We never left our room / veranda . You will see everything people see from the bow only in reverse . We were up early , had room service breakfast outside , it was magical . Took a nap while we were in the lake then outside for the return trip .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were in Stateroom 6166 (aft left corner) so we had a great view of the center working island of the canal. Your room will allow you to see the entrance and exit of the canal in the opposite order of those on the bow. So when you are coming out of the canal, you will see what others standing on the bow saw going into the canal but from the comfort of your verandah.

Since I could see the same thing from my verandah, I felt no need to rush to the bow and try to look over other heads. It is amazing to sit on an aft verandah and watch a ship following you through the locks. Looking up at a huge cargo ship that is higher than your balcony is awesome.

The heat index with direct sunlight and high humidity can be suffering on excursions. IMHO it is nice to be able to dash into your aft cabin for a brief cooling. I highly recommend Kool Ties to keep a bit cool. As you proceed east-bound through the canal, the sun will shine directly on your stateroom and heat your room which will really strain your A/C. Keep your curtains closed.

The Panama buns are available for breakfast and are located with all of the other pastries opposite the Lido Restaurant Beverage Station. The day before you get to the canal, there will be a cooking demo for the Panama buns. Try the sample and then you will know what to look for in the Lido Restaurant the next morning. On Canal day, order early Room Service for your verandah and then make a short elevator ride up to the Lido Restaurant for Panama buns.

Edited by Crew News

I should mention you won't get the Panama buns on your balcony so you do need to get out and about. And the views from up top are awesome. As for the heat and humidity - I've done this trip several times, we take cool scarves (the ones you put in water and they swell up, put them around your neck and it's amazing how cool they will keep you. Loose cotton clothing. It's a wonderful experience.

On our Sunfarer, the crew served the Panama buns to everyone who was on the outside decks watching. I do not recall seeing them at breakfast. I think those outside ate the entire supply:eek:;). The crew came by several times with them

All the decks were opened to view.

Edited by kazu

Staying on the ship is certainly an option and as you can see many choose that option. Depending on whether the Canal is the primary reason for this cruise or it just happens to be one of the stops on long the way perhaps can be a guide to taking an excursion... or not. Your trip up Gatun Locks in the AM and down Gatun Locks in the PM along with the short sail to Colon will only take in about 8 miles of the 50 miles of the Canal. In short there is still a lot of Canal left to be seen. The excursion that takes you on to the Pacific side for a transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut gives you an opportunity to see a large part of the Canal. It also has the advantage in letting you experience passing through the Locks in the morning on your large Panamax ship and then be able to compare the experience from the smaller vessel. An excellent side by side comparison, besides IMO the Pacific side and Gaillard Cut have a lot of visual interest.

If the above is not for you, Panama still has a lot to see, such as the Embera Indians, a trip to the Pacific side to see Panama City or perhaps a ride on the fastest transcontinental railroad... better make that the quickest transcontinental RR;)! However, even if you stay on the ship you will see things you did not see in the morning trip through Gatun... have fun choosing!

We have taken two full transits and one partial.

When we did the partial we opted to take the ferry to the Pacific side. We were tendered ashore and then bussed to the point where we caught the ferry.

The trip was fascinating but I did not realise until we did the full transit just how much of the canal was bypassed by the bus. We took all the locks of course, but only a portion of the cut.

The heat was overwhelming but there was an air conditioned enclosure in which to seek a respite. Lunch was provided and it was adequate. Bottled water was handed out but I can't remember if we paid for our pop or if it was just provided.

When we reached the Pacific side we were bussed to Colon to meet the ship which had exited the canal in our absence. That was an experience and a half----sort of like having an amusement park thrill ride thrown in for free. :eek: My advice is to not sit up front and to not look. An empty bus followed us all the way and we were told it was to be used in case we broke down.

We had been warned during the tour that if the ship had not arrived in Colon by the time we did, we were to stay inside the security area and not venture into the city as it was very dangerous. We were told that the crew do not wander about there either.

When we did our full transit this year we were armed with the cooling neckties which we bought online from Magellans. They really do help.

Make sure you are up and about by 5:00 AM to watch your approach to the canal. At that time of day you already feel as though you could cut the air with a knife. There will be a commentary to tell you what you are looking at.

From the Caribbean side you don't see much of the new construction but on a full transit you get right up close and personal with the project on the Pacific side and that is truly amazing.

What you can see on the Caribbean side will be to port and for those headed to the Pacific side from the Caribbean side on a full transit, the new construction will be to starboard as you approach Panama City.

We found the whole experience so amazing that we are headed back in April to do our third full transit.

I know that whatever you decide to do it will be one of your trips of a lifetime.

Edited by sapper1

Thank you OP for starting this. This is the question I was searching yesterday and then, all of a sudden, you asked it!! :) I too am in the process of booking this cruise in December - aft facing cabin. Waiting to get back from the Westerdam so I will have more FCC.

Thank you...again...CrewNews. Your answer was exactly what I needed. First the Westie menu's and now this!

You guys are the best!

Would definitely take the ferry through the canal to the pacific. It was an oustanding trip. Its a long day, but well worth it. To me the whole reason of going to the Panama canal is going through it. It could be hot, was not for us, it could be raining, but we lucked out and had a great day.

One thing to note that I didn't see mentioned. You can NOT take private excursions here. To leave the ship, you must be on a ship's excursion. It's for your own safety.

I too believed to experience the Canal - so we booked the Eco Cruise & the Locks on Gatun Lake. We really liked it. We first went to the visitor's center of the locks and were able to watch boats pass through from the ground. (We were lucky enough that the Zuiderdam was returning through while we were there). Then we went on a boat ride around Gatun Lake. We got to see lots of wildlife.

Next time (I hope there's a next time), I'll stay on board and watch the return through the locks from a different vantage point than going in.

Thanks everyone for all of your wonderful replies and advice. You have given us lots to think about!

One more question - do you think it is important to book the Panama canal excursion (if we decide on one) online in advance, or can we wait and decide once we get on the ship? Do they fill up quickly?