Why are the shows shorter?

saz25

I just completed their survey after returning from our cruise.

I was very clear that I felt the 30 minute show is rediculous and I, for one, do not like it.

I feel it's really insulting to go to a theater that holds a thousand plus people to see a 30 minute show. We have sailed on many cruises on several lines and I have never seen this before.

If this is the norm, it's a step in the wrong direction. That's just my opinion and that of many people we met over the last 2 weeks.

Steve

I was very clear that I felt the 30 minute show is rediculous and I, for one, do not like it.

I feel it's really insulting to go to a theater that holds a thousand plus people to see a 30 minute show. We have sailed on many cruises on several lines and I have never seen this before.

If this is the norm, it's a step in the wrong direction. That's just my opinion and that of many people we met over the last 2 weeks.

Steve

For what its worth the theater holds around 800.

Its been this way for awhile now, we don't mind them.

Steve

I agree! If they return to 45 minute shows I will return to Princess. Until then I will give my cruising dollars to Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Sorry Princess I really like your longer shows and guest entertainers but I don't like the shorter version. I wasn't the only one complaining on my very last cruise with you.

I agree! If they return to 45 minute shows I will return to Princess. Until then I will give my cruising dollars to Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Sorry Princess I really like your longer shows and guest entertainers but I don't like the shorter version. I wasn't the only one complaining on my very last cruise with you.

Not coming back because the show is 15 minutes shorter?

Don't think I would go this far. But we do not like the shorter shows and we have expressed our dislike to Princess. We don't like the extra deck tubs either and said so. We really don't think the idea came from Princess. So we still cruise with Princess but just not as often.

Thinking of coming back to Princess after crusing with Celebrity due to the itinerary for the caribbean . The ship is Royal Princess .

For those with experience of these cabins can you tell me if the additional cost is worth it for the mini suite and are the balconies roughly the same size ?

Thanks

Scotslizzy

We dislike the shorter shows but just work around it having dinner early, skipping dessert to get to the early show & then return to the DR for our dessert. Of course we miss out of some of the guest entertainer material but having seen most of them over the years their material isn't anything new anyway. It's been years since any new entertainers have been introduced on Princess not to mention any new production shows. Perhaps we'll be surprised on the Royal. ;)

Wait, you return to the dining room JUST for dessert? Score another meal while you're there! :D

As far as show length, sitting through an hour long production of caterwauling and wailing or flat jokes can be tough. Walking out is not an option, too much of a distraction to the performers and the audience. So a show not longer than 35-40 mins is ideal as anyone can sit through caterwauling for that little bit of time.

Derek

Wait, you return to the dining room JUST for dessert? Score another meal while you're there! :D

As far as show length, sitting through an hour long production of caterwauling and wailing or flat jokes can be tough. Walking out is not an option, too much of a distraction to the performers and the audience. So a show not longer than 35-40 mins is ideal as anyone can sit through caterwauling for that little bit of time.

Derek

We don't always do it...just if the meal is dragging out and we want seats to see the show in the Princess theater. Lots of times lately we've seen the show so many times we don't even bother going to the theater at all and just watch a movie we haven't see before & then check out the buffet. You can never tell if there's someting good that wan't on the DR menu. :D

It is not just the production shows that are shorter. The comedians, singers, musicians, etc. also now have the 30 minute shows.

Do these other shorter shows also make you happy?

If they are good I am happy. If they are not good I'm even happier.....:cool:

I don't cruise just to see shows. So if they are shorter than the 1 hour or 45 minutes that some deem should be the standard I don't care.

YMMV

Edited by ar1950

From what we saw on our recently completed cruise on the Emerald everything in the Princess theater was 30 minutes +/- 5 minutes.

Not what we preferred or expected.

Again that's our opinion.

Steve

If they are good I am happy. If they are not good I'm even happier.....:cool:

LOL! With the shorter shows, I have managed to drag DH along with me for a couple of them. I haven't seen a Princess show for a long time where I wished it had been longer. ;)

For me, entertainment is a huge part of the cruising experience. If it's not a performer I think I'd enjoy (ventriloquists immediately spring to mind), I'm not happy the show is only 30 minutes...I simply don't go. And if it's a good performer, 30 minutes isn't enough. In other words, the only time a 30 minute show is better than a 50 minute show is if the show isn't worth seeing in the first place in which case I wouldn't be there anyways.

I too really dislike 30 minute entertainment.

Interestingly, on our recent Ruby Princess cruise the CD Martyn Moss arranged for all the guest entertainers to just have two longer shows, about 45 to 50 minutes, just like the good old days ! Also, we often had an entertainment in the theatre and also Explorers in the same evening. He made this happen by getting the performers to do two different shows and arranging a show by the excellent string quartet and a jazz show by the band. Sadly, he could do nothing about the too short production shows.

Best Princess entertainment for ages and it was generally appreciated, as both venues were really full. Top marks to Martyn, a very nice man as well.

Interestingly, on our recent Ruby Princess cruise the CD Martyn Moss arranged for all the guest entertainers to just have two longer shows, about 45 to 50 minutes, just like the good old days !

I hope you commented in the post cruise survey how much you enjoyed the longer shows.

Interestingly, on our recent Ruby Princess cruise the CD Martyn Moss arranged for all the guest entertainers to just have two longer shows, about 45 to 50 minutes, just like the good old days ! Also, we often had an entertainment in the theatre and also Explorers in the same evening. He made this happen by getting the performers to do two different shows and arranging a show by the excellent string quartet and a jazz show by the band. Sadly, he could do nothing about the too short production shows.

Best Princess entertainment for ages and it was generally appreciated, as both venues were really full. Top marks to Martyn, a very nice man as well.

That's a new one & great idea. :D I can live without the longer production shows that all seem to be similar anyway.