Nice Lady Saved Seats For Us On Oasis!

Last week on Oasis when we arrived at Studio B for the Frozen in Time show it was crowded as usual. Our daughter spotted some empty seats, and led us to them. They were prime seats!! Nearly a full row was empty.

A lady quickly tried to block us from heading down the row telling us "those seats are saved". I informed her that saving seats was not allowed, and proceeded past her. She yelled, "Says who?". I replied, "Royal Caribbean". Shortly after that an announcement was made about how seat saving was not allowed.

So I just want to thank that lady for "saving" great seats for my family, and several others who followed us down that row.

You are my hero!!! :D:thumbup:

Sent from my MB886 using Forums mobile app

The seat saving reminds me of a funny story my mom told me.

She lives in a senior condo in Florida . As she calls it "High School with wheelchairs"

those sweet old ladies are just as cliquey and vengeful as the "mean girls" it group in high school.

Any event in the clubhouse there will always be a couple of self appointed chair savers holding a row of seats or a table for her little hen group.

One day my mom and her lady friend went to some event and went to sit down and were told "Sorry ladies one of those seats is for Edna, one of you can sit there but not both of you"

My mothers lady friend (definately the inspiration for Sophia on The Golden Girls ) told the woman "Oh God you didn't hear ? I was just talking to Flo, She told me Edna had a heart attack this morning, she was talking to her daughter , she came to pick her up." The friend was lying through her teeth.

The woman saving the seats was shocked, but in a place like that , these things are apart of life, so she just went back to her seat and kept quite.

A little while later , in walks Edna , full of life , apologizing to her friends saying "Sorry I am late , I had a hair appointment"

Naturally The lady holding the seat whips around and glares at my mother and her friend.

The friend just looked equally as shocked and said "HAIR APPOINTMENT?????? Oh my God I though she said HEART ATTACK......friggin Beltone ...$4000 for these damn hearing aids and I am no better off then I was without. I need to have these things looked at "

*LOL*

Lol would love to meet them!!

Sent from my MB886 using Forums mobile app

We've often said that if they employed just one or two people to go up and down the aisles pointing out that seats can't be saved - in addition to making regular announcements before the shows this would help with this problem. One would hope that the 'hoggers' would take notice of people who actually work on the ship, even if they ignore other guests.

But then they also have signs saying no saving of pool loungers and in our experience the pool attendants rarely enforce those rules since they are scared of confrontation with guests.

We've often said that if they employed just one or two people to go up and down the aisles pointing out that seats can't be saved - in addition to making regular announcements before the shows this would help with this problem. One would hope that the 'hoggers' would take notice of people who actually work on the ship, even if they ignore other guests.

But then they also have signs saying no saving of pool loungers and in our experience the pool attendants rarely enforce those rules since they are scared of confrontation with guests.

Most theaters have the large TV screens in them. Why don't they just put it up there? I think most people look at them from time to time while waiting for the show to start. And if anyone tries to save a lot of seats and someone comes along and tries to sit there, they can just point to the screen and let the person saving the seats read it.

Gwen :)

RCI had a great idea in this regard last year. I only saw it once and it was on Liberty. Members of the Cruise Director staff were dressed as cops and went around the theater writing fake tickets to people who were violating rules, like seat saving. They did it in a joking way and were very verbal about it, entertaining the whole theater. It was similar to the way the old Kruze Komics performed prior to shows.

However, I would image it generated complaints from the offenders which is probably why I've only seen it once. :rolleyes:

The seat saving reminds me of a funny story my mom told me.

She lives in a senior condo in Florida . As she calls it "High School with wheelchairs"

those sweet old ladies are just as cliquey and vengeful as the "mean girls" it group in high school.

Any event in the clubhouse there will always be a couple of self appointed chair savers holding a row of seats or a table for her little hen group.

One day my mom and her lady friend went to some event and went to sit down and were told "Sorry ladies one of those seats is for Edna, one of you can sit there but not both of you"

My mothers lady friend (definately the inspiration for Sophia on The Golden Girls ) told the woman "Oh God you didn't hear ? I was just talking to Flo, She told me Edna had a heart attack this morning, she was talking to her daughter , she came to pick her up." The friend was lying through her teeth.

The woman saving the seats was shocked, but in a place like that , these things are apart of life, so she just went back to her seat and kept quite.

A little while later , in walks Edna , full of life , apologizing to her friends saying "Sorry I am late , I had a hair appointment"

Naturally The lady holding the seat whips around and glares at my mother and her friend.

The friend just looked equally as shocked and said "HAIR APPOINTMENT?????? Oh my God I though she said HEART ATTACK......friggin Beltone ...$4000 for these damn hearing aids and I am no better off then I was without. I need to have these things looked at "

*LOL*

Hilarious story and what makes it even funnier for me is MY name is Edna - HA HA HA HA :)

Last week on Oasis when we arrived at Studio B for the Frozen in Time show it was crowded as usual. Our daughter spotted some empty seats, and led us to them. They were prime seats!! Nearly a full row was empty.

A lady quickly tried to block us from heading down the row telling us "those seats are saved". I informed her that saving seats was not allowed, and proceeded past her. She yelled, "Says who?". I replied, "Royal Caribbean". Shortly after that an announcement was made about how seat saving was not allowed.

So I just want to thank that lady for "saving" great seats for my family, and several others who followed us down that row.

Yes, we have to stand up for ourselves given that people always think that the rule doesn't apply to them. Last time we were on the Allure, Security had to be called as a result of a whole row of saved seats behind us. The two parties got into an altercation and there was pushing and shoving and a whole lot of yelling -- I suspect alcohol was also a culprit -- I am amazed at the behavior of some "adults" on cruise ships.

I would have done the same thing. Saving a seat or two while they go to the bathroom, no problem, but saving seats and they show up halfway through the show is another. But a whole row????????????? WOW a new level of ****

The trauma of saving seats is too much for me to handle, well done you!

I surprised they didn't bring their sun loungers in with them.

Perfectly said - TRAUMA is the understatement.

Regarding the loungers - My wife and I are just off the Allure and talk about rude people. I helped a few people around me who needed pool loungers. One gentleman (who actually had all four of his party with him) came near where I was sitting and wanted four chairs in a row at 10:30 AM Impossible??? No, not when I told him the ten chairs along pool side had not seen a rear end for 45 minutes. Of course he found four to his liking.

This was on the last sea day and by then I had seen so many inconsiderate people, I couldn't keep quiet. I witnessed RCI staff correcting my fellow cruisers in the wrong, only for them to have to endure verbal abuse.

Although our cruise had enough rude people, we were told by several staff that the cruise in the middle of July was the worst.

Well then, that entire family can pick a meeting place outside the theater and all walk in together. One person trying to save an entire row of seats is unacceptable and I have no sympathy for her.

Amen...if they wanted those seats together that badly, they'd be in them together and not rudely inconveniencing everyone else to cater to them. My job on my cruise is not to move aside for someone else who is late or just generally being inconsiderate.

Consider this: The nice lady saving the seats may not have known that seat saving is against the rules. Etiquette? Well, that's another question.

Either way, I agree with the OP, but I'm suggesting that not everyone who saves a bunch of seats is thumbing their noses at the rules. So, rather than being a donkey about claiming those empty seats, a little tact usually wins the day.

At least, that's how I would have handled it. In life, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I find my life is a lot more stress free than it otherwise would be. I just don't have that drill-sergeant approach to life's little problems. YMMV :D

She knows now. :D

Why the joy in taking the seat of individuals trying to sit together? I understand the policy, but please recognize these seat-savers just want to experience the event with their family and friends. It is a vacation after all; time to spend with those you love. The logistics of getting everyone in the party to the theater at the exact same moment don't always work out when family members are coming from all parts of the ship. Get there earlier if you need a specific seat. There are plenty of seats in the theater 15 minutes before show time. Take a saved seat if you want as you are entitled to by policy, but is it necessary to celebrate it?

Family and friends should be better organized if they must sit with family and friends in order to enjoy an event. It is called time management. It is other people's vacation also - not just yours and your "group".

Agree with others here, if you want to sit together, get there together. We may have one straggler who needs to make a bathroom stop or pick up something on the way to the theater, but the rest of our group will always get there together.

If you must sit together get to the theater together, especially if you have preferred seats that others may also prefer.

Wow, quite a response! I agree that a seat or two saved might be understandable, but nearly a whole row? That's a different story.

Nice to see a good discussion on seat saving.

BTW... The Frozen in Time show with the sand artists was outstanding!!

Why the joy in taking the seat of individuals trying to sit together? I understand the policy, but please recognize these seat-savers just want to experience the event with their family and friends. It is a vacation after all; time to spend with those you love. The logistics of getting everyone in the party to the theater at the exact same moment don't always work out when family members are coming from all parts of the ship. Get there earlier if you need a specific seat. There are plenty of seats in the theater 15 minutes before show time. Take a saved seat if you want as you are entitled to by policy, but is it necessary to celebrate it?
Let's consider this from the other point of view:

Aren't these seat-savers trying to take away the joy of MY FAMILY sitting together?

Don't you think my family also wants to experience the event together?

Is the cruise any less MY vacation than it is theirs?

Is it harder for their family to coordinate and enter the theater together than it is for my family?

Couldn't THEY arrive earlier if they need a specific seat?

I agree with this. Can't they be together in another area of the ship. You are supposed to be watching the show, not socializing during the show.
I do understand wanting to sit together, even if you're not socializing during the show. Most of us tend to arrive 15-20 minutes before the show begins, and it's more fun to talk amongst your group than to sit amongst strangers -- but that in no way justifies rude, entitled behavior!
Agreed, but from the staff's point of view, it's kind of a lose-lose situation:

If they DO ask hoggers to move /not to save seats, they're likely to be engaged in a confrontation -- possibly even have a complaint made against them. But if they DON'T ask hoggers to move, the people who can't get a seat get angry. The best option for us as individual cruisers: THANK the staff when they step up and make people follow the rules. Even put in a note to Guest Relations saying that this staffer helped you and made your cruise a little better. It's an unfortunate truth that we're all more likely to complain /hold onto a negative experience than we are to give praise where it's due. Perhaps if we celebrated the staffers who help us, we'd see more of that type of help!

Saving a seat or two while they go to the bathroom, no problem,
A husband saving one seat for a wife who's gone to the bathroom (or to buy drinks, or whatever) isn't the worst thing in the world -- it's not comparable to saving a whole row -- but it's still easier on everyone if it's avoided. If you stop and use the rest room before entering the theater, you avoid potential conflict and you don't have to find one another again in a crowded theater.

RCI had a great idea in this regard last year. I only saw it once and it was on Liberty. Members of the Cruise Director staff were dressed as cops and went around the theater writing fake tickets to people who were violating rules, like seat saving. They did it in a joking way and were very verbal about it, entertaining the whole theater. It was similar to the way the old Kruze Komics performed prior to shows.

However, I would image it generated complaints from the offenders which is probably why I've only seen it once. :rolleyes:

I LOVED the Kruze Komics! Wish they'd bring them back!

Thanks for the memory.

On my last cruise in the comedy club there was a woman saving an entire table. It was a long circular couch that seated 8-10. She was alone and frantically waving off anyone who attempted to sit down.

About 10 minutes before show time, she was defeated and had to let other people sit there as the club was packed. I think only 1 person she knew showed up.

What makes me laugh is we were on a cruise a while back and went to the ice show. Being D+ we headed for the special reserved seating. People were already queued up waiting for them to release the seats 10 mins prior to the show. We showed the member of staff trying to manage the area our cards, and he let us in.

The looks we had when the woman at the front of the line had to start recounting seats in the row and realized she could no longer got her whole party in the front row were priceless. She even started yelling at the poor man trying to manage the situation that she was there first to get the seats and why should we be allowed to walk right in:rolleyes:

Unfortunately some people just don't get it:eek:

What makes me laugh is we were on a cruise a while back and went to the ice show. Being D+ we headed for the special reserved seating. People were already queued up waiting for them to release the seats 10 mins prior to the show. We showed the member of staff trying to manage the area our cards, and he let us in.

The looks we had when the woman at the front of the line had to start recounting seats in the row and realized she could no longer got her whole party in the front row were priceless. She even started yelling at the poor man trying to manage the situation that she was there first to get the seats and why should we be allowed to walk right in:rolleyes:

Unfortunately some people just don't get it:eek:

I don't believe in someone lettting everyone know at every chance that they are D+ but this is one time a flash of the card is appropiate.:D