Not fair customer service

leor18

I've been looking for a cruise line where you can smoke, the Italian lines seem to be more favourable but now I know Celebrity are easy on the rules I might consider checking them out.
Funny post but maybe not so funny.

It does seem that many have taken pains to stress how catching smokers is not the responsibility of Celebrity.:(

It was a Baltic cruise. Is there a reason the OP & DW should not use the balcony at 1:30a? Is there a Celebrity rule against use in the middle of the night?

In the ex given by the OP, it's clear that catching a balcony smoker in the middle of the night was difficult.

When we visit guest services with a complaint we don't want compensation. We want to learn what guest services can do. On the Dec "Bayley group cruise" aboard Constellation, smokers were using both sides of the promenade. Large ash trays were on both sides. Security on the no smoking side would be quick to correct the problem. The smoking on the non smoking side of the promenade continued.

As a special note to smokers: HAL and Costa will give you plenty of opportunity to smoke.

jls

Case in point - we had a most annoying banging from a staff gate above our cabin which started occurring around 5am every morning. We notified customer service. They attempted to correct the problem and checked in with us regularly. The problem never was resolved. S*** happens - they tried. Note to self to book a different cabin. They offered us coupons to Specialty Dining which we declined. We were not looking for compensation - just the ability to sleep past 5am!! We were extremely surprised when the lovely Ellen Landes, Guest Relations Officer, delivered 2 x $250 Future Cruise Certificates. In our many discussions, she knew we were again booked a year later. I called her and thank her profusely, stating we appreciated the gesture but that it was not necessary.

We don't complain for compensation, we complain for resolution. Having said that, in this OPs situation, I think that I would've popped my head around the balcony barrier and directly requested the pax to refrain from smoking. If it continued, I would have continued to do so. If they get in my space by smoking, I'll get in theirs. Thoughts on this? Would that be rude?

You have heard of road rage no doubt, what you are suggesting would possibly produce cruise rage! IMHO I don't think it is ever a good idea to stick your head around a divider to another guests cabin.

For one thing you would now be guilty of violating their privacy and subject censure for doing so. Worst case you might be met with a right to the jaw. :D

Ships have a security staff for a reason and I am certain the cruise line doesn't want guests attempting to enforce rules.

Edited by maxsales

I've been looking for a cruise line where you can smoke, the Italian lines seem to be more favourable but now I know Celebrity are easy on the rules I might consider checking them out.

Really? You went through the trouble to set up a fake second account just for this comment? I guess some people have more time then common sense. :rolleyes:

You have heard of road rage no doubt, what you are suggesting would possibly produce cruise rage! IMHO I don't think it is ever a good idea to stick your head around a divider to another guests cabin.

For one thing you would now be guilty of violating their privacy and subject censure for doing so. Worst case you might be met with a right to the jaw. :D

Ships have a security staff for a reason and I am certain the cruise line doesn't want guests attempting to enforce rules.

I do agree with most of what you say, but I would question whether the offended party's right to a smoke-free balcony doesn't trump the offending smoker's right to privacy, if in fact there is any reasonable expectation of privacy on a ship's open balcony in the first place.

I do agree with most of what you say, but I would question whether the offended party's right to a smoke-free balcony doesn't trump the offending smoker's right to privacy, if in fact there is any reasonable expectation of privacy on a ship's open balcony in the first place.

So I take it you are saying that you have the right to look around a barrier that is there to provide privacy to see if the person on the other side is violating a rule?

Using the same logic then when you actually observe someone speeding on the highway you have the right to force them over and fine them on the spot. Otherwise how would you enforce the rule if you found a violation?

Look at it this way lean around the divider and observe someone smoking then what? You can asking them to stop they may or may not. You could climb around the partition and confront them physically not the best idea. Or you could call security, however now you are just as much in violation of cruise policy as the smoker is. Them for smoking, you for violating their privacy. Plus it is still your word against theirs.

Again my suggestion would still be to simply call security and let them deal with the problem. :)

Edited by maxsales

So I take it you are saying that you have the right to look around a barrier that is there to provide privacy to see if the person on the other side is violating a rule?

Using the same logic then when you actually observe someone speeding on the highway you have the right to force them over and fine them on the spot. Otherwise how would you enforce the rule if you found a violation?

Look at it this way lean around the divider and observe someone smoking then what? You can asking them to stop they may or may not. You could climb around the partition and confront them physically not the best idea. Or you could call security, however now you are just as much in violation of cruise policy as the smoker is. Them for smoking, you for violating their privacy. Plus it is still your word against theirs.

Again my suggestion would still be to simply call security and let them deal with the problem. :)

No, that's not what I said at all, so please don't put words in my mouth. You raised the issue of the smoker's right to privacy, and I simply mused if such a right actually exists. It was an open question, not a statement, and certainly not one stating that anyone has the right to look around the barrier.

Really? You went through the trouble to set up a fake second account just for this comment? I guess some people have more time then common sense. :rolleyes:

Now that's a first; a troll posting on a thread that was started by a troll!:eek:

We don't complain for compensation, we complain for resolution. Having said that, in this OPs situation, I think that I would've popped my head around the balcony barrier and directly requested the pax to refrain from smoking. If it continued, I would have continued to do so. If they get in my space by smoking, I'll get in theirs. Thoughts on this? Would that be rude?

I actually did ask a neighbor to please turn down his boom box he had blaring out on his balcony. He went ballistic. Security became involved and I was told by them in no uncertain terms never, ever approach another passenger with a complaint, that was securities job. As it turned out there were numerous phone calls to GR about this cabin and after my incident, we never saw or heard them for the remaining cruise.

Have to chuckle...

Balcony on a cruise ship having a sense of privacy ?

Look up people !! (and down & sideways)

Not to mention around that partition (not that I condone gawking, but I think just about everyone takes a peek around it at least once to see what next door looks like)

There is no true privacy...

If your neighbours don't see you (by intent or accidentally) then trust me ship's CCTv might.

This is precisely WHY they advise Guests not to have "amorous relations" on their balconies...

Privacy is not guaranteed !! It is something that is falsely assumed.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

The tone of your post is rather off putting. I would have very nicely approached the offending party and asked them to please not smoke on their balcony because I am very allergic to smoke. If that didn't do any good then, I would have gone up the line to see what else could be done. I'm sure if housekeeping had witnessed the situation the situation would have been corrected. Just another point of view.

One would think a knock on the door informing the offending party that everything that takes place on any balcony on the ship can be observed from the bridge would be sufficient to ensure compliance.

It might work as a deterrent, or might not.

Because as I said in my post above the CCTv cameras "might" catch someone smoking. They see more than most Pax imagine / think about... But at the same time they don't see into every nook & cranny.

Cheers!

One would think a knock on the door informing the offending party that everything that takes place on any balcony on the ship can be observed from the bridge would be sufficient to ensure compliance.
It might work as a deterrent, or might not.

Because as I said in my post above the CCTv cameras "might" catch someone smoking. They see more than most Pax imagine / think about... But at the same time they don't see into every nook & cranny.

Cheers!

The cameras don't see that much. For the majority of the balcony cabins, they are aimed down the side of the ship to record anything or anyone going overboard. They are NOT aimed onto the balcony to capture what goes on there. In the majority of locations, you will only be visible to the camera if you are standing at the railing. Believing that they are aimed to see onto balconies is one of those myths that just won't go away because the paranoid refuse to believe the facts.

However, there are some balconies that due to their location may be more visible to the cameras. These are located in places where the cameras could not be effective otherwise if they were aimed completely away. Call it "collateral recording". Looking onto everybody's balcony is not the reason they are there, and the cruise lines are careful not to do so for fear of invasion of privacy complaints.

Edited by boogs

The cameras don't see that much. For the majority of the balcony cabins, they are aimed down the side of the ship to record anything or anyone going overboard. They are NOT aimed onto the balcony to capture what goes on there. In the majority of locations, you will only be visible to the camera if you are standing at the railing. Believing that they are aimed to see onto balconies is one of those myths that just won't go away because the paranoid refuse to believe the facts.

However, there are some balconies that due to their location may be more visible to the cameras. These are located in places where the cameras could not be effective otherwise if they were aimed completely away. Call it "collateral recording". Looking onto everybody's balcony is not the reason they are there, and the cruise lines are careful not to do so for fear of invasion of privacy complaints.

Since I'm the one who actually brought up the camera's, I was aware of exactly what you said but in my experience prior to the ban on smoking on the veranda and after, I have seen lots of people standing at the rail. That was the original purpose of my post, just pointing it out as a possibility of proof.

Lots of hotels have a charge if you smoke in a room. Does Celebrity charge the offenders a fee for cleaning. IT should. Better still, it ought to charge them a high fee or kick them off the ship. Before you board the no smoking policy is in effect. I would be firm on the no smoking policy ...or better still make the entire ship smoke free.

Lots of hotels have a charge if you smoke in a room. Does Celebrity charge the offenders a fee for cleaning. IT should. Better still, it ought to charge them a high fee or kick them off the ship. Before you board the no smoking policy is in effect. I would be firm on the no smoking policy ...or better still make the entire ship smoke free.

As indicated by others earlier in this thread.

First, warning

Second, $250 cleaning fee

Third: removal from ship

All 3 have happened!

• 1 month later...
you are all being terribly cruel to the op. I had a similar problem on one of my cruises when i couldn't find a deck chair due to chair-hogs. This went on for the whole cruise despite my complaints and when i demanded compensation they ignored me. I told them i didn't want money, i just wanted to take one of the deckchairs home with me so i could use it there in peace. Initially i also asked that they install a pool for me at home but after some negotiation i lowered my demands to a more reasonable level.

Despite this i was still refused any compensation. I decided to take matters into my own hands. I chose a fairly average deckchair, not too shabby but nor was it brand new, and tried to take it ashore with me when i disembarked. Frustratingly i was accosted by security and refused even this minimal level of compensation.

In the end i just went up on deck and threw it overboard, then after disembarking i waited alongside the dock until it floated close enough for me to snare with a fishing line i borrowed from a nearby angler. The crew watching just shrugged their shoulders and clearly decided that my claim for compensation had been valid all along.

The deckchair now sits proudly in my backyard and i consider it adequate compensation for the agony i suffered onboard. I will cruise with x again because they honoured my compensation claim but next time i hope i don't have to fight so hard to get what is rightfully mine.

Now all i have to do is get my rottweiler to stop being such a chair-hog.

lol!!

You are all being terribly cruel to the OP. I had a similar problem on one of my cruises when I couldn't find a deck chair due to chair-hogs. This went on for the whole cruise despite my complaints and when I demanded compensation they ignored me. I told them I didn't want money, I just wanted to take one of the deckchairs home with me so I could use it there in peace. Initially I also asked that they install a pool for me at home but after some negotiation I lowered my demands to a more reasonable level.

Despite this I was still refused any compensation. I decided to take matters into my own hands. I chose a fairly average deckchair, not too shabby but nor was it brand new, and tried to take it ashore with me when I disembarked. Frustratingly I was accosted by security and refused even this minimal level of compensation.

In the end I just went up on deck and threw it overboard, then after disembarking I waited alongside the dock until it floated close enough for me to snare with a fishing line I borrowed from a nearby angler. The crew watching just shrugged their shoulders and clearly decided that my claim for compensation had been valid all along.

The deckchair now sits proudly in my backyard and I consider it adequate compensation for the agony I suffered onboard. I will cruise with X again because they honoured my compensation claim but next time I hope I don't have to fight so hard to get what is rightfully mine.

Now all I have to do is get my Rottweiler to stop being such a chair-hog.

When I read posts like the one above, it reminds me why I read what other people think.

Sometimes, it is just plain fun. Thanks gek:D