Free Hot Chocolate on Alaskan cruises?

1153rsmith

I called the 800 number for Princess this morning about some things and while I was on the phone with the lady I told her I thought it was odd that Princess charged for hot chocolate when every other cruise line I had been on, had it complimentary just like coffee and hot tea.

She then said that hot chocolate is complimentary on the Alaskan itineraries.

Can any of you who have been on Princess in Alaska recently confirm this? (I know you can get different information from different employees.)

Just trying to decide if we will be packing chocolate packs or not.

On Golden, a few months ago I had hot chocolate at diner, the odd time, fixed seating, MDR at no charge. One night we all had to go 'mixed seating', I asked for hot chocolate, and was told that there was a charge for it. I politely told the waiter that it had always been free, and I gave him my table number. A couple of minutes later it arrived, no charge.

A quick note, the HC is not the best.

john

That is the madening thing... you don't know who is correct. One would think that the folks on the phone at Princess would always be able to give you accurate information. I guess we will pack some packs Swiss Miss and if we don't need it, that will be great.

I guess I will never understand how cruise lines decide what to charge separately for and what to include for the price of the cruise. I have been on 3 other cruise lines so far, and none of them charged for hot chocolate, it was just always available for consumption.

Edited by 1153rsmith

I've never had free hot chocolate on a Princess cruise. That's not to say, that it doesn't exist. But, wouldn't it be nice if part of the new chocolate promotion included an offering of hot chocolate?

I know there is a charge in the International Cafe - approximately $1.50 per cup. I'd you have a current coffee card, it is included as a choice just like the tea and brewed coffee.

I was on the Golden, 7/26/2014 sailing along with Caribsun and there was definitely free hot chocolate on the day we were in Glacier Bay. I don't know if it was free every day as it was not very cold and I didn't want hot chocolate at any other time. There was an attendant with a big coffee type cart and urn that was there offering free hot chocolate while we were on deck viewing the glaciers.

It's almost like some manager in the back room looks at the cases of hot chocolate mix in the morning and decides, "that looks like we have plenty, go put some packets out in the buffet next to the hot water!" It was just really inconsistent on our 16-night TA (northern route in September, so the weather was quite right for hot chocolate). Doing Alaska on Princess next month, and I think we'll just buy a drink package for that extra touch of luxury :D

For me, hot chocolate ordered at the coffee bar, I had to pay for, if not using a coffee card...just like the coffee. In the dining room, at breakfast, it was always free as my beverage. At night, watching the movies, I often found it on deck, near pots of coffee, and it was free.

I was on the Coral in Alaska during May of this year.

Hot chocolate was only in the buffet for breakfast and was complimentary. It was not even available during lunch or dinner in the buffet.

During Glacier Bay scenic cruising, hot chocolate was available for free from a cart being wheeled around the deck.

Hot chocolate was included with the coffee card at the IC.

I did not try to order any in the MDR.

One of my fondest memories of our very first cruise (which was to Alaska) was sitting up on the top decks, covered in warmed wool blankets and sipping "flavored" hot chocolate served from the urn. On that cruise it was the drink of the day. One day amaretto, next Sambuca, etc. Yes, there was a charge, but it remains a soothing memory.

We were on the Star to Alaska last month from San Francisco. Last year hot chocolate was complimentary through room service. We called first this year and the policy was "complimentary until 11:30am"; afterwards a charge would be levied. We have found each ship to have it's own policy and even then it changes within the same year. Venue seems not to matter.

I'm not sure why Princess has this inconsistent policy as it is frustrating for customers.

msk1

On all the ships we have been on, there was always a self service drink area where you could get tea, water, coffee, hot tea, and something like lemonaid. Is there a similar place on princess or do you have to get drinks between meals from the bars?

On all the ships we have been on, there was always a self service drink area where you could get tea, water, coffee, hot tea, and something like lemonaid. Is there a similar place on princess or do you have to get drinks between meals from the bars?

These beverages are available at the buffet area which on Princess is open from 5 AM until 11 PM although the beverages (other than coffee) might be available overnight when the buffet is closed.

Usually self-service, but sometimes there may be someone there to assist you.

How is it complimentary if you have to purchase a coffee card?

It's considered "free" because you have the card and they don't punch one of your allotted coffees for the hot chocolate. You only have a set number of specialty coffee punches, say 16. You can get a mocha, latte or whatever, and the server punches your card for each one. They don't punch it for hot chocolate. You could get as many cups a day as you want of hot chocolate.

If you don't have a coffee card, hot chocolate is $1.50 or $1.75 per cup.

I can't remember if there were little packets of it in the Horizon Court (free). I think there were but I can't say for sure because I didn't take any. The only day I saw free hot chocolate being served was on Glacier Bay day in big pots and I tried one and it was watered down and gross. It was for sale in the IC but I didn't go in and buy one. Though I did buy a hot chocolate one day in port.....