El Cheapo Cruises Thread

Excellent value ..... and For Kiwis in NZ dollars..

TWIN SHARE

Interior Cabin WAS $4949pp NOW $2409pp

Obstructed Ocean View WAS $5395pp NOW $2739pp

Ocean View WAS $6379pp NOW $3069pp

Balcony Cbin WAS $7369pp NOW $3509pp

US$100 ONBOARD CREDIT PER CABIN!

CONDITIONS

* Full payment is due within 2 days of reservation made

* Pricing shown is Cruise Only

Got an email on this cruise yesterday and the interior cabins were down to $1490 pp San Francisco to Auckland!

Having only cruised once with another booked can experienced cruisers please say whether it is better to book early or last minute? I still haven't managed to better the deal I got for November booked in May, on advice read on this forum.

My take on it is this. You need to make a call on whether the cruise will sell out (or be fairly full) or not. If it is the former, then better to book early. If the cruise will not be near full, then better to book late. Obviously your next question is how will I know whether it's going to sell out or not. As a general rule, repositioning cruises don't sell as well as out and back cruises, because people have to factor in an airfare as well. With the repositioning cruises, even though the ship may be nowhere near full, the cruise company can't just cancel the cruise, because they have to get the ship to the next cruise location for the upcoming season. But the price can still be very competitive even if you do factor an airfare in. The upcoming Explorer of the Seas Barcelona to Dubai cruise is a good example. We just booked on it a couple of days ago.

My take on it is this. You need to make a call on whether the cruise will sell out (or be fairly full) or not. If it is the former, then better to book early. If the cruise will not be near full, then better to book late. Obviously your next question is how will I know whether it's going to sell out or not. As a general rule, repositioning cruises don't sell as well as out and back cruises, because people have to factor in an airfare as well. With the repositioning cruises, even though the ship may be nowhere near full, the cruise company can't just cancel the cruise, because they have to get the ship to the next cruise location for the upcoming season. But the price can still be very competitive even if you do factor an airfare in. The upcoming Explorer of the Seas Barcelona to Dubai cruise is a good example. We just booked on it a couple of days ago.

It depends on the re positioning. Some sell out quickly. But run of the mill TA or TP you can sometimes wait until after final payment and see what left over.

Got one of my balcony guarantee allocations. Booked Radiance for early 2017 to NZ and have been allocated cabin 1000. If I had a list of what I would least pick for myself it would be deck 10 forward. I was hoping for deck 7 rear. It made me laugh. I have a bit of time to think about this. It seems cabin lotto may not be a game I am good at :)

For those not familiar with Radiance it is the most forward cabin on deck 10 right next to the bridge.

Hi Goodycruising,

We also booked balcony guarantee for 25th Feb 2017 Aus & NZ cruise but have not yet been allocated a cabin?

How long after booking did you find out your cabin number & how did you find out??

cheers,

G&G :):cool:

Edited by gayengarry

While I noticed this one, I would also say that the timing is not right for me. We have returned from a big Europe trip that included 21 days of cruising only a month ago. Husband now has no holiday leave.

I'm sure it is the perfect cruise for someone though!

Hi Goodycruising,

We also booked balcony guarantee for 25th Feb 2017 Aus & NZ cruise but have not yet been allocated a cabin?

How long after booking did you find out your cabin number & how did you find out??

cheers,

G&G :):cool:

That one took 6 days roughly to be allocated. We saw it by checking online a couple of times a day. They then sent an email next day with a "notice of change of reservation" about the cabin number. Another we had booked took a few days longer for the number and then next day we just got another version of the invoice with the new cabin number. So it can vary as to when they do these mysterious allocations.

Got an email on this cruise yesterday and the interior cabins were down to $1490 pp San Francisco to Auckland!

Going ..going ..down ,down ,down....

Aurora San Francisco to Auckland 16 nights.....

How low can the price go.

Today being advertised at $2,209 NZ dollars

plus 200 British Pounds OBC..

for 2 people.

Going ..going ..down ,down ,down....

Aurora San Francisco to Auckland 16 nights.....

How low can the price go.

Today being advertised at $2,209 NZ dollars

plus 200 British Pounds OBC..

for 2 people.

Wow. Great deal. 200 British pounds is almost worth $2209 NZD so it's almost free. :p

Edited by woodyren

Wow. Great deal. 200 British pounds is almost worth $2209 NZD so it's almost free. :p

Not quite that much yet.:eek:

200 pounds is around $AU 428 or $NZ 473.

However ,I do begin to wonder how long it will be before they start paying us to cruise:D:D

Not quite that much yet.:eek:

200 pounds is around $AU 428 or $NZ 473.

However ,I do begin to wonder how long it will be before they start paying us to cruise:D:D

Aurora, I believe , is the sister ship to Oriana, and almost identical.

Did this cruise on Oriana twice and loved every minute so have to consider it seriously.

Especially as we have enough airports to cover the air fare!!!!!!

Aurora, I believe , is the sister ship to Oriana, and almost identical.

Did this cruise on Oriana twice and loved every minute so have to consider it seriously.

Especially as we have enough airports to cover the air fare!!!!!!

We did this cruise on Aurora in 2004.If my health allowed me to fly , I would be booking in a shot. The bargain we thought we got then , pales into insignificance at the prices being offered today.

If you like Oriana Pete , you will love Aurora.:)

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

That one took 6 days roughly to be allocated. We saw it by checking online a couple of times a day. They then sent an email next day with a "notice of change of reservation" about the cabin number. Another we had booked took a few days longer for the number and then next day we just got another version of the invoice with the new cabin number. So it can vary as to when they do these mysterious allocations.

I am now checking a few times a day to see if we have a cabin allocated yet.... Was so excited yesterday when I saw we had gone from 'cruise on hold' to 'cruise purchased'. :D

If we don't find out till just before we sail it is going to be a long 18 months!! :rolleyes:

Also, Carnival having a 72 hour sale and have cruises from $72 a day on particular sailing dates. Might be worth a look.

Yay just booked carnival cruise for Oct not as cheap as Feb/march but I don't have to wait so long :)

There are some great prices in the Carnival Sale..:):)