First visit to Rome and tour advice

piratenurse09

My husband and I have 2 days in Rome pre-cruise and this will be our first visit. I know it's purely opinion, but do those that have been feel it is worth it to have tour guides at the Colosseum/Forum (underground and upper ring recommended?), or the Vatican/Sistine Chapel? There are many tour companies I've found with good reviews on Tripadvisor, such as Dark Rome, Walks of Italy, Italywithus.com, etc but is it really needed for a first time visit to make it worthwhile? The Vatican offers tickets that can be bought with a guide that is cheaper through their website, anybody with experience find that it is just as good as a tour company? We will see all the other walking sites on our own, but wanted opinions on these 2 spots in particular. Thanks in advance!

I have done the Vatican museums using their tour guide because I wanted to be sure to skip the long lines. It was okay. There were probably about 12 of us on the tour. There were frequent stops so the guide could discuss certain paintings that she felt had more of historic or artistic significance than others.

The guides are not allowed to speak in the Sistine Chapel so they gather you in the Raphael rooms before hand and give you a rundown of what you're going to see once you enter the chapel. This is certainly a reasonable option versus hiring an outside guide and then buying your tickets to the museum separately

Best book the combined Vatican Gardens & Vatican Museum Tour. To avoid middle man commissions book these direct via Vatican Museum website. Admissions are date and time specific . You avoid the queues. Book on line print out your voucher. Walk past the 1km queue to the entrance . Show your voucher to the doorman and you will be directed to the Cassa (Cashier) where your vouchers will be exchanged for tickets. You go to the assembly point as directed for your tour and you are in . Be there 15 minutes before your appointed time. Do NOT be late as you will NOT be admitted after your pre booked time.

My husband and I have 2 days in Rome pre-cruise and this will be our first visit. I know it's purely opinion, but do those that have been feel it is worth it to have tour guides at the Colosseum/Forum (underground and upper ring recommended?), or the Vatican/Sistine Chapel? There are many tour companies I've found with good reviews on Tripadvisor, such as Dark Rome, Walks of Italy, Italywithus.com, etc but is it really needed for a first time visit to make it worthwhile? The Vatican offers tickets that can be bought with a guide that is cheaper through their website, anybody with experience find that it is just as good as a tour company? We will see all the other walking sites on our own, but wanted opinions on these 2 spots in particular. Thanks in advance!

If you read this board over time you'll notice that two different approaches to first-time touring emerge: the people who see many things superficially trying to decide what to visit in depth on a later trip and the people who limit the things they visit and see those thoroughly. Thinking about your past trips, which approach did you take? If you've never traveled to a place where touring is more central than recreation, think about other parts of your life to help you answer that question. For example, do you like to watch the History Channel on television? There must be plenty of other clues to help you decide whether you're a skim first/re-visit person or a make-choices/in-depth person.

I'm in the second group. I'll always choose to hire a guide to get the maximum out of each destination. I've taken the underground tour offered by the guides employed by the Colosseum. Highly recommended.

I used a private company to tour the Forum. Although the Colosseum and Forum are neighbors, I don't believe the Colosseum employees offer tours of the Forum.

We also booked a guided tour for the Vatican & Sistine Chapel thru their website and are doing the same thing for our Oct. trip (travelling with different folks). It was very informative and since this is the only tour they do I would think the guides know more than a guide with an outside tour company would. JMO

We also took advantage of tours of the Colosseum being offered just outside of it as we had not pre-booked anything for that.

Have a great trip!

Marge

As it is your first time and you only have 2 days book group tours for both places preferably on different days

Spend any other time you have walking and eating. You can easily see the pantheon the Spanish steps the piazza navona etc by just walking

Many churches and other highlights as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you read this board over time you'll notice that two different approaches to first-time touring emerge: the people who see many things superficially trying to decide what to visit in depth on a later trip and the people who limit the things they visit and see those thoroughly. Thinking about your past trips, which approach did you take? If you've never traveled to a place where touring is more central than recreation, think about other parts of your life to help you answer that question. For example, do you like to watch the History Channel on television? There must be plenty of other clues to help you decide whether you're a skim first/re-visit person or a make-choices/in-depth person.

I'm in the second group. I'll always choose to hire a guide to get the maximum out of each destination. I've taken the underground tour offered by the guides employed by the Colosseum. Highly recommended.

I used a private company to tour the Forum. Although the Colosseum and Forum are neighbors, I don't believe the Colosseum employees offer tours of the Forum.

I think this is key. You need to know yourself and how you like to "roll".

For most people, the Vatican museum can be very overwhelming with a lot to see and not much time to see it. Often a guide can help pinpoint some of the true "masterpieces" of the museum and make sure you maximize your time there.

I can say that I've taken the basic tour offered by the Vatican and it's good but probably not fantastic (much depends on the specific guide, of course). There's also a serviceable audio guide.

The Colosseum I'd be on the fence about. But then, I know a considerable amount about Roman history, culture architectural techniques, etc. already. However, there isn't as much "in depth" to take in as there is at the Vatican, and there are a number of good guidebooks and podcasts that cover it well. So if you are someone that normally prefers to see things at your own pace, with some notes to refer to if needed, then IMO a guide isn't necessary at the Colosseum.

You won't see the Underground section of the Colosseum without a guided tour. However, despite all the recent hype, I don't find the underground areas of the Colosseum all that noteworthy. There's a lovely amphitheatre in Pozzuoli (a suburb of Naples) that has a much more intact underground area at no extra charge.....:cool:

I prefer to tour at my own pace provided I have a good guidebook with me. Rick Steves' Rome guidebook is chock full of practical information plus wonderful walking tours and detailed tours of actual sites, such as the Vatican Museums. He particularly is good on art IMO.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful feedback - this is why I love cruise critic! In the past we've only really been on trips for pure recreation. I have Rick Steve's Rome and Mediterranean cruise books and I have been pouring through them. I love the history behind things, so I'm thinking we may well be in the boat for wanting in depth information. Sounds like a guide in the Vatican would be warranted for sure. Thanks again for the recommendations! We are staying at Hotel Smeraldo near campo de fiori, so everything should be pretty walkable too!

I love the history behind things, so I'm thinking we may well be in the boat for wanting in depth information. Sounds like a guide in the Vatican would be warranted for sure.

If you're only considering two tours, I recommend you choose the Vatican and the Forum over the Vatican and the Colosseum.

The Forum is more confusing than the Colosseum. (Besides, anyone who wants a refresher course in the Colosseum can watch the movie Gladiator.)

We all say "forum" -- the singular Latin word -- but in reality, we're seeing the ruins of many "fora" built by many emperors over several centuries. Historically, all of buildings represented by all the exposed foundations would not have been visible at the same time.

If you're interested in making sense of which emperor built which building and what the structures tell us about Roman society at the time you'll need a good guide book or the services of a guide. The Roman Forum by David Watkins is worth reading beforehand and bringing on your visit if you don't want to hire a guide.

I especially recommend you visit Trajan's Market that's located close to the Forum/Colosseum. It's a triple treat: the oldest shopping mall, one of the most intact structures associated with the Forum, and now in use as a museum of the on-going archaeology of the Forum.

I think this is key. You need to know yourself and how you like to "roll".

For most people, the Vatican museum can be very overwhelming with a lot to see and not much time to see it. Often a guide can help pinpoint some of the true "masterpieces" of the museum and make sure you maximize your time there.

I can say that I've taken the basic tour offered by the Vatican and it's good but probably not fantastic (much depends on the specific guide, of course). There's also a serviceable audio guide.

The Colosseum I'd be on the fence about. But then, I know a considerable amount about Roman history, culture architectural techniques, etc. already. However, there isn't as much "in depth" to take in as there is at the Vatican, and there are a number of good guidebooks and podcasts that cover it well. So if you are someone that normally prefers to see things at your own pace, with some notes to refer to if needed, then IMO a guide isn't necessary at the Colosseum.

You won't see the Underground section of the Colosseum without a guided tour. However, despite all the recent hype, I don't find the underground areas of the Colosseum all that noteworthy. There's a lovely amphitheatre in Pozzuoli (a suburb of Naples) that has a much more intact underground area at no extra charge.....:cool:

I agree with cruisemom regarding the need for in depth. I am a Roman History buff and have spend two weeks in Rome on two separate trip, but would still use a guide for some sites.

If you are doing the Forum, I suggest a guide. The Forum is so rich in history it deserves in depth.

Going to Rome just for one day would frustrate me to no end, since thee is so much to see. I think the Sistine Chapel is the most amazing work of art in the World. It is simply amazing. My first visit there, I sat on the hard tile floors with my young Son and we discussed the Last Judgment and other works of art and what they mean. I had an excellent guidebook. They had to pry us out of there.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful feedback - this is why I love cruise critic! In the past we've only really been on trips for pure recreation. I have Rick Steve's Rome and Mediterranean cruise books and I have been pouring through them. I love the history behind things, so I'm thinking we may well be in the boat for wanting in depth information. Sounds like a guide in the Vatican would be warranted for sure. Thanks again for the recommendations! We are staying at Hotel Smeraldo near campo de fiori, so everything should be pretty walkable too!

We have stayed at the Smeraldo twice and enjoyed the location very much. Have a great trip!