Should I feel guilty of not wanting to do tours and just enjoying the cruise?

mozfoz

We are currently planning an Alaskan cruise for next July. While we look forward to Alaska, is it possible to enjoy the cruise without doing any of the excursions? I mean, is it possible to just enjoy the beauty of nature while cruising the waterways and just visiting the ports? I do not need to be convinced that an excursion can be very rewarding and expand the enjoyment of the trip, or to be told what I would be missing. I am asking if anybody enjoyed just being on a ship in Alaska?

Everyone has different measures on how they enjoy a cruise - it's your cruise enjoy it the way you want to! Take this in consideration on evaluating anything you read here on CC, as each poster is going to have a different value system from yourself.

Edited by BearInStPete

You should not feel guilty for doing what you want on vacation.

However, perhaps consider renting a car and just taking a scenic drive in the ports.

I did that, and you can get away from the tourists and crowds, and really enjoy the peacefulness of nature there.

We are looking forward to our Alaska cruise because of the beauty we will see from the ship. We only have one excursion booked, which is to the Yukon. Other than that, I'm sure we will be quite content just walking around and not doing much. We haven't been yet, so I can't say for sure, but I think that the cruise itself will really be the highlight of the trip and not the ports.

is it possible to enjoy the cruise without doing any of the excursions? I mean, is it possible to just enjoy the beauty of nature while cruising the waterways and just visiting the ports? I do not need to be convinced that an excursion can be very rewarding and expand the enjoyment of the trip, or to be told what I would be missing. I am asking if anybody enjoyed just being on a ship in Alaska?

You shouldn't feel guilty if that's what will bring you enjoyment.

My first trip to Alaska was spur of the moment. I didn't have time to plan for any excursions nor did I have the budget. But DIY and low budget go hand in hand. I was on deck at the rail for most of the trip just soaking in the wonderful scenery. My only 'excursions' were a visit to Totem Bight (Ketchikan city bus for $2) and in Skagway, the Yukon Goldrush Museum and a walk to the Goldrush Cemetary and waterfalls at the end of town (free).

I hope that your comment "just visiting the ports" doesn't mean you plan to stay by the pier. There are many lowcost or free things to do at each port that will get you out of town and enjoying the scenery.

Edited by mapleleaves

Absolutely not. It is your vacation and you should spend it the way you want.

I do think the rental car suggestion is good though. It would give you access to more scenery on shore. Excursions can be very scenic too like whale watching in Juneau :D

No matter what you decide.....have a great cruise!

There are plenty of people who do not take any tours, and some stay on the ship in Alaska. The key is to know YOURSELF, if there is any "guilt" then something is wrong with your choice.

IF the priority is to just see "Alaska" from a ship, then it may be a benefit to select the most scenic routing, and consider going on a ship, known for good naturalists. I would suggest round trip Seattle, 7 day cruises, be out of the selection list, and maybe consider either a 14 day round trip, or a round trip Vancouver. Despite, some claiming the one ways are the most scenic, I've actually had more scenic sailing with some round trip Vancouvers, since some cruise lines now sail open ocean across the gulf.

Now sure, but it also sounds like you aren't considering any mainland touring.

We are currently planning an Alaskan cruise for next July. While we look forward to Alaska, is it possible to enjoy the cruise without doing any of the excursions? I mean, is it possible to just enjoy the beauty of nature while cruising the waterways and just visiting the ports? I do not need to be convinced that an excursion can be very rewarding and expand the enjoyment of the trip, or to be told what I would be missing. I am asking if anybody enjoyed just being on a ship in Alaska?

What is it about excursions and tours that you don't like? If its the planning and research that can be all but eliminated by just choosing to do ship tours.

Edited by Karysa

I suppose one of the benefits will be that you'll have the ship to yourself. One of our days in Bermuda last year, our excursion got cancelled and we decided to spend part of the day on the Breakaway. It was positively luxurious having the pools, water park, and restaurants practically empty and to ourselves.

When a friend and I did our "Two Broke Women go to Alaska" trip, we didn't do any excursions, choosing instead to just walk around, grab a coffee and snack from a local place in each port, and "hang out".

It is YOUR vacation. You need to do what is right for YOU.

I've done most of the excursions that interest me in Alaska (seeing as I have ZERO desire to get on a small plane or helicopter :eek: ) so now when I go, I self-guide mostly. The beauty of Alaska is all around, and that is what I am there for ;)

Our first cruise to Alaska we did no excursions...enjoyed walking the ports and the scenery...but most of all just the feeling that we were in Alaska....did this give us an excuse to go back...yes two more times...but even then we only did 1-2 excursions per cruise...did we feel like we missed out on something...no.

When a friend and I did our "Two Broke Women go to Alaska" trip, we didn't do any excursions, choosing instead to just walk around, grab a coffee and snack from a local place in each port, and "hang out".

)

Thats what I'm talking about! That is all I feel I need to do. If not, I'll have cause to return. :D

I had several co-workers go to Alaska this year.

2 different couples came back "disappointed with Alaska". When I inquired why they were disappointed, they said that there was nothing to do in the ports and that they were purely tourist traps with shopping.....

I honestly think they would have greatly enhanced their enjoyment of Alaska if they had gotten out of the port towns and seen some of the beauty of Alaska that the shore excursions provide (either privately or through the ship).

It is your vacation, enjoy it however you want. Personally, I like to get out of the port town and see "Alaska" and not just shops.

No offense, but I have to ask .... if you had known about budget activities at each port like a $2 bus to Totem Bight would you still have chosen the coffee and snack?

No offense, but I have to ask .... if you had known about budget activities at each port like a $2 bus to Totem Bight would you still have chosen the coffee and snack?

"No offense" but why is it so hard for some on here to understand not everyone feels the need for (any) excursions and can enjoy their cruise and port time without doing anything.. :confused:

Money isn't always a determining factor for some of us.

"No offense" but why is it so hard for some on here to understand not everyone feels the need for (any) excursions and can enjoy their cruise and port time without doing anything.. :confused:

No need to get your knickers in a twist, Ashland. :confused:

My question was to Cow Princess because she described their trip as TWO BROKE WOMEN GO TO ALASKA. Obviously money WAS an issue so that's why I asked her.

Her question makes sense when she was quoting Cow Princess who called their trip "Two Broke Women go to Alaska". One would assume they didn't do excursions because money was a factor on that trip.

I am not being critical of Cow Princess as I booked a Christmas cruise once when I wasn't planning on another cruise/travel that year but the price was really good and sort of did the same thing.

Edited by Coral

No need to get your knickers in a twist, Ashland. :confused:

My question was to Cow Princess because she described their trip as TWO BROKE WOMEN GO TO ALASKA. Obviously money WAS an issue so that's why I asked her.

I was just asking a question too...:)

Even if you do not think that you will want to step foot off the ship at any of the ports, it is still a good idea to familiarize yourself in advance with the sights and activities that are available at each port so that you can make informed choices.

Using the aforementioned example for Ketchikan, if you realize that you have no interest in either Totem Bight or Potlatch Park and choose not to visit them because they have no appeal for you, that is fine and there is nothing wrong with skipping them.

But it would be a shame to return from an expensive Alaska cruise, only to discover later that you missed out on two great totem pole parks, plus the big garage full of antique cars, all of which you could have visited for the price of a $2 bus ride, (and only half price for senior citizens).

The same is true for the other ports that offer free or low cost attractions.

At least find out what each port on your itinerary has to offer before making up your mind about what you do or don't want to see or do there.

But it would be a shame to return from an expensive Alaska cruise, only to discover later that you missed out on two great totem pole parks, plus the big garage full of antique cars, all of which you could have visited for the price of a $2 bus ride, (and only half price for senior citizens).

What big garage full of antique cars are you talking about? That might be something I could surprise DH with.

My DW has significant mobility issues and enjoys just being on vacation. A verandah stateroom with a great scenic view and being pampered for two weeks is her idea of a great vacation. Her one excursion is on the Aleutian Ballad Crab Fishing in Ketchikan since she knows the owner.

I am the one doing all of the excursions and photography.

At the end of a cruise, both of us are happy and planning for the next year's visit to Alaska.