Birth certificate CARD on Carnival?!

blondie151o

I've read some older posts .. But can anyone give me some up to date confirmations.

We are sailing in October on the fantasy. My boyfriend & I both have the birth certificate laminated card. A PVP we booked thru said this is fine. I want to make sure this is .. And has anyone used this card recently instead of the long form birth certificate?

Thanks! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never heard of a birth certificate laminated card. I know you need and original birth certificate with a raised seal NOT a hospital birth certificate. If you have the card, don't you have the original birth certificates? That's what you should take in case they won't accept the cards. If you don't have the correct documents, they will not let you board- and you will not get any money back either!

We have been on the Fantasy MANY times. On the 2nd night the captain and officers will be standing outside the Cat's Lounge to meet passengers. Check your daily news for the time- will be before 1st seating and then before 2nd seating in the dining room Take your camera and the cruise director will take your picture with the captain!

I've never heard of a birth certificate laminated card. I know you need and original birth certificate with a raised seal NOT a hospital birth certificate. If you have the card, don't you have the original birth certificates? That's what you should take in case they won't accept the cards. If you don't have the correct documents, they will not let you board- and you will not get any money back either!

We have been on the Fantasy MANY times. On the 2nd night the captain and officers will be standing outside the Cat's Lounge to meet passengers. Check your daily news for the time- will be before 1st seating and then before 2nd seating in the dining room Take your camera and the cruise director will take your picture with the captain!

What does the second paragraph have to do with a birth certificate?

I've read some older posts .. But can anyone give me some up to date confirmations.

We are sailing in October on the fantasy. My boyfriend & I both have the birth certificate laminated card. A PVP we booked thru said this is fine. I want to make sure this is .. And has anyone used this card recently instead of the long form birth certificate?

Thanks! :)

As long as it's a document issued by a government agency I see no reason why it would not work.

I know you need and original birth certificate with a raised seal NOT a hospital birth certificate.

Many jurisdictions do not use a raised seal and the regulations do not require one in any event. The regulations specify that an original or copy may be used (and yes, that means a photocopy of your birth certificate). A birth certificate issued by a government authority is valid regardless of it's form (although if one is applying for a passport the State Department does require the long form with the parents' names on it).

Being from 2006 that thread appears to have outdated information- baptismal records are not valid proof of citizenship and a search for "laminated birth certificate" on the cbp.gov website returned no results. Here is what CBP says today:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization).

Found here:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-program-background/docs-land-sea

And even CBP gives the same advice that navybankerteacher gave: check with your cruise line to be sure.

I've never heard of a birth certificate laminated card. I know you need and original birth certificate [with a raised seal NOT a hospital birth certificate. If you have the card, don't you have the original birth certificates? That's what you should take in case they won't accept the cards. If you don't have the correct documents, they will not let you board- and you will not get any money back either!

Having a raised seal is a totally inaccurate statement as most U.S. government agencies no longer use raised seals as it's too easy to counterfeit. In fact most U.S government agencies currently use a seal actually impeded into the fibers of the paper much like a watermark to prevent it from being duplicated by counterfeiters.

As long as it's a US Birth Certificate issued by a government agency such as the City, County or State of Birth and it has seal that's raised, impressed, imbedded or multicolor seal of the registrar it should be acceptable.

To OP as already stated you're best to check directly with the cruise line regarding as to what they'll accept.

Edited by xxoocruiser

This is what my PVP from carnival sent me ...

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

* An original Birth Certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

* A copy of a birth certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics)

* A clear, legible, quality Xerox copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics). The Xerox copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

* Birth Certificate Card

* A Consular report of Birth Abroad

In Regards to Birth Certificates: Guests may obtain a copy of a birth certificate by contacting: The Department of Health and Vital Statistics at: www.vitalchek.com<http://www.vitalchek.com/>. If the guest has laminated their birth certificate, it is acceptable.

AND

Photo Identification

A non-expired Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

* Driver’s License

* Driver’s Permit

* School/Student I.D (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)

* Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

I don't think student/school ID counts as government issued ID.

CCL has to have it right or they get fined if they allow someone to board with documents that don't pass muster. All the regulations call for is a "government issued photo ID" and if a school is a public school the definition fits (of course they don't clarify this in their list but again, if they don't have it right they get fined).

I didn't think a copy of your birth certificate can be used It must be an original.

Actually a FAX of one works, because people who have not remembered to bring them have had theirs FAXed to the cruiseline in order to board.

So a copy works also.

Just cruised carnival in July. 3 out of 4 of us had the laminated card. We had no problems. You will also need a photo I.D. Issued by your state for adults.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just cruised carnival in July. 3 out of 4 of us had the laminated card. We had no problems. You will also need a photo I.D. Issued by your state for adults.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Awesome! Thanks for the info!