what you wish you had bought but didnt

cruisemuse27

we also loved the rug factory presentation and merchandise...I had organized a private tour to ephesus...we had 12 people in our van...it was an amazing tour...but all really complained why we had to stop at the rug factory and the leather factory....

the rug factory was fascinating....and I wish I had bought a rug but the rest of the group, although all enjoyed the presentation and the show, no one else was interested in rug....so no matter how I oohed and ahhed over the selection, did not have the courage to spend a few minutes making the transaction while others were giving me dirty looks....

but when we got to the leather factory....two couples each got a fancy leather coat and we all waited for them for 45 min....

so yes that is my regret...it is not likely we will ge to turkey again...

but we will be in tangier this november, this time I am armed with others who are also interested in doing some shopping and will feel support when faced with those who look down their noses at shopping on a tour....

We never shop when on a trip. We did buy some serious art when were collectors early in our marriage but only from dealers we knew or who were highly recommended.

We would never sign up for any private tour that includes "shopping." I make it known to all of our private drivers in advance that we do not shop.

More cookies in France they had these wonderful cookies & I only bought 1 box wish I had bought more they were soooo good

I do not really regret not buying a rug in Turkey...it would have been nice but at $6000 it was just as well I left it there

I would be like the others & not walk on it ;)

If I see something I really like then I just buy it ......no regrets

I did lug home a a couple of handmade bowls from Belize ..we were driving from the port so no problem

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

we also loved the rug factory presentation and merchandise...I had organized a private tour to ephesus...we had 12 people in our van...it was an amazing tour...but all really complained why we had to stop at the rug factory and the leather factory....

the rug factory was fascinating....and I wish I had bought a rug but the rest of the group, although all enjoyed the presentation and the show, no one else was interested in rug....so no matter how I oohed and ahhed over the selection, did not have the courage to spend a few minutes making the transaction while others were giving me dirty looks....

but when we got to the leather factory....two couples each got a fancy leather coat and we all waited for them for 45 min....

so yes that is my regret...it is not likely we will ge to turkey again...

but we will be in tangier this november, this time I am armed with others who are also interested in doing some shopping and will feel support when faced with those who look down their noses at shopping on a tour....

You know the Ephesus rug companies make selling trips to the states every year. Since we bought something on our last trip -- we get a call from Mustafa whenever he come in the states on one of his selling trips.

It is also why we did a private tour and it do not cost much more than a van tour.

Edited by PaulMCO

You know the Ephesus rug companies make selling trips to the states every year. Since we bought something on our last trip -- we get a call from Mustafa whenever he come in the states on one of his selling trips.

It is also why we did a private tour and it do not cost much more than a van tour.

We bought a rug in Cappadoccia. The guy comes to states every year and calls. Lol

Nothing I regret not buying. I'm a shopper. I see it I like it I buy it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I buy street art from local vendors and then upon my return home, group them, mat, and frame them in simple silver frames and they are my art on the dining room walls. Usually the artist has chosen something famous about their town to paint. The art also engages my guests.

Some are oils, some are prints and are about 2x3ish-3x5ish but they bring great joy and wonderful memories of talking to the artist.

The other thing I buy is something representative of the area for a Christmas tree and then buy another for tiny grand daughter. They aren't really ornaments but rather small objects from that city or country so there is a little piece of murano glass, the blue eye, a handcarved balsa pinecone from Finland, etc.

For the munchkin I put hers in a small box, decorate the outside to represent the country or object, and then put a little booklet inside the box with a pix of the place (artist stall or store) and a little history of the object. There are now enough of them to fill her little tree and her mom puts the boxes under the tree. I love doing it for her and she now enjoys opening the box to see the "treasure". Best of all, she likes to travel!

Bought two rugs on our first O cruise, never looked back, never regretted anything we have purchased. They are lovely reminders of the grand experiences we had, the great people we met, and the beautiful places and people we encountered on our voyages.

The one thing I wish I had bought more of -- and this is a cheap item -- in Strasbourg, France, they solo great kitchen towels which are terry, round, and embroidered with a little Strasbourg logo. They have a cloth loop sewn on for hanging from a hook. I bought two and could sure use some more! Silly, I know - but I can't find such a thing on line, and that is a retreat. They packed well for bringing home.... ah well. Yes, this was on a river cruise, not O.

I regretted that I did not buy one of those lovely Turkish tea sets when I first visited in 2008. Well, this time (May 2014) I purchased one plus a lovely large pottery plate with Turkish designs, and I am very happy with both.

In Rhodes I debated buying a silver handmade cuff with the Greek Key design but didn't.

2 years later we were again in Rhodes and I headed to the same little shop and bought the cuff which was made by the owner! (and the earrings....and Christmas gifts for the girls in my life)

Sometimes in life, you do get second chances!

The nice taxi driver who took us to Ephesus wanted to show us his family's hotel on the drive back. We stopped and, of course it had a rug shop attached. He was a nice young man and having more rugs than we have room for, we politely declined to do more than take a quick look. We had him drop us at the bazaar in Kusadasi where the salesmen were a bit more persistent, but polite.

Now to Tangiers....I once wrote a thread about Tangiers called "Crystal's worst stop ever". Our experience of being bombarded by men wanting to be "guides" in this dirty town was so bad that after about 10 minutes, everyone who rode in on our shuttle turned back and headed for the ship. A comedian from the ship and his wife were walking with us and it was so bad that he later wrote and performed a funny song about Tangiers on the ship.

Now for the worst part...we saw groups of passengers on Crystal shore excursions following guides down the street carrying little Crystal signs. It turns out that at least one of these groups was led to a third floor rug shop, and they were promptly abandoned by their guide and forced to listen to a very long rug presentation. The group included elderly people and others who felt trapped in the rug shop with no way out, having to deal with stairs and not knowing where they were.

Needless to say, when these passengers returned to the ship they gave the shore excursion staff Hell, and rightly so.

I am sure that there are plenty of rugs for sale in Tangiers but I suggest doing a little research and finding your way to a reputable dealer.

Tangiers was one of my favorite ports We did not get one of the drums many men were selling in the streets Next time maybe

I have heard this from others and obviously we all have different experiences, but I thought that it was the nastiest port that I have ever disembarked in and somehow the bus drivers allowed hustlers on our bus, even though we took off from inside the supposedly secure walls of the port, which was not right at all. Then when my wife and I attempted to walk around we were constantly barraged by aggressive, creepy men wanting to be our guides. I realize that they are trying to make a living (by leading us to rug shops) and we tourists must look like quite an appealing opportunity for them, but it was so constant, uncomfortable and annoying, that after sticking it out and walking around about 10 minutes after the rest of our group gave up, we also returned to the bus stop and the ship.

I love Tangiers

I was there for a week when I was in my 20's -- quite a time. Paid to have a cobra around my neck.

Went back 3 years ago with my husband -- paid to have a cobra around my neck (price went up from 25 cents to $2)

I love shopping in the Casbah. There are hidden treasures. I love drinking mint tea with the shopkeepers. I admit it's not for everyone. If you can't stand the pushiness of the vendors, it's not for you.

We will be in Southern Spain for week in 2016 and we plan to take a day trip to Tangiers. Can't wait to go back.

That reminds me of the biggest regret I have of not buying something. About 15 years ago I was in Agadir, Morocco and found a beautiful woven sterling silver ankle bracelet with tiny silver bells on it at a market stall. I kept looking at it, and thinking I could have it adjusted smaller for my wrist.

We were on our way to dinner, and were a bit rushed. The price was high, and kept getting lower while I was standing there. Feeling pressured by the dinner plans, and the decision, and holding people up, I passed on the bracelet and moved on.

To this day, I wish that I had purchased that bracelet.

That reminds me of the biggest regret I have of not buying something. About 15 years ago I was in Agadir, Morocco and found a beautiful woven sterling silver ankle bracelet with tiny silver bells on it at a market stall. I kept looking at it, and thinking I could have it adjusted smaller for my wrist.

We were on our way to dinner, and were a bit rushed. The price was high, and kept getting lower while I was standing there. Feeling pressured by the dinner plans, and the decision, and holding people up, I passed on the bracelet and moved on.

To this day, I wish that I had purchased that bracelet.

You can buy one on the internet -- they are everywhere -- never too late.

That's the difference between 15 years ago and today.

Edited by pacheco18

Hi Loraine,

When I just read your post, I laughed. We were in Tangiers about 18 years ago, and also paid to have a cobra put around my neck, and I have the picture to prove it. I think the cost was so that they would let my husband take a picture.

Yes, the vendors are very aggressive, but we will be with a private guide who hopefully will help keep them away from us. Looking forward to being there in November.

Ellen:)

Hi Loraine,

When I just read your post, I laughed. We were in Tangiers about 18 years ago, and also paid to have a cobra put around my neck, and I have the picture to prove it. I think the cost was so that they would let my husband take a picture.

Yes, the vendors are very aggressive, but we will be with a private guide who hopefully will help keep them away from us. Looking forward to being there in November.

Ellen:)

I wanted to do it twice -- to come full circle. I have two photos -- around 40 years apart. My husband thought I was CRAZY. He refused. LOL

Private guide or not, the vendors are harmless. They are trying to make a living. And BARGAIN HARD. You should pay 1/3 of what they ask. It's part of the experience/culture. Learn how to say "no" and you will be fine. If a vendor annoys you walk into a shop and have mint tea with the shopkeeper.

Fair warning -- some of the private guides may try to steer you to their friends' shops and those shops tend to be more expensive because the guide gets a cut. Beware the herbalists.

There are great buys on unique jewelry, caftans, argan oil and many other things -- if you bargain.

• 4 weeks later...

The one thing I wish I had bought more of -- and this is a cheap item -- in Strasbourg, France, they solo great kitchen towels which are terry, round, and embroidered with a little Strasbourg logo. They have a cloth loop sewn on for hanging from a hook. I bought two and could sure use some more! Silly, I know - but I can't find such a thing on line, and that is a retreat. They packed well for bringing home.... ah well. Yes, this was on a river cruise, not O.

I have at least six of these, imported from France and sold on a stall in Winchester market. Worth a visit to our beautiful, historic city?