Tipping

atdahop

Do you tip when going to the Crown Grill and Sabatinis?
Only if I've received exceptional service. Last March, our experience in the Sterling Steakhouse on the Sapphire was pretty bad (had to send our filets back twice to get a rare medium rare. They were completely raw and purple the first time, partially purple the second. They told us that was "medium rare." Err... no. That and other issues meant no extra tip.

But do the waiters and assistants get to keep the extra tip or does it get pooled?

If you want to tip, then tip. If you don't think the service warranted it, then don't. All the rest is just sound and fury, as someone famous once wrote. It's a reasonable thing for us to know in general terms how the tipping pool works, but I often think we all spend way too much time worried about the particulars of staff compensation which are fundamentally none of our business. Again, if you feel moved to leave a tip, then do so. What happens after that isn't really your concern.

But do the waiters and assistants get to keep the extra tip or does it get pooled?

If you keep the "auto-tip" in place and you give the waiter in a speciality rest., then s/he gets to keep the entire amount. If you've removed the auto tip then that tip gets turned in to be added to the overall tip pool.

If you book with a promotion that includes free specialty dining, the tip is probably not included ( the recent 'Three for Free' specifically said the tip was not included).
The hotel service charge (auto-tip) is not dependent on whether or not you have a promotion nor which dining room, buffet, grill, pizza, Alfredo's, IC or restaurant you eat at.

If you tip extra, they still turn it in to their supervisor who checks whether you've kept the auto-tip on or not. If you've left it on, they get to keep it. If you've removed it, it goes into the pool.

If you keep the "auto-tip" in place and you give the waiter in a speciality rest., then s/he gets to keep the entire amount. If you've removed the auto tip then that tip gets turned in to be added to the overall tip pool.

I've been told that tips added to any bill go to the tip pool & if giving cash (keeping auto tip) then the server gets to keep it. That's why when I feel it's appropriate to give an additional tip I always do it in cash so the person who provided excellent service to me is the one that gets to keep it. :)

I've been told that tips added to any bill go to the tip pool & if giving cash (keeping auto tip) then the server gets to keep it. That's why when I feel it's appropriate to give an additional tip I always do it in cash so the person who provided excellent service to me is the one that gets to keep it. :)

Yes. I failed to include that piece, thanks. I leave the auto tip on and I leave a cash tip, rather than adding it to "the bill", so the waiter keeps the tip.

I guess I'll keep that in mind... We only dined at Sabatini's one time (we won the cover charge in the sailaway raffle), and the waiter was great, I made sure to tip him, but I didn't have cash on me, had to just write the tip into the bill. Oh well.

I guess I'll keep that in mind... We only dined at Sabatini's one time (we won the cover charge in the sailaway raffle), and the waiter was great, I made sure to tip him, but I didn't have cash on me, had to just write the tip into the bill. Oh well.

Many passengers are unaware of the procedure so I like to share it with anyone who wants their server to keep any tip they may deem appropriate.

That's what I've read for years now. We don't mind tipping a little extra if the service warrants it but only to the waiter himself not back into the big pool so others who don't contribute directly to our upgraded service benefit by it.

The hotel service charge (auto-tip) is not dependent on whether or not you have a promotion nor which dining room, buffet, grill, pizza, Alfredo's, IC or restaurant you eat at.

If you tip extra, they still turn it in to their supervisor who checks whether you've kept the auto-tip on or not. If you've left it on, they get to keep it. If you've removed it, it goes into the pool.

The Three For Three promotion, which we had on the Grand to Alaska in June did not include any tip for the Crown Grill (which was one of the 'free' parts of the promotion). This was very clear on the reservation card left in the cabin.

The Three For Three promotion, which we had on the Grand to Alaska in June did not include any tip for the Crown Grill (which was one of the 'free' parts of the promotion). This was very clear on the reservation card left in the cabin.

They actually printed a statement that said there was no tip included?

Only if I've received exceptional service. Last March, our experience in the Sterling Steakhouse on the Sapphire was pretty bad (had to send our filets back twice to get a rare medium rare. They were completely raw and purple the first time, partially purple the second. They told us that was "medium rare." Err... no. That and other issues meant no extra tip.

But the servers weren't the ones cooking the food. It was the chef's fault that the steaks were raw. Why punish them? Unless there were service or attitude issues you didn't mention.

So you blamed the server for the kitchen's error? Nice.