$2 bills

train460

I like to leave $2 bills as tips at restaraunts (when i can get them)

Would this be ok on the ship or would the crew members think this is "funny money"? Frown upon? etc

Most waiters and waitresses love to see them here but you would be suprised on how many times i have had to use them for say at a fast food place and the cashier, not being from the USA then refuse the bills because of being fake.

Michael

I like to leave $2 bills as tips at restaraunts (when i can get them)

Would this be ok on the ship or would the crew members think this is "funny money"? Frown upon? etc

Most waiters and waitresses love to see them here but you would be suprised on how many times i have had to use them for say at a fast food place and the cashier, not being from the USA then refuse the bills because of being fake.

Michael

Why??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Alot of people see them as a novelty as they are not easily available.

Some people see them as rare when all you have to do is ask your bank teller if they have any.

Again i have never had any negative comments about them but for a foreign national that doesn't know any better.

will just stick to the singles i guess

Michael

I would not accept one as change. No one uses them in daily commerce. There is no place in a cash drawer for them.

What's to love about them?

So you would not accept legal US currency as payment?

guess i could always pay in rolls of pennies then?

Michael

i could always pay in rolls of pennies then?

Michael

Wrong. No one is required to accept a denomination of money in any quantity that exceed another denomination if they so choose. In other words, no more than four pennies, one, nickel, two two dimes, three quarters, four dollars, etc...

I haven't seen anyone refuse a $2 bill. But that still doesn't make it charming, just annoying.

Back to your original comment, you use a $2 bill to tip at restaurants? Either you aren't a big spender on meals out, our you're a lousy tipper!:D

So you would not accept legal US currency as payment?

guess i could always pay in rolls of pennies then?

Michael

My DW was a pari-mutual teller at a horsetrack and several old ladies thought it cute to use $2 bills to place $2 bets...but they would refuse to get paid with those same $2 bills if they won.

So, tipping on a cruise ship with $1 coins or $2 bills is a pain to those getting the tips. What's the point other than trying to be cute?

If you get your kicks handing out $2 bills, knock yourself out. If the person doesn't want them, then put them back in your pocket and go on your merry way. Like others have commented, I don't really see the point but to each his own.

Some people want to be remembered. They may think that the $2 bills will make them remembered in a positive way, but in reality at best most will just think they are weird for handing out $2 bills. Of course the recipients are not going to complain to the giver. Or give them back. But behind their back.....

Edited by Charles4515

$2 bills are a pain and no one likes them... just ask the guy who was arrested at Best Buy after paying with them:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2005-03-08/news/0503080089_1_bolesta-pole-baltimore-county

If that happens on the US main land I can imagine that it's pretty difficult to spend them overseas (i.e in most ports).

Edited by Videophile

They are a bit of a novelty & I think some people might keep them as a lucky piece.

I always have coffee delivered to the room at 7 am & give a $2. bill as a tip.....from what I have read on these boards some people give NOTHING for a room service tip...I know, you do not have to give them anything.

I get them from the bank & only give brand new ones out. I am sure if they do not like them, they can just exchange them at the cashier.

$2 bills are a pain and no one likes them... just ask the guy who was arrested at Best Buy after paying with them:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2005-03-08/news/0503080089_1_bolesta-pole-baltimore-county

If that happens on the US main land I can imagine that it's pretty difficult to spend them overseas (i.e in most ports).

What a perfect lawsuit......going to call Judge Judy for this one.

My stepdad loves to get $2 bills for tipping with. And kids love $2 bills. But I wouldn't try to tip with them on a cruise ship just because they would be harder for the employees to use in port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't get tipping with them either, just seems silly.

But back to the original question, I would NOT give them to cruise ship employees and force them to find something to do with them outside the US.:rolleyes: Just handing them an inconvenience......

I don't get tipping with them either, just seems silly.

cruise ship employees and force them to find something to do with them outside the US.:rolleyes: Just handing them an inconvenience......

so what do they then do with the OTHER american dollars that they get?

It seems that most here seem to think that they are not real us currency as they are. but whatever.

i was just asking as in MY experience everyone that i have given them to have liked them. I have had several times where i was asked if i had any more.

no big deal. just asking.

Michael

I did that on a cruise 6 years ago. The bartenders liked them. I asked a few weeks ago on CC if people still tip with $1.00 coins today and was told staff won't like it. I was disappointed. I think it's a good way for the staff to remember you. :rolleyes:

I only tip with Susan B. Anthony's.

so what do they then do with the OTHER american dollars that they get?

It seems that most here seem to think that they are not real us currency as they are. but whatever.

i was just asking as in MY experience everyone that i have given them to have liked them. I have had several times where i was asked if i had any more.

no big deal. just asking.

Michael

I ALWAYS tip with $2 bills. I find that people love them. When I travel and a bellmen brings my bags to my room I give them the option of the $2 bill or a five. Over half the time they take the $2. Valet/bartenders/maids seem to give me better service since I switched several years ago.

To each their own