New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I know this question must have been answered before but I really don't want to read 306 pages.

Can I use OBC for gratuities?

Anywhere I can see drink menus as we have a drink package and I want to try new drinks

Thanks for all the help this thread provides.

22 minutes ago, lb0103 said:

Can I use OBC for gratuities?

You can use the OBC for the daily Crew Appreciation and the gratuities that are automatically added to beverages and meals plus any optional tip you add to drinks at bars. The amount will be deducted first from non-refundable OBC and then from refundable OBC.

You cannot use it for the optional tips you may give to room stewards, MDR waiters, etc. as there is no slip for you to sign.

22 minutes ago, lb0103 said:

Anywhere I can see drink menus as we have a drink package and I want to try new drinks

You can find a wealth of beverage lists and menus at https://rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/  It has been compiled by Crew News

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2024 at 11:06 AM, Sea42 said:

In addition to HIA included dinners, some travel agents gift dinners to their clients.

That is more the answer I had in mind. We have HIA and thus have a canaletto meal, but I don't consider that as "complimentary"... I consider that as included in the package :-). When I think of complimentary, I think - something is broken in my room and they give me a complimentary meal as a compensation 🙂

Edited by Steerpike58
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2024 at 8:42 AM, Steerpike58 said:

I'm on the oosterdam now and there is NO self serve espresso machine to be found in the lido.  I asked several severs and looked everywhere.  They told me there's no way to order one ... I must go to explorations cafe on 11 (crow's nest).  

I did further investigation today. I spoke to several servers in the lido, and also went to the bar nearest the lido and asked. They said the only specialty coffees are available from explorations Cafe, or the main dining room as part of breakfast. I then went wandering around the ship, and I did notice a self-serve espresso machine in the Neptune lounge, but that's off limits to me. 

We are very disappointed overall with the lido, so we are probably going to start using the main dining room for breakfast. We only want the most basic things like toast and fresh fruit, so didn't really want to have to go to the trouble of sitting at a table and being waited on, but the lido is an absolute zoo pretty much all the time, and it is stressing us out. There are never any clean, empty tables to sit at. We have to scour the area and find a dirty table that's no longer occupied, and then try to flag down a server to clear it off, then hope you can get a place setting, then wait for someone to deliver coffee, or get it yourself from the dispensers. If you get your food and beverage first, then you end up carrying it around with you doing the hunt for tables. (yesterday at lunch, my salad ended up all over the floor as someone bumped into me while we were waiting for a table to be cleared off!)

The food itself is not bad, but the selection is limited. We just got off a Viking Ocean Cruise last month and the difference between Viking's buffet (world cafe) and the lido is truly night and day (Holland America's main dining room was good for dinner I have to say - club orange meant we got seated quickly and the quality was comparable to Viking's restaurant). We had 12 meals at Viking world Cafe and thoroughly enjoyed every one, not bothering to go to the dining room at all.

The big plus, so far, for this Holland America cruise is that we were able to upgrade to a signature suite and still not pay more than Viking. Having a bigger room is a very big plus. It is however almost a necessity, because there are far fewer peaceful seating areas around the ship so we find ourselves spending much more time in our room. Viking ocean ships have an absolute abundance of spacious, quiet, relaxing areas where it's a real pleasure to just sit around and read or relax. But the cruise is still young, and we may find better places to hang out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steerpike58 said:

I did further investigation today. I spoke to several servers in the lido, and also went to the bar nearest the lido and asked. They said the only specialty coffees are available from explorations Cafe, or the main dining room as part of breakfast. I then went wandering around the ship, and I did notice a self-serve espresso machine in the Neptune lounge, but that's off limits to me. 

We are very disappointed overall with the lido, so we are probably going to start using the main dining room for breakfast. We only want the most basic things like toast and fresh fruit, so didn't really want to have to go to the trouble of sitting at a table and being waited on, but the lido is an absolute zoo pretty much all the time, and it is stressing us out. There are never any clean, empty tables to sit at. We have to scour the area and find a dirty table that's no longer occupied, and then try to flag down a server to clear it off, then hope you can get a place setting, then wait for someone to deliver coffee, or get it yourself from the dispensers. If you get your food and beverage first, then you end up carrying it around with you doing the hunt for tables. (yesterday at lunch, my salad ended up all over the floor as someone bumped into me while we were waiting for a table to be cleared off!)

The food itself is not bad, but the selection is limited. We just got off a Viking Ocean Cruise last month and the difference between Viking's buffet (world cafe) and the lido is truly night and day (Holland America's main dining room was good for dinner I have to say - club orange meant we got seated quickly and the quality was comparable to Viking's restaurant). We had 12 meals at Viking world Cafe and thoroughly enjoyed every one, not bothering to go to the dining room at all.

The big plus, so far, for this Holland America cruise is that we were able to upgrade to a signature suite and still not pay more than Viking. Having a bigger room is a very big plus. It is however almost a necessity, because there are far fewer peaceful seating areas around the ship so we find ourselves spending much more time in our room. Viking ocean ships have an absolute abundance of spacious, quiet, relaxing areas where it's a real pleasure to just sit around and read or relax. But the cruise is still young, and we may find better places to hang out!

Can you take your Lido food out on the pool deck?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaisonRose said:

Can you take your Lido food out on the pool deck?

That's the only place Her Majesty and I enjoy our lido meals.....the mid ship pool deck....There is also a "private" refill station out there.....I say "private" because it is usually not very busy for breakfast......Lunchtime "rush hour" is busy out there but other times it is much calmer for us vs the "inside" seating. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

We only want the most basic things like toast and fresh fruit,

You can order this from room service. It is complimentary.  Hang the tag on the door before you go to bed and it will be delivered at the time you request.

• Like 3

I'm asking because I just read a post on another forum that said we are not able to disembark from HAL ships with our own luggage right at the beginning of disembakation. I thought I had read somewhere that so long as we are near the exit around 7or 7:30, with luggage in hand,we would be able to take our own luggage off and get through customs before most people are even up and getting ready to leave the ship.

Has something changed or are we able to take our own things off and leave early?

22 minutes ago, AMOttawa said:

I'm asking because I just read a post on another forum that said we are not able to disembark from HAL ships with our own luggage right at the beginning of disembakation. I thought I had read somewhere that so long as we are near the exit around 7or 7:30, with luggage in hand,we would be able to take our own luggage off and get through customs before most people are even up and getting ready to leave the ship.

Has something changed or are we able to take our own things off and leave early?

Yes, you are allowed to self disembark as soon as the ship allows it. But don't plan on just walking right off. There will be many others doing the same thing.

• Like 2

Just now, AMOttawa said:

I'm good with being part of a pack getting off. I just want to make sure I have enough time to get to the airport for our 1:45pm flight.

What port?

19 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

I did further investigation today. I spoke to several servers in the lido, and also went to the bar nearest the lido and asked. They said the only specialty coffees are available from explorations Cafe, or the main dining room as part of breakfast.......

Thanks for posting your views of your cruise.  It helps others in their planning. 

On many HAL ships, Specialty coffees are available from 7:00 - 9:00 AM in the Pinnacle Bar on Deck2.  Check the back page of your Daily Program to see what time the Pinnacle Bar opens.

Finding tables in the Lido works best by tag teaming:  leaving one person to hold the table and then take turns getting food.  You can always take food back to your stateroom.

The Lido also has several 8-top community (sharing) tables near the exit to the outdoor pool.  Feel free to ask if you can join those seated there.  It is an opportunity to meet fellow passengers. 

It is my experience that there are always open tables by the indoor pool at breakfast time.  As a solo, I eat there several times each cruise. 

Have you tried the Taco Bar next to the indoor pool?  A big plate of nachos for afternoon snacks in your stateroom is a real treat.

Have you seen the new Pinnacle Grill Menu (blue decor) on your Navigator app?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AMOttawa said:

I'm good with being part of a pack getting off. I just want to make sure I have enough time to get to the airport for our 1:45pm flight.

Based on your previous posts, i assume you will be departing from the Canada Place cruise terminal and heading for the Vancouver airport.

The line for self-disembarkation begins forming a bit after 6:00 AM.  You may wait in the taxi line for up to one hour with passengers from other ships for the 40-minute ride to the airport.  Note that most airlines will not allow check-in more than four hours before flight.  If you catch a taxi at 8:00 AM, you will be standing in the airline check-in line until 9:45 AM and probably seated at your gate at 10:30 AM.

An alternative for your 1:45 PM flight (my last three flights have been around the same time and I strongly recommend) is taking the HAL airport bus that will leave the cruise terminal around 9:00 AM. The bus will arrive around 10:15 AM and you will be seated at your gate by 11:00 AM.  Bus cost was $29 p/p two months ago.

Taking the bus allows you to sleep later, have a relaxed breakfast/Room Service, leave the ship around 8:30 AM with HAL taking care of your luggage, no waiting in line for taxis, and still be at your gate nearly three hours before your flight departs.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

Based on your previous posts, i assume you will be departing from the Canada Place cruise terminal and heading for the Vancouver airport.

The line for self-disembarkation begins forming a bit after 6:00 AM.  You may wait in the taxi line for up to one hour with passengers from other ships for the 40-minute ride to the airport.  Note that most airlines will not allow check-in more than four hours before flight.  If you catch a taxi at 8:00 AM, you will be standing in the airline check-in line until 9:45 AM and probably seated at your gate at 10:30 AM.

An alternative for your 1:45 PM flight (my last three flights have been around the same time and I strongly recommend) is taking the HAL airport bus that will leave the cruise terminal around 9:00 AM. The bus will arrive around 10:15 AM and you will be seated at your gate by 11:00 AM.  Bus cost was $29 p/p two months ago.

Taking the bus allows you to sleep later, have a relaxed breakfast/Room Service, leave the ship around 8:30 AM with HAL taking care of your luggage, no waiting in line for taxis, and still be at your gate nearly three hours before your flight departs.. 

Or skip the taxi line and order an Uber. We did that last Saturday disembarking on the Volendam in Montreal. There was a line with at least 100 or more passengers waiting for a Taxi, we ordered an Uber and had a ride in less than 10 minutes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

Taking the bus allows you to sleep later, have a relaxed breakfast/Room Service

I have read here on CC that room service is no longer offered on the final morning.

9 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I have read here on CC that room service is no longer offered on the final morning.

It was not available last Saturday on the Volendam disembarkation, only the MDR and Lido was open.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

It was not available last Saturday on the Volendam disembarkation, only the MDR and Lido was open.

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is true 

That is one service cut that really is unfortunate! We enjoyed having a quiet last morning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

That is one service cut that really is unfortunate! We enjoyed having a quiet last morning.

We do too, the MDR on the Volendam last Saturday was slow and the food and service was not the same quality as earlier in the cruise. I requested sunny side up eggs and got over easy, my wife's omelet was not made with fresh eggs as requested but the premixed horrible egg mixture. The Lido was a zoo all morning. This was probably our only big complaint on the whole cruise.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

Thanks for posting your views of your cruise.  It helps others in their planning. 

On many HAL ships, Specialty coffees are available from 7:00 - 9:00 AM in the Pinnacle Bar on Deck2.  Check the back page of your Daily Program to see what time the Pinnacle Bar opens.

Finding tables in the Lido works best by tag teaming:  leaving one person to hold the table and then take turns getting food.  You can always take food back to your stateroom.

The Lido also has several 8-top community (sharing) tables near the exit to the outdoor pool.  Feel free to ask if you can join those seated there.  It is an opportunity to meet fellow passengers. 

It is my experience that there are always open tables by the indoor pool at breakfast time.  As a solo, I eat there several times each cruise. 

Have you tried the Taco Bar next to the indoor pool?  A big plate of nachos for afternoon snacks in your stateroom is a real treat.

Have you seen the new Pinnacle Grill Menu (blue decor) on your Navigator app?

Hello, Crew News,

Great tips. My wife and I tag team in the Lido Buffet once we find a table. I am not a coffee drinker (even though I live in Starbucks home area) but the Pinnacle Bar sounds intriguing for my wife. We have dined outside near the Lido, weather permitting. Indoor poolside not so much. Too noisy. Except when dining at NY Pizza/Deli (not really NY pizza or deli).

Jim