need an opinion from those who have flown out of RIO

beachchairs2

Rio was fine for us (i.e., no extra time needed than the typical 3 hours for international departure), but not sure if anything's changed because of the World Cup and the preparations for the 2016 Olympics.

We flew out of Rio and connected through Sao Paolo. Now that was a disaster airport!

Traffic was a nightmare for us several years ago and glad we started out about 4 hours prior to our flight. Checkin equally bad took over an hour just to get to security.

Have heard other horror stories so make sure you have a great transfer and better to be waiting at the gate for the plane rather than at the gate watching the plane taxi away.

Last December we were at airport at 5:00 for a 11:30 pm flight. We arrived to find the flight cancelled due to weather in USA. We just got in the line up with our luggage and moved forward to an agent who then got us on another flight that actually left earlier than our original to JFK. THIS WAS A SUNDAY. Traffic was very light and easy for our all day tour with a private guide. If you are flying out during the week you will have to get better advice of what the gridlock is like.

It's been 7 years since we flew out of Rio, so things might have changed, but I doubt it from reports since then. If we never do it again it will be too soon.

We arrived at 4 PM for an 8:30 PM flight. Between check in and security we spent 4 hours in line, arriving at the gate to find them already boarding. After a 45 minute flight to Sao Paulo, we were herded back out of the security zone and forced to wait in line once again to go back through security.

The direct flight from Sao Paulo to Miami was without incident, but I swear that's only because Brazilians could not reach us.

Regulars to this forum know me as reasonable and tolerant, rarely espousing such a negative view. Enough said.

It's been 7 years since we flew out of Rio, so things might have changed, but I doubt it from reports since then. If we never do it again it will be too soon.

Regulars to this forum know me as reasonable and tolerant, rarely espousing such a negative view. Enough said.

Agree with you 100%. It was a nightmare! I would consider what day of the week you will be departing and also check to make certain that there are no holidays or special events on that day. It took us four hours to get to the airport on a day where there was some event. We would have missed the plane but it was held since so many passengers had not arrived at the airport yet.

I would allow 5 hours but this is just a guess!

thank you everyone...

let me throw something else into the mix...

we are flying out on thurs nov 20...it is a national holiday in rio...black consciousness day.....

so now when should we start to head back to the airport from our private tour that day?

3 hours will not work. We were there at Carnival time and it took 2 hours to drive to the airport midweek.. At the Rio airports, it took us around 3 hours to check in, get through security. We had to go through Sao Paulo to get home as there was no direct flight from Rio. Sao Paulo was a nightmare, must as described by Don above. You had to come out of the secured area, go find your next airline you were traveling on to get back to the US/Canada, receive a voucher which then let you go through security. Security in Sao Paulo is the worst I have ever had to endure. We had 5 hours between flights and we would not have made our flight if we had not had 5 hours. Trying to get answers on where to find your airline counter, trying to get through security (not very happy workers and they took it out on the passengers). Once you got to the gate, not enough seats for everyone to sit on to wait. Dirtiest washrooms, I have ever seen in an airport. I'm with Don, never again will I go back to Brazil. Glad we went, saw everything we wanted to see.

wow...so now it looks like we need 6 hours at the airport ...

and how many hours to get to it?

our private tour ends at 4.. I will have to have a conversation with our guide about all of this..

you would think things would improve in time for the olympics....

wonder why rio got the green light from the IOC to hold it there anyway...lots of other places vied for this honour that have no airport issues.....hmm....thats a whole other topic for a whole different board....

Everyone is telling the absolute truth about the Rio airport. We did take an internal flight to Iguazu. There were no issues with that flight. However, when we went back to the Rio airport to catch our direct flight to Atlanta it was an absolute nightmare. It was a Thursday. We got to the airport about 5:30-6:00 for our 10:30 pm flight. There was no line--just everyone crowding in a group. Tempers were flying. Make certain you have eaten before heading to the airport as there isn't much at the airport. Last December they were remodeling the gate areas. Very few lights so it was hard to see. The rest rooms were absolutely filthy. We did not find that in other parts of Brazil thank heavens. Also remember the gates do not open until a few hours before the flight. All the flights left one right after each other so there were many waiting. Fortunately I slept the whole way home.

My husband's thoughts are the same as Don's. Anytime is too soon. However, we are booked on the CapeTown to Rio Transatlantic. He is not happy about returning to the Rio airport. Hopefully there will be no weather issues as it will be December.

We did enjoy our time in Brazil.

Pearl

What if one has a direct from Rio to the US (i.e., does not have to fly through Sao Paulo)?

You still should have more than 3 hours. The airport is not known for efficiency. This is one airport that you need to keep an eye on your luggage when arriving. We flew back from the Falls, and our luggage came through but our friends did not. We kept waiting with them and after 30 minutes, someone peaked out from behind the curtain where the luggage is put on the carousel and finally sent out the luggage that was remaining. If people had not waited, their luggage would have gone missing. We were warned about that before we flew in.

wow...so now it looks like we need 6 hours at the airport ...

and how many hours to get to it?

our private tour ends at 4.. I will have to have a conversation with our guide about all of this..

you would think things would improve in time for the olympics....

wonder why rio got the green light from the IOC to hold it there anyway...lots of other places vied for this honour that have no airport issues.....hmm....thats a whole other topic for a whole different board....

Have your guide drop you off at the airport. That is what we did. It worked out quite well for us and we did not have to deal with a taxi.

I would say it was the absolute worst airport experience we ever had. Just be patient and ready for anything. Long lines, rude staff, nothing to eat or drink after security, maybe a warm beer but little else at the food and drink stand. No air conditioning, cattle call waiting area for flight to be called. I hope things have changed since last year.

I think that many of us are scratching our heads about the Olympics in Rio. In terms of traffic, there isn't too much that can be done. The roads have to go around bays -- no room to expand, etc. Perhaps they will build new bridges.

It took us four hours to get to the airport from a hotel in downtown Rio. The trip should be under 2 hours.

As others have said, have a lot of patience and you should be fine. We have cancelled THREE cruises that were going to end in Rio (kept booking because we really wanted to do the cruise but chickened out). We are not booked on a cruise starting in Rio -- hopefully it will be easier:-)

Here is something else to research...which terminal is your airline leaving from. Our guide left us with the driver for our transport to the airport. That was fine with us as he had a Sunday evening family commitment. The guide was positive which terminal we should be dropped at and of course it was the wrong one. Not the drivers fault with no English. Eight of us pulling huge bags after a long cruise walked to the next terminal. Not the end of the world, but we did not need that as we discovered six of us had cancelled flights into Dallas. For sure...do not go hungry.

yes our guide is definitely dropping us off at the airport...

so for 10pm flights, should we be at the airport by 4:30?

Sounds a bit excessive to me, but then I haven't departed Rio, just arrived.

I think the big issue is the traffic and the time it takes to get to the airport. Your guide should be able to guestimate that, depending on the time of day.

I have flown out of Rio 3 times- I would recommend getting a lounge pass- it made a world of difference. The first experience was a real nightmare- 3 hours of endless lines before getting through security. No air conditioning in the airport. We were all sweating and swelling. The employees said the air works sometimes but usually not when it is hot:eek:!

The lounge pass - we flew American- gave us a green light through the mass of people. We actually were in the lounge (very crowded but cool) in less than 45 minutes- we had arrived 5 hours early and they delayed the flight an hour. I can't imagine how it will be for the Olympics!

Good luck!

We flew out in early December. There *was* food of a sort, but it was just expensive snack food. Not even real sandwiches. We had assumed we could get dinner there but could not.

Mura