NJ Terminal for Explorer of the Seas

Hi...we leave in 4 days !!!!! What is the procedure at the terminal? We are being dropped off. Is there an easy way? I read somewhere we have to take a shuttle at some point. Is that before or after we drop off luggage. Traveling with 2 kids ( 10 & 12 ). Just want it to be as stress free as possible. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Hi...we leave in 4 days !!!!! What is the procedure at the terminal? We are being dropped off. Is there an easy way? I read somewhere we have to take a shuttle at some point. Is that before or after we drop off luggage. Traveling with 2 kids ( 10 & 12 ). Just want it to be as stress free as possible. Thanks in advance.

Chris

The last time we were there was December '12. I know they are re-doing the terminal and perhaps someone with more recent experience can correct me if I am wrong, but in our experience you can be dropped off and a porter will take your luggage to the terminal if you want. The shuttle you refer to is from the terminal to the ship after you check in, which is about a 2 minute, 1 block ride on buses the run continuously. No stress.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The last time we were there was December '12. I know they are re-doing the terminal and perhaps someone with more recent experience can correct me if I am wrong, but in our experience you can be dropped off and a porter will take your luggage to the terminal if you want. The shuttle you refer to is from the terminal to the ship after you check in, which is about a 2 minute, 1 block ride on buses the run continuously. No stress.

As of June it was the still the same procedure as you indicated.

Chris

Tip the luggage takers.

When we took the Explorer in April, we had a private car and as we approached the terminal, it was backed up so give yourself plenty of time. Terminal was also wall to wall people. Shuttle was not too bad as our bus had three doors to board. I think it took longer coming back, though. At least it seemed like it did.

Tip the luggage takers.

You got that right.... One time at Bayonne, we were apparently too slow with the tip.. The porter reminded us in his heavy NY/NJ accent that they work for tips.... :rolleyes: Besides, if you did not tip them, you luggage "might" get mis-placed..... :eek:

You got that right.... One time at Bayonne, we were apparently too slow with the tip.. The porter reminded us in his heavy NY/NJ accent that they work for tips.... :rolleyes: Besides, if you did not tip them, you luggage "might" get mis-placed..... :eek:

We are arriving in NY on Quantum of the seas in November and would appreciate some advice on tipping.

Do the porters get a wage or do they only get the tips?

If they get a wage what amount per hour is it likely to be.

The same questions also apply to servers in restaurants and bars.

You help would be appreciated.

In the UK we do not have the quite the same culture. Anyone in a job has to be paid at least the minimum wage which is around about 9 USD an hour. So if the service is good a 10 % tip is the norm.

thanks

Edited by Lindypops

I do not know the exact salaries of the porters, I do know they get paid very well down at the port, I still tip them anywhere from $5-$10 total. it depends how much luggage we bring on board. On embarkation day, we do tip more as the porter walks us to our car with the luggage.

If I had a porter tell me they work for tips, I would have reported him immediately to his superior. I have never experience or heard a porter say to any passenger they work for tips. And I have seem people not tipping at all.

Guest maddycat

We give the luggage handlers $5 for our 2 suitcases. I have no idea if they are paid hourly or if they work only for tips. It's really none of my business. The custom here is to tip porters and we do.

As far as restaurant/bar servers.......In the US they are paid below minimum wage. Their main income is from tips. In the NY/NJ area most diners tip between 15% and 20% of the check at restaurants and bars.

When we were there last Dec., I saw signs that said no tipping was necessary. Not sure of the wording, but we do tip, but I don't like the attitude of the porters there. :rolleyes: They scream and yell too much for me. I'm not too fond of the terminal, but like the Explorer, so put up with it. Our upcoming cruise at the end of this month will be our last cruise from there until the new terminal is finished. Hopefully it will be better than it is now. Especially at debarkation. That is usually a mess. JMO.

Gwen :)

When we were there last Dec., I saw signs that said no tipping was necessary. Not sure of the wording, but we do tip, but I don't like the attitude of the porters there. :rolleyes: They scream and yell too much for me. I'm not too fond of the terminal, but like the Explorer, so put up with it. Our upcoming cruise at the end of this month will be our last cruise from there until the new terminal is finished. Hopefully it will be better than it is now. Especially at debarkation. That is usually a mess. JMO.

They scream and yell at you for what reason?

We give the luggage handlers $5 for our 2 suitcases. I have no idea if they are paid hourly or if they work only for tips. It's really none of my business. The custom here is to tip porters and we do.

As far as restaurant/bar servers.......In the US they are paid below minimum wage. Their main income is from tips. In the NY/NJ area most diners tip between 15% and 20% of the check at restaurants and bars.

^^ This. :)

I do not know the exact salaries of the porters, I do know they get paid very well down at the port, I still tip them anywhere from $5-$10 total. it depends how much luggage we bring on board. On embarkation day, we do tip more as the porter walks us to our car with the luggage.

If I had a porter tell me they work for tips, I would have reported him immediately to his superior. I have never experience or heard a porter say to any passenger they work for tips. And I have seem people not tipping at all.

I tip. But the service ranges from non-existent to just fine. Sort of like anywhere else.

Mmm...ok...sounds like Bucky needs to take his hearing aids out before we

join you in line to see the porters. :eek:

Hi Gwen..."sea" you soon! ;)

Edited by island lady

They scream and yell at you for what reason?

Not yelling at me, just yelling at anyone, like people trying to drop someone off, taxi drivers, shuttle drivers, etc. Just yelling. No need for that. It is a confusing area and not everyone knows what they are doing, but shouldn't be yelled at like that. I said it is just my opinion. Some people might not mind that, I do.

Guest maddycat
Not yelling at me, just yelling at anyone, like people trying to drop someone off, taxi drivers, shuttle drivers, etc. Just yelling. No need for that. It is a confusing area and not everyone knows what they are doing, but shouldn't be yelled at like that. I said it is just my opinion. Some people might not mind that, I do.

Because it's a very busy area and confusing to anyone who has not been to the cruise port before, the workers do shout. It's the only way that they can get your attention. Sorry if it offends you.

Because it's a very busy area and confusing to anyone who has not been to the cruise port before, the workers do shout. It's the only way that they can get your attention. Sorry if it offends you.

I'm not offended. I just don't like it. Did you ever hear the guy inside the terminal that yells about getting on the shuttle bus. I think he will have a heart attack someday. He really gets worked up. It is what it is, just don't like to start my vacation listening to all that. I am used to Baltimore, where none of that goes on.

When we took the Explorer in April, we had a private car and as we approached the terminal, it was backed up so give yourself plenty of time. Terminal was also wall to wall people. Shuttle was not too bad as our bus had three doors to board. I think it took longer coming back, though. At least it seemed like it did.

Get there by 10:30 ish and it won't be so backed up

As far as the yelling - its a NJ attitude thing - Im from jersey - just ignore the the yelling - its normal for them. LOL