First Time Cruiser--- Need Help with Dress code

munchkin66

Hi..

Can anyone help me sort out what smart casual means?

We are sailing in Independence of the Seas this weekend and my husband is not sure what to take for the smart casual dining. on the RCI website it says jackets and ties or open neck shirts….. Does everyone take a jacket and leave tie optional or is it ok to have smart short sleeved shirts without ties.

He would prefer not to take a jacket but does not want to look out of place.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rather than worry about what smart casual means, another way to view it is what it isn't, which would be mostly shorts and t-shirts. Jeans are on the line, depending on condition, torn and raggedy being exclusions. You will see some coat and tie but not the majority. A jacket can do wonders in upgrade if in doubt. For example, nice jeans and a stylish non-gaudy t-shirt can be enhanced and saved by a jacket. You will know smart casual when you see it and you will know those who have no clue, but they will not likely be denied entry.

Edited by jamessemaj

Hi..

Can anyone help me sort out what smart casual means?

We are sailing in Independence of the Seas this weekend and my husband is not sure what to take for the smart casual dining. on the RCI website it says jackets and ties or open neck shirts….. Does everyone take a jacket and leave tie optional or is it ok to have smart short sleeved shirts without ties.

He would prefer not to take a jacket but does not want to look out of place.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Just because it fits the dress code, please don't wear: short sleeve button down shirt, tie and pleated trousers unless you want everyone to think your DH is a used car salesman. I take that back, if your DH is a used car salesman, then he should wear it with pride.

I personally believe that a multitude of sins can be spiffed up with the addition of a sharp jacket. Navy blazer with khaki trousers is an easy and comfortable combo. Most of the executives in my biz casual office all keep a navy blazer on their coat hook and can always throw it over an outfit and almost always look stylish. Sure there is the exception of the guy with the too short or too tight or too buttoned below the beer belly guys, but the majority look stylish.

As a female I keep a cardigan, black jacket and nude 4 inch heels under my desk. If I am called into a meeting with senior leadership I am only a few seconds from slipping on my heels and jacket to complete a "smart casual" look. The same rules apply on a cruise. I can take my casual daytime touring dress (knit, above the knee, sleeveless) and spiff it up for "smart casual" with jackets, heels and usually a great statement necklace.

Despite still being on the web site, I haven't been on a RCI ship in the last few yearsthat even HAD a Smart Casual night..... it was either casual or formal..

Ooops .. I just realized that the Independence is out of Southampton. There will probably be more jackets seen in the dining room than on Caribbean cruises even on casual nights. That being said, you would NOT be turned away from the dining room without a jacket.

Aloha,

John

Most of the above advice is on target. Most regular folks do not wear a jacket on smart casual nights. The best advice that I can give you is to not become obsessed with the dress code. The "clothes police" only exist on these boards. You will be hard pressed to find someone who will pass judgment while you are on your cruise.

Most of the above advice is on target. Most regular folks do not wear a jacket on smart casual nights. The best advice that I can give you is to not become obsessed with the dress code. The "clothes police" only exist on these boards. You will be hard pressed to find someone who will pass judgment while you are on your cruise.

They'll pass judgement, just not out loud. People watching is a brutal sport onboard, when properly played. :D

Edited by SadieN

Trousers and collared shirt for guys basically

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This. For formal night a jacket is not mandatory but in the interest of pumping it up a notch wear a long sleeved shirt. Ties also are not mandatory but I found that on FN most had at least a button down LS shirt and tie. Polo/ golf shirts were the norm all other nights

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They'll pass judgement, just not out loud. People watching is a brutal sport onboard, when properly played. :D

Agreed. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves and/or others.

Edited by ducklite

Thanks everyone for the advice, it has helped a lot with the packing. As we have no flights, therefore no weight restriction on baggage,I have put one jacket in just in case. Though my 8 year old daughter still seems to have the biggest pile of clothes and shoes!!!!

Very much looking forward to our first cruise and already no doubt it won't be our last.

Personal choice. I don't wear a jacket or a tie on any night whether it is formal or causal. I like to enjoy my cruise, and I don't like wearing a jacket or tie, and I have never had problem. Contrary to what another poster on this forum said, I also wear a short sleeve shirt.:)