Gravol Ginger

oma&opa

Has anyone used these for mal-de-mere? I am going on an Alaskan 7-day, and concerned about being outside the Inside Passage. I don't want the drowsy-producing stuff! A friend recommended Gravol -- but I think it's a popular Canadian product, not available in USA ??

Not sure what Gravol Ginger is but I just was on an Alaskan cruise last week and took Bonine (2 a day) and Ginger Root (2 in am and 2 in pm) and was still sick until I put on the patch. If you are prone to seasickness, just jump in and wear the patch.

Regular Gravol contains Dimenhydrinate, which is contraindicated for those with high blood pressure, glaucoma and a number of other conditions that HAL passengers may suffer from.

Gravol Ginger does not contain Dimenhydrinate and appears to be quite safe, but speak to your doctor or pharmacist.

Edited by Fouremco

I have used both Gravol and Gravol Ginger. Both worked for me to eliminate queasiness. I only take one because two makes me too sleepy. Try one initially. I would check with the pharmacist and let him know what other meds you are using (if any) just to make sure there are no issues for you before taking it.

Both are readily available in Canada. I don't think Bonine is available here although it may be sold under another brand name.

My mom in law uses the sea bands wristbands and they work great for her. That's another option.

Have a great cruise!

I have used both Gravol and Gravol Ginger. Both worked for me to eliminate queasiness. I only take one because two makes me too sleepy. Try one initially. I would check with the pharmacist and let him know what other meds you are using (if any) just to make sure there are no issues for you before taking it.

Both are readily available in Canada. I don't think Bonine is available here although it may be sold under another brand name.

My mom in law uses the sea bands wristbands and they work great for her. That's another option.

Have a great cruise!

Meclizine is no longer being manufactured for sale in Canada and is no longer available under any brand names, including Bonine.

I have heard ginger ale is also good for settling the stomach; anything with ginger I guess. Also, one cruise I was on, I remember them recommending raw apple slices. Don't know if it works though.

I take Bonine every night before I go to bed unless the sea is like glass. I get a good nights sleep and not queasy or drowsy during the day. Hope it isn't outlawed in the USA.

There is preserved ginger available outside the main dining room after dinner. Or there was on the Eurodam in June!

I have heard ginger ale is also good for settling the stomach; anything with ginger I guess. Also, one cruise I was on, I remember them recommending raw apple slices. Don't know if it works though.

Green apples and crackers. Yes it does work!

I found Gravol ginger tablets helpful but I have to take along some Tums as the ginger gives me heartburn. You can have wine with the ginger pills, which you can't with the regular Gravol as it will put you into the next world.

On our last two cruises I found that the Sea Bands worked wonders. I always thought it was a lot of hocus pokus but they did the job. I'm a convert.

Have seen/heard the Seabands work well for many people. Had to laugh when a wine steward in the Ocean Bar put hers on as she came in to work one day just as we were pulling out of port.

Personally have found good old Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) works well for me and does not make me too drowsy, and it is cheap! Do not drink very often so that is not an issue. Will have to try to find the ginger gravol - thanks for the info!

Edited by take us away

DH can be prone to mal de mer. He really likes ginger and ginger gravol.

Combined with the green apples and candied ginger when he leaves the dining room, it normally helps a lot.

I find the sea bands work very well for me... just pay close attention to the directions of where they are placed on the wrist so they hit the acupressure point, otherwise they are useless.

I was queasy on our first cruise out of Vancouver to Alaska when we hit open water and had a broadside wave front for about 5 hours. Lots of white bags placed around the ship! I saw crew wearing the sea bands and asked about them. I've become a big fan of them over our many cruises. Plus no need to worry about medication interactions, nor wine issues if those are of concern. Look for them next to the Dramamine and Bonine at your local drug store or order them from Amazon. m--

I too am a big fan of Sea Bands. Used to get sea sick even on ferries and boats cruising around bays. I wore my Sea Bands on my first cruise last year around Nova Scotia etc and had absolutely no queasiness or feelings of being "off."

All best.... Suzanne :)