Leaving tonight and I feel so unprepared...

We leave tonight for Miami for our 3-night Majesty cruise and I feel SOOOOO unprepared.

We moved into a new house the end of May, we are in the middle of a kitchen reno (our upper cabinets are being installed as we speak) and work is insane.

DH asked me last night if we had our tickets booked and I had to laugh and say "I think so".

This is so unlike me, I don't have a firm budget, I have no spreadsheet, no excursions booked (although that is intentional to save money on a quick trip) and I just now printed off all of our documents and checked in for our flight here at work.

We are both excited to get away for a few days, but I'm so tired I'm afraid I'm going to sleep through the whole vacation.

Question:

We are flying with carry-on bags only. I am debating whether or not to hand them over to the porters when we get to the pier. It would be nice to not drag them around, but I can't justify tipping a porter for a carry on bag. Don't worry, we will tip if we hand them off, I just can't figure out if the convenience is "worth" it on a trip we are doing as cheaply as possible.

I was thinking of getting to the pier around 10:30. Is that too early?

Think of it this way: Would I pay $2 to not have to drag this bag around for 2 hours? If it's not worth the $2 to you, don't check it. I would pay $2 to not have to drag my bag around to lunch and while touring the ship.

However, if you plan to find a chair by the pool and sit there it might be just fine to keep your bag.

Edited by MOSusan

...We are flying with carry-on bags only. I am debating whether or not to hand them over to the porters when we get to the pier. It would be nice to not drag them around, but I can't justify tipping a porter for a carry on bag. Don't worry, we will tip if we hand them off, I just can't figure out if the convenience is "worth" it on a trip we are doing as cheaply as possible...

Seems like a few dollars for the porter is very small compared to the total cost of the trip.

We always bring our carry-ons aboard ourselves, because these contain items we really can't afford to lose, our travel document, medicine, electronics, etc. Also, these get unpacked in our stateroom before the others arrive.

That being said, we never travel with special items such as handknit sweaters, wedding suit, expensive jewelry, etc. On our first Alaska cruise, Royal misplaced our luggage between the pier and the airport, and we had about a week where we wondered if we'd see them again. Fortunately, they found the suitcase and shipped it to our home.

If you must check some, be sure to keep all the items you can't afford to lose with you. I read a while back that someone checked all her luggage and the piece with her medicine got dropped in the ocean and she couldn't get her exact medicine replaced in the ship's pharmacy.

The way I'm reading what you wrote, your lack of "preparation" is EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED!! LOL :D

You SO need a weekend where you have nothing that you need to do. And doing nothing is SO relaxing sometimes. Nothing on Coco Cay rocks.

Revel in nothing. Enjoy nothing. It really looks like you need a weekend full of nothing.

Enjoy the rest.

As for your carry on- we do exactly the same thing as you do- pack light, carry on for the flight. IF we get to the port early, and have to carry the luggage around, I prefer to let it be delivered to our room. On the other hand, getting on the ship at 1pm is fine for us, so we shoot to be at the port at about 12:30. That way we head to our rooms, unpack, and are done.

We always bring our carry-ons aboard ourselves, because these contain items we really can't afford to lose, our travel document, medicine, electronics, etc. Also, these get unpacked in our stateroom before the others arrive.

That being said, we never travel with special items such as handknit sweaters, wedding suit, expensive jewelry, etc. On our first Alaska cruise, Royal misplaced our luggage between the pier and the airport, and we had about a week where we wondered if we'd see them again. Fortunately, they found the suitcase and shipped it to our home.

If you must check some, be sure to keep all the items you can't afford to lose with you. I read a while back that someone checked all her luggage and the piece with her medicine got dropped in the ocean and she couldn't get her exact medicine replaced in the ship's pharmacy.

I don't think 10:30 is too early, but I don't think I've ever been on the ship that early. At least you'll be closer to the front of the line, and sometimes these lines get really long. You should be able to check in, and find a seat to wait before they fill up.

I am on this same cruise (the 22Aug Majesty trip).

I am doing carry-on also not only on the airline, but when boarding the ship.

We are flying into FLL tomorrow morning, and arrive at 10am. The flight has been on-time every day for the past month (I have checked every day).

I am using the RCCL shuttle ($60 is not too expensive), to get to the port, and I figure with the waiting for the shuttle to fill up, travel time, etc., we should board around 12:30-1PM. That means we can either go directly to the cabin, or wait a few minutes. Either way we will have our luggage immediately available. It rolls, so it is not difficult to have it with us.

After the cruise, I am renting a car since our flight does not leave FLL until 7:45 PM. So we will sightsee for the day.

...And of course, no upgrade from RCCL. Now I am 0 for 8!

But even on longer cruises where my luggage is too big to carry on, I always bring a smaller carry-on bag (either a old briefcase or small carry-on bag) with my electronics, medicine, documents, etc. This never leaves my sight until it is safely in the cabin.

We always bring our carry-ons aboard ourselves, because these contain items we really can't afford to lose, our travel document, medicine, electronics.

Same here. Some items and documents need to stay with you. To the OP, maybe a small, light bag or tote can hold these necessities and the actual carry-on can be checked.

Either way, have some fun!

The way I'm reading what you wrote, your lack of "preparation" is EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED!! LOL :D

You SO need a weekend where you have nothing that you need to do. And doing nothing is SO relaxing sometimes. Nothing on Coco Cay rocks.

Revel in nothing. Enjoy nothing. It really looks like you need a weekend full of nothing.

Enjoy the rest.

As for your carry on- we do exactly the same thing as you do- pack light, carry on for the flight. IF we get to the port early, and have to carry the luggage around, I prefer to let it be delivered to our room. On the other hand, getting on the ship at 1pm is fine for us, so we shoot to be at the port at about 12:30. That way we head to our rooms, unpack, and are done.

Yes, DH is excited to eat meals that weren't prepared in a microwave and I'm excited to get out of the mess.

We did the demo of the kitchen ourselves to save several thousand dollars in labor, we started on August 9th, so Saturday marks two weeks without a functioning kitchen.

When we get home our cabinets should be installed and most (if not all) of the tile down and safe to walk on. I'm not sure what I am more excited about, the vacation or coming home to an almost finished kitchen!!!!

A weekend doing nothing but being lazy by the pool or beach sounds heavenly right now...

Same here. Some items and documents need to stay with you. To the OP, maybe a small, light bag or tote can hold these necessities and the actual carry-on can be checked.

Either way, have some fun!

Yes, we will each have a shoulder bag/backpack with the valuables and paperwork. We will probably go ahead and check the rolling carry on bags just so it is easier to explore but I'm not sure we will explore more than the Windjammer and the pool deck. :)

It is a sure sign of stress that I am "worried" about a $4 tip to the porters on a $2,000 vacation.:cool:

Have a great trip!!

I did the weekend cruise recently - I personally kept my bag with me, as did many others. Many other people checked them - whatever will cause you less stress, do.

I know you know this, but as I had a moment of worry at the airport, just commenting as you say things are a mess. Don't forget your passports!! I put in a different purse pocket and almost freaked that I left it at home! Was so relieved when I found it!

Consider this, for all that the cruise is costing, is a few bucks really worth worrying about? And I'd tip more than $2, or your bags may end up floating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd bet there are hundreds of passengers who don't tip every time a ship boards (we do tip). I don't see the harbor full of floating luggage....:rolleyes: