Who can cancel cruise

CptJackSparrow

I'm glad this worked out for you, but am sorry she put you through this at an already tough time. Sending good wishes for your MIL's health.

When you're ready to start thinking about a family cruise again, I bet there are several members here with documented experience in working with kids who would love to nanny in return for a cruise for themselves and a roomie. The line starts behind me. :D

Thank you toALL of you for the great advice and insight. I am happy to say she saw the errors of her ways!!! With the help of my agent we compiled a list from this thread of spectacular ideas, including the income tax one which I think is what pushed the right button, we sent a joint letter by email to her telling her to expect a subpoena at the end of her cruise and that the agent would be speaking to the judge on my behalf. I included that I would be declaring her income as the cruise cost. She sent in that cancelation letter quicker than I could say You're Fired!!!

I found this woman through my coworker. She worked for him and his family in the past and he was surprised by her attitude also. Won't be recommending her services anymore.

Thanks for the well wishes for my mother in law. Its good to be able to concentrate on family again.

It's always nice to see the good guys prevail!

I agree with the others: next time, draw up a contract that includes a clear cancellation clause. But also, for next time, I would rethink the offer of letting the nanny bring along a guest. I guess the reasoning was, it costs about the same, so why not, but I think your employee would have been constantly distracted by the presence of her sister and tempted to be in vacation mode as much as possible and not nanny mode. Either that, or maybe the sister would have felt she was getting roped into child care duties and complained about that. An unnecessary source of conflict.

Anyway, you are well rid of these two opportunists, phew!

Glad to hear it worked out. :)

There appears to be three "take a-ways" from this thread.

1. If you have elderly or sick relatives, you need to buy travel insurance that would allow you to cancel a cruise and get your money back due to the illness.

Insurance is ALWAYS a good idea whether you're young, old, have elderly relatives, sick relatives, etc. Even the young and healthy get sick, break a leg, bosses can get demanding, jobs get busy or lost, snowstorms, windstorms, plane mechanical issues, etc. Life happens. Edited by Pam in CA

Glad to hear it worked out. :)

Insurance is ALWAYS a good idea whether you're young, old, have elderly relatives, sick relatives, etc. Even the young and healthy get sick, break a leg, bosses can get demanding, jobs get busy or lost, snowstorms, windstorms, plane mechanical issues, etc. Life happens.

I knew a man who fell ill one week before his cruise. A week later he was dead. This guy wasn't old and had enjoyed good health up until this point. Insurance is a good idea. You just never know...

About 2 weeks after the cruise my husband checked his credit card statement online and there it is, Princess has charged him around $300 for his onboard expenses. I check my card and it appears that only my onboard charges are on there so we weren't double charged for him.

Eventually Princess got around to asking me if they could put my husband's charges on my credit card. You mean like I'd authorized those 3 previous times? Well I had to authorize that one more time.

I understand your point but wouldn't it have been easier to just pay the $300 on your husband's credit card. It seems like a whole lot of aggravation to go through for such a simple solution. Either way you were writing a check, why not just write the check to your husband's credit card company?

I knew a man who fell ill one week before his cruise. A week later he was dead. This guy wasn't old and had enjoyed good health up until this point. Insurance is a good idea. You just never know...
You mean like my brother-in-law who got sick the last sea day before arriving in FLL ($8,000 onboard medical bill), spent a month in the ICU at Dade County, we flew him back to CA while still critical on a private medical jet (thank you, MedJet Assist) and he died three days later? He was perfectly healthy during the cruise until that last day. On the same cruise, the woman (very fit and active) who tripped on the sidewalk in Acapulco and broke her arm in four places. Same cruise, the guy who was playing basketball, rolled his ankle and broke it. On the cruise before ours, the woman who was bitten by a poisonous snake in Puntarenas.

Want me to go on?

Not sure insurance is relevant here, at least in the case of the Nanny's cabin, unless it was cancel for any reason. And even then, the Nanny would still have to cancel it.

Wouldn't the future cruise credit from the insurance claim be in the Nanny's name? Or any check if it was a covered reason sent to the Nanny?

Not sure insurance is relevant here, at least in the case of the Nanny's cabin, unless it was cancel for any reason. And even then, the Nanny would still have to cancel it.
Good point, and wouldn't the insurance have had to be in her name, too? [EDIT: kind of the same point as caribill just made]

I don't know if there was airfare involved, but if the OP only lost their 20% deposits, they didn't do too much worse than if they'd bought any-reason insurance.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I think a lawyer who knows the laws is a better option. If you had a contract with her to work and she isn't then it sounds like you can make her pay for your lost cost, but it depends on where you live what the laws are... I would try a free consultation and a stern talk with the nanny that she will be fired etc...

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I booked two staterooms aboard the Regal thru a travel agent. One for my family and the other for a nanny we hired to take care of the kids. She was allowed to bring a guest - she chose her sister. It turns out my wife's mother is dealing with late stage cancer so we want to be near her and cancel the cruise. We are currently in the 20% penalty phase. When trying to cancel both rooms, I'm informed by my travel agent that I can only cancel one room. She said the nanny needs to cancel the cruise in writing. I paid for the room!!! The nanny is being a $&) (@$& and stated her and her sister would still like to go!!! I'm beyond livid. I feel I have the right to cancel what I paid for. Do I have recourse? Cruise line won't listen since I booked thru a travel agent. I may just call my credit card company next. Any ideas?

This is a little like what happen with us, except my Mother who was joining us in her own room had to cancel. My insurance paid me back.

You mean like my brother-in-law who got sick the last sea day before arriving in FLL ($8,000 onboard medical bill), spent a month in the ICU at Dade County, we flew him back to CA while still critical on a private medical jet (thank you, MedJet Assist) and he died three days later? He was perfectly healthy during the cruise until that last day. On the same cruise, the woman (very fit and active) who tripped on the sidewalk in Acapulco and broke her arm in four places. Same cruise, the guy who was playing basketball, rolled his ankle and broke it. On the cruise before ours, the woman who was bitten by a poisonous snake in Puntarenas.

Want me to go on?

Or my 40 year old friend who suffered a sudden cardiac arrest on his Panama Canal cruise while eating dinner! Coast guard took him off and took him to Key West, where he was airlifted to a Miami Hospital!

Someone was watching out for him, because he and his partner had just switched tables in the dining room because they had a new friend joining them. At the new table there happened to be an RN and an EMT, who saved my friend!!!

hey, I am NOT a nice person. Since it appears you have only paid the deposit i wouod leave it at that and inform her SHE is responsible for the remaining payment due on x/yy date.

You might even want to end the conversation saying "Merry Christmas" and NOT give her any other gift/payment over the holidays.

Thank you toALL of you for the great advice and insight. I am happy to say she saw the errors of her ways!!! With the help of my agent we compiled a list from this thread of spectacular ideas, including the income tax one which I think is what pushed the right button, we sent a joint letter by email to her telling her to expect a subpoena at the end of her cruise and that the agent would be speaking to the judge on my behalf. I included that I would be declaring her income as the cruise cost. She sent in that cancelation letter quicker than I could say You're Fired!!!

I found this woman through my coworker. She worked for him and his family in the past and he was surprised by her attitude also. Won't be recommending her services anymore.

Thanks for the well wishes for my mother in law. Its good to be able to concentrate on family again.

I'm glad everything is working out with the nanny situation. I hope your family member gets well soon.

Assuming this is an average length cruse, and your mother in law isn't immediately terminal... I say go on the cruise anyway, don't cancel it. Make it miserable for the nanny, then find a reason to fire her when you get back. What a selfish, self entitled brat to try to take advantage of such a grim situation.

Well, after this situation, I would first explain to her that she is responsible for the full amount of her cabin should she and her sister go on this cruise and not cancel. If she does not reimburse you immediately for what you have paid on the cabin thus far, I would tell her that you will take her to Small Claims Court. Then, I'd definitely fire her and contact the agency she works under (if she does). There is no way I'd let her anywhere near my kids ever again. She showed total lack of integrity.

This is not a Princess or credit card issue in my opinion.

Edited by Donder1

I must be the only person on team nanny here, you offer someone an excellent vacation then want to take it away? Totally rude. How would you feel if someone did that to you?!

Life has it's ups and down. When your employer had to make a change then you either live with it or find a different employer. They are paying not giving anything away.