Best Liquor Prices - Grand Turk, San Juan, St Martin or onboard?

michmike2

Now that we have a winter home in Florida, we don't have the hassle of trying to fly home w/ island liquor purchases, so time to restock. Anyone have insight as to which of these options would provide the best pricing? Any recommendations on specific shops?

I'm assuming that HAL simply confiscates it when you return to the ship and then returns it to you the last nite? Last experience w/ this was prior to the airline restrictions and based on the process at AH Riis in St Thomas. Have always wondered how substantial a hit their bottom line took when the restrictions went in place. Had to be massive when I think about all the guys lugging cardboard cases thru the airport back then.

Thanks in advance for any help w/ this.

From my observations, St. Maarten is a close second to St. Thomas.

Any Bacardi products are dirt cheap in San Juan right in the terminal.

There is an excellent liquor selection in the port shopping area in Grand Turk but the prices looked a bit higher.

IMO, the best liquor store in the Caribbean is on the pier at San Juan. Upstairs at the top of the escelator.

Others may know know more than I do about this, but we've always found good prices there.

IMO, the best liquor store in the Caribbean is on the pier at San Juan. Upstairs at the top of the escelator.

Others may know know more than I do about this, but we've always found good prices there.

That's absolutely correct. We were surprised at how well stocked and well priced the San Juan terminal was. I'd rank St. Thomas second, above Grand Turk.

Have the liquor store box your purchases and mark them with your name and stateroom number. Turn the box in when you return to the ship, and they'll deliver your box to you on the last night.

Just remember that you have to carry the box off with you. Factor that into your plans so you have enough hands for your purchase and your carry on bags. (Which will now be carry off bags. ;) )

Our favorite place for buying the more exotic (expensive) booze is on St Maarten. I enjoy good single malt scotch and cognacs, and there is a place I like in Phillispburg that specializes in Scotches and has an amazing variety (with some items we cannot even find in the USA). St Maarten is truly a tax-free haven for booze (St Thomas and PR have import taxes) so the prices can often be more favorable.

I should mention that we will sometimes bring back much more booze then is allowed under our duty-free allowance. We always itemize every bottle on our Declaration and have all the receipts in our pocket. Most of the time the US Customs folks will simply wave us through without assessing the appropriate Duty (which would only be a few dollars). The problem for Customs is that they have to fill out a form for every bottle they assess, and its often not worth their time if the Duty is only going to be a few dollars. But we would have no problem paying the Duty. When I can get a liter of Cognac for $80 on St Maarten that would cost me over $150 at home...it is hard to get upset about paying another $8 duty tax.

Hank

Our favorite place for buying the more exotic (expensive) booze is on St Maarten. I enjoy good single malt scotch and cognacs, and there is a place I like in Phillispburg that specializes in Scotches and has an amazing variety (with some items we cannot even find in the USA). St Maarten is truly a tax-free haven for booze (St Thomas and PR have import taxes) so the prices can often be more favorable.

I should mention that we will sometimes bring back much more booze then is allowed under our duty-free allowance. We always itemize every bottle on our Declaration and have all the receipts in our pocket. Most of the time the US Customs folks will simply wave us through without assessing the appropriate Duty (which would only be a few dollars). The problem for Customs is that they have to fill out a form for every bottle they assess, and its often not worth their time if the Duty is only going to be a few dollars. But we would have no problem paying the Duty. When I can get a liter of Cognac for $80 on St Maarten that would cost me over $150 at home...it is hard to get upset about paying another $8 duty tax.

Hank

We've also found that St. Maarten has the best prices on higher end liquors, many by a substantial amount. Wine can also be a very good buy, although the selection is limited.

However our best score on moderately priced liquor was from the on-board shop last year when we sailed the Summit to Bermuda. The Goslings Black Rum sold for 2 liters for $20 - $10 a bottle. When we returned home and visited our local mega wine and liquor store, the price for the same stuff was $26 per liter.

on level 1 has the best prices but a limited selection, upstairs is quite good. No limit as it's not a df port but if you are flying home the weight charge will eat up any savings as they can't be carried onto the plane. No problem if driving home. STM is a little cheaper than STT and the store on the boardwalk is very good as is #2 lucky just up the hill from center of town.Grand Turk is the highest.

Edited by SeaBands

I'd suggest going to your local discount liquor store and writing down the prices on at least some of the items your thinking about buying in the Caribbean. We live in florida and drive to Miami/Fort Lauderdale and we have never found that we saved enough to bother to bring something back from the Caribbean.

I can see the value of buying liquor at these ports if you are driving home, but I question the value if you have to fly.

We did this once and packed our purchases very carefully (we thought anyway). One bottle broke and made quite a mess! Not worth the savings in the end.

Another time - a couple of years ago in Fort Lauderdale - we were in the hotel lobby and watching people checking in after their cruises. One person had a case of liquor with him while in line (that he was obviously bring back from his cruise) and someone tripped over it, knocking the case over and breaking several bottles. Quite a mess to be sure!

DaveOKC

I'd suggest going to your local discount liquor store and writing down the prices on at least some of the items your thinking about buying in the Caribbean. We live in florida and drive to Miami/Fort Lauderdale and we have never found that we saved enough to bother to bring something back from the Caribbean.

We have come to this conclusion, too, especially since custom laws limit you to a small duty free amount. We bring our Costco and BJs cards with us and make a warehouse club stop while heading up I-95 toward home. FL is a much better buy than VA.

Agree that upstairs in the San Juan terminal, was less than in St. Martin, but we always check our local liquor prices in FL... If it's only a few dollars difference, we'll forgo buying liquor, except when they have Bailey's on sale.. Florida prices seems to be much less than in many other states..I take the liquor sale ads with me & compare..

We've found St Maarten to have great deals on booze. Recently, I saw the lady ahead of me ask for and get a little bit extra off the price. I did the same thing and got an extra $5 off my bottle of scotch that would have cost me over $100 at home (paid $40). Alcohol is very expensive where I live and pretty much any of the options listed has less expensive prices than here.

If you like rum get some Ron Barilito (sp?) while in San Juan, haven't ever found that locally and it's quite yummy.

I should mention that we will sometimes bring back much more booze then is allowed under our duty-free allowance. We always itemize every bottle on our Declaration and have all the receipts in our pocket. Most of the time the US Customs folks will simply wave us through without assessing the appropriate Duty (which would only be a few dollars). The problem for Customs is that they have to fill out a form for every bottle they assess, and its often not worth their time if the Duty is only going to be a few dollars.

Hank

We've had the same experience. My DW and I usually buy four bottles of rum when we visit Martinique, Grand Cayman, Barbados or San Juan, gifts for our friends. Each time we declare that we have four bottles, and they always tell us to go ahead and go through. Most of the time they thank us for being honest.

Agree....We don't buy liquor if we're flying. Too much downside risk and too expensive to manage with the airlines. We often drive down to the port, either from TN or the house in FL.

It's fun to browse (sp) the liquor stores in the Caribbean. Always learn somethng.

• 4 months later...

Hank

Hank;

Making first trip to St. Maarten in 12 years. On the hunt for Macallan 18 or 25 YO. What is the name of the shop you reference?? Thanks in advance.

Just returned Saturday from port visits to the 3 ports mentioned. I found little difference in prices among them and the ship's store. In fact, I believe the prices for my favorite liquors are the same or cheaper in Florida.