Grand Voyage Commemorative Plates

DebbieJ

What does everyone do with the commemorative plates that HAL gives to you during a grand voyage? After you get it home, do you hang it up, eat off of it or what? Are they safe to eat off of (paint-wise.) Any and all suggestions welcome!

Debbie - We've enjoyed several of the Grand cruises -so have several plates of various sizes. I believe it was our first and I put it on the wall in the diningroom as a decoration just above the light-switch - I enjoy looking at that IF/when we use the formal dining area. Another is laying on a dining "trolley" [ use the under for a bit of storage]

The most interesting use is the the many tiles we have from HAL over the years. Our kitchen widow is small/above the sink/work area -PLUS it faces North; the LAST thing I needed was a curtain there -so I used the different tiles as "decoration" ; there are 8 tiles in a row plus another 8 on top of those -PLUS the END tiles are two slightly larger tiles from Grand cruises -all different- ALLthe Blue/White. Practically every person who visits our kitchen remarks on the USE of the tiles! This won't "work" for everybody but I thought it was a nice idea -suggested by a friend who was an interior decorator; Added color and interest to a rather shady/dark/NORTH wall/window.

Anne

This is a GREAT question!

The Delft items that I have received are treasures. Lovely, just simply lovely! But.....

I own a 2 bedroom condo that is "stuffed" with travel memorabilia. All of the very nice items that I received from my Grand World Voyage are safely secured in one of two large storage boxes sitting in my living room. I simply have no room to put them anywhere else. I regularly, usually on an anniversary of my voyage, I take the lid off the boxes and re-enjoy my treasures. And, I have left specific instructions in my will to my heirs as to what I want done with this memorabilia.

But, this is one of the reasons that I really wish HAL STOP giving Grand Voyage guests "STUFF". Most of us are in the era of our life where we are trying to get rid of stuff. Accumulating more, while lovely, is not helpful. Reduce the onboard gifts and lower the fares! That would entice me to maybe book another Grand Voyage.

And, if a HAL employee is reading this: knowing that I will be getting such "stuff" that I then have to get home and find a place for is one reason which discourages me from booking another Grand Voyage. Maybe that could be communicated to marketing?

hmm - not sure if you can eat off of these but if anyone knows - let us know . We would love to have a dinner party with the plates and using the oval tile as the coaster. Figured it would be a great 'conversation' piece as our friends are also cruisers.

The person who likely would know is Stephen Card.

I'll write and ask him. :)

Two of our Grand Voyage plates were on a wall and looked very nice. Then we painted and never got around to putting them back up.

Haven't considered eating off them, but we have used the large tray-like handled ones for fruit and have made hot chocolate in the mugs, trying hard to pretend we were back on a HAL ship.

Edited by SilvertoGold

What does everyone do with the commemorative plates that HAL gives to you during a grand voyage? After you get it home, do you hang it up, eat off of it or what? Are they safe to eat off of (paint-wise.) Any and all suggestions welcome!

We have one plate which has a map of S.A & Antarctica with our cruise ports, on our Breakfast room wall & the other one exactly the same on the Kitchen wall..

The oval tile was a refrig. magnet...When I put it on the frig, it fell off & broke..

Also have many of the blue delft tiles around our Condo & in drawers...Use them as coasters.. Several years ago a CC poster mentioned she made a table out of her tiles.. I keep saying this is a good idea, but I've never gotten round to doing it..

Edited by serendipity1499

This is a GREAT question!

The Delft items that I have received are treasures. Lovely, just simply lovely! But.....

I own a 2 bedroom condo that is "stuffed" with travel memorabilia. All of the very nice items that I received from my Grand World Voyage are safely secured in one of two large storage boxes sitting in my living room. I simply have no room to put them anywhere else. I regularly, usually on an anniversary of my voyage, I take the lid off the boxes and re-enjoy my treasures. And, I have left specific instructions in my will to my heirs as to what I want done with this memorabilia.

But, this is one of the reasons that I really wish HAL STOP giving Grand Voyage guests "STUFF". Most of us are in the era of our life where we are trying to get rid of stuff. Accumulating more, while lovely, is not helpful. Reduce the onboard gifts and lower the fares! That would entice me to maybe book another Grand Voyage.

And, if a HAL employee is reading this: knowing that I will be getting such "stuff" that I then have to get home and find a place for is one reason which discourages me from booking another Grand Voyage. Maybe that could be communicated to marketing?

We have very much enjoyed the "stuff" we have received on our voyages, and even though we are trying to get rid of some things, we like getting others!! Particularly travel "stuff"!! I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for anyone who doesn't want the "stuff" to let their room steward know not to deliver any of it.

We have very much enjoyed the "stuff" we have received on our voyages, and even though we are trying to get rid of some things, we like getting others!! Particularly travel "stuff"!! I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for anyone who doesn't want the "stuff" to let their room steward know not to deliver any of it.

Or offer what you don't want to your fellow passengers. Some pax want certain items, not others. It can work out well!

Otherwise, upon disembarkation from a Grand we have seen the "stuff" piled up on the bed, the cabins otherwise empty. Just leave it and the crew will know what to do with it.

Edited by SilvertoGold

hi

I love the tiles. I needtwo tables table in my bathrooms. Its on the list to do, I will have two tables. I plan to make or put the tiles on the table. So if I ever move to a smaller place they will cime with me. Why not ask fellow passenger if they want the stuff you don't want you can make a trade for what you don't want, or sell the items on ebay.

what kind of stuff besides tiles do you get

mary

Hi Guys!

Just found the post. Have missed a lot of posting lately... trying to be 'productive'... one man show coming up in October.

A few answers....

1. If you don't want your 'stuff'... just give away to some staff or crew... most of the guys would like something to home. Or... Ebay. Always a good market or memorabilia... especially the plate. For sure... don't throw out... there is some value. Like a little maiden voyage plate... 6 inch... s.s. Rotterdam 1958.... $500.

2. No reason why you can't use the plates for food. Delftware has been used for tea pots, cups etc. The earthernware are used with tin glaze and cobalt oxide to make the 'blue & white'. Some pieces are underglaze... but I dont know which! It is not just plain paint on the plates... cannot be washed off.

3. Not all is 'blauw' in Delftware. Some pieces are used in Delft 'polychrome'... usually with blue, yellow, green and red..... reds looking bright or even as in sepia. There are even in black. Stylish and modern... beautiful stuff! Some pieces by Holland America have been in 'polychrome'... small dishes... pin dishes and a some of the World Cruise like the 1987 Silver Cruise plate. Also a few 'menu plates' in polychrome... and recently one Captain's plate in black on white... used some of mine images.

4. Here is a new tile I have done. A hand made tile... 6 x 6 inch depicting the Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938. Just four pieces in production. Enough to break the bank! Not made in Holland.... this is from factory in London... known as 'English Delft'. Identical method. This is the drawing for the piece... a few weeks before how the final production. Keep fingers crossed!

Stephen

505259799_NWAMSTERDAMTILE1_5mbs.card2014.jpg.ca08ace948845c0e3096c98956a34ee3.jpg

I know there is a white elephant sale towards the end of these cruises. That is a tempting way to divest oneself of "stuff".

But, I have paid good money for this "stuff". For ocean liner memorabilia collectors in the future, this material will have value for my estate/heirs. To leave it behind seems to me to be irresponsible from a financial standpoint.

As I have stated: lower the fares, reduce the "stuff", and provide only truly valuable, memorable collectable items such as a plate showing the cruise's voyage.

We of 'that age'.

When we travel we try as hard as possible not to buy or collect any inventory for our three years from now garage sale.

Sometimes causes an issue when we return home after an extended vacation and tell immigration/customs that we did not bring back a thing other than dirty laundry.

Edited by iancal

Maybe I ought to provide some historical perspective to my views.

The 2008 Grand World Cruise had a unique and wonderful itinerary. The Istanbul Cistern Party during our overnight there was incomparable. The crew, from Captain van Zaane on down, could not have been more gracious or helpful. It simply was a great cruise. There were, certainly some negatives, but they were personal from my perspective and I care not to share those.

A Cruise Journal for the cruise was received by us shortly before our arrival back in Fort Lauderdale. WHAT? That should have appeared on Day 1 or 2.

A piece of, I guess driftwood, was received with a plaque commerating the dates of the cruise. I am not alone in judging this item as a piece of JUNK! I know many of those never left the Amsterdam.

Other items received varied from great quality to OK. But, why do I need a stuffed pet dog to accompany me on my cruise? (Yes, that was an item I received that I will be soon giving to a new relative in my family.) This kind of "stuff" adds nothing but expense to an already expensive trip.

Hi Guys!

Just found the post. Have missed a lot of posting lately... trying to be 'productive'... one man show coming up in October.

A few answers....

1. If you don't want your 'stuff'... just give away to some staff or crew... most of the guys would like something to home. Or... Ebay. Always a good market or memorabilia... especially the plate. For sure... don't throw out... there is some value. Like a little maiden voyage plate... 6 inch... s.s. Rotterdam 1958.... $500.

2. No reason why you can't use the plates for food. Delftware has been used for tea pots, cups etc. The earthernware are used with tin glaze and cobalt oxide to make the 'blue & white'. Some pieces are underglaze... but I dont know which! It is not just plain paint on the plates... cannot be washed off.

3. Not all is 'blauw' in Delftware. Some pieces are used in Delft 'polychrome'... usually with blue, yellow, green and red..... reds looking bright or even as in sepia. There are even in black. Stylish and modern... beautiful stuff! Some pieces by Holland America have been in 'polychrome'... small dishes... pin dishes and a some of the World Cruise like the 1987 Silver Cruise plate. Also a few 'menu plates' in polychrome... and recently one Captain's plate in black on white... used some of mine images.

4. Here is a new tile I have done. A hand made tile... 6 x 6 inch depicting the Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938. Just four pieces in production. Enough to break the bank! Not made in Holland.... this is from factory in London... known as 'English Delft'. Identical method. This is the drawing for the piece... a few weeks before how the final production. Keep fingers crossed!

Stephen

Love the design of your new tile, especially the different corner details. Very nice.

OK... here it is.

Working on a project...

My drawing.... in pen and ink and washes, is about 10 x 10 inches. Could simply make the drawing as a scan and make it on the book, but thought it would be a 'real' tile. To make a 'one off' piece I have to do tin glaze on earthernware tile and then used cobalt oxide. Have done before but I don't have the glazes and a kiln. So... instead do use a transfer method. This way I can make extras.

The small studio in London now takes my artwork and makes it into a tile... using tin glaze and a transfer and then fires the piece. The tile will be 6 x 6 inches. Not just like a machine cutting and shaping the tiles... as in mass produced, this tile is a 'hand made' tile.... they hand make the clay and shaping the tile. The white tin glaze is hand painted on.... and then a transfer is laid down and then fired.

So... instead of just one piece I can make a total of four hand made pieces. Make a thousand tiles... good price. Make for just four.... enough to break the bank!

Have a look at the factory.... www.douglaswatsonstudio.co.uk

Here is a sample of the rustic tiles made... in here just plain white. The other view shows a 'painting' on a set of tiles. This piece would be hand made and hand painted tiles.... in blue or colours.

For the future.... I would like to make a series of HAL ships... as in the ships back from the 1950s... Rotterdam, Nw Amsterdam, Statendam, Maasdam and Ryndam.

Stephen

1698690712_watsonstd01-02_rustic-tile.jpg.bc744fa25075764683c0492c1df146ee.jpg

1593468076_watsonslide5.jpg.baafe705b64b2228b10536d0d5fab2d7.jpg

Stephen,

Thanks so much for sharing all that wonderful information with us. What a process it takes for your beautiful artwork to be accomplished for us to hold a tile in our hands.

Your new tile is fabulous. Love it. :)

Thanks for all of the responses. Stephen, nice work on the tiles. Plenty of talent there! I think I'll try HAL after the weekend and see if they can tell me if these plates can be safely eaten off of if food is unwrapped. It would make a great conversation at a dinner party as more and more of the plate is revealed. Making tables from the tile sounds like a great idea.

We have quite a few plates from world cruises and other grand voyages. I use them every day as part of our regular dinnerware. They go into the dishwasher after every meal and still look great. Guests and grandchildren seem to like dining on them. I hope our experience answers your question about the usefulness of the plates.

Margaret & Keith

Thanks for all of the responses. Stephen, nice work on the tiles. Plenty of talent there! I think I'll try HAL after the weekend and see if they can tell me if these plates can be safely eaten off of if food is unwrapped. It would make a great conversation at a dinner party as more and more of the plate is revealed. Making tables from the tile sounds like a great idea.

With all respect, do you really think a telephone customer service rep will have better or more accurate information than the information Captain Card, the ARTIST, just shared with us. HE is the person who designs/paints those tiles.

If he said it is safe to eat off the plates, it is safe to eat off the plates. ;) :cool: :)

Could you use them as chargers if you can't eat off of them?