Honestly, how do you long-time RC cruisers feel about Dynamic Dining?

I agree with the prior poster KKMurphy 2.

And I wanted to come back and address some of the comments that were raised so I don't get accused of being one of "those" posters.

First, I never said we were foodies or that we cruise specifically for the food. On the contrary, we are generally very easy to please and have somewhat simple food tastes. A special night out for us in our real life is Maggianos or The Cheesecake Factory, so the dining room in its current form is perfect for us. We've never left a dining room hungry, or anything but full. So for us, the specialty restaurants (even if they were free) are too much food, and generally, too gourmet for our tastes. We like to experiment a little on the ship to broaden our palates. But we still have to recognize (and enjoy) the main ingredients of what we order.

We enjoy the fact that by night 2, the waitstaff knows that one of us wants lemon in our tea, the other doesn't. That one of us will always order the chocolate dessert, that Savory Bites and sourdough rolls are also a hit, etc. This is a level of service we do not enjoy in our daily lives, and why the dining room is a highlight of our cruise.

We looked at the Quantum menus when they were released. For the included restaurants, I cannot find one restaurant where I can put together an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert that I would like. Yes, I am somewhat of a picky eater but not to an extreme (we have been cruising RCCL since the late 90s'. So with all the various versions of the menus that have been around since then, I've rarely had to revert to the always available whatever, and when I do, it's usually because I'm tired of seafood. And I have always been able to pick three courses that I'm interested in, in fact, most of the time, there's too many choices).

For a typical seven night itinerary on a ship with Dynamic Dining, for us that would mean eating in several of the restaurants twice, which would mean eating the exact same meal, twice in seven days. And then either having to go to Sorrentos/Windjammer/Cafe Promenade, etc for dinner, or end up having to pay for a dinner we might not like.

As for other things about a cruise, of course we love many things about them (which is why we spend time here when we're not onboard, and like many posters, are trying to figure out a way to cruise full time). I mentioned before that we cruise three lines primarily; we roughly alternate between them but not always. When we pick Royal Caribbean we are usually picking for the ship. We mostly cruise in the fall or spring, and there are few options out of Florida at those times of year (we have to fly, so convenience is another big factor for us). So it becomes a process of elimination: if we want to cruise in October, and we want to cruise Royal Caribbean...hmmm...fortunately the ships that are currently available are the ones that we happen to like the best and happen to be the most convenient.

Also of course fall is hurricane season. So we are certainly not picking an October cruise for the ports, and we want to make sure that if we do get re-routed, get more sea days, or stuck at sea for an extra day or two because there's a storm in between the ship and Florida, we want to have enough to do. Freedom, Oasis, and Allure all meet all of those criteria, and are really great ships!

I am sure that eventually we will need to be on a ship with Dynamic Dining because there will be just no other choices that fit the rest of our needs when we're picking a vacation. But I sure hope that we won't have to make that, what would be for us, a difficult choice, any time soon.

We were so looking forward to Quantum, but that cruise is not to be for us, at least in the next few years. Perhaps in a year or two if the reviews are good and people say they have no trouble booking dinner and a show at their preferred time every evening we will try one of the ships with dynamic dining.

I feel that this is a very intelligent and reasonable approach to your negative feelings towards Dynamic Dining. I really hope DD works out very well with good reviews so that you can decide to try Quantum after all. Thank you for your level headed input regarding your opinion. Happy cruising! :D

I agree with the prior poster KKMurphy 2.

And I wanted to come back and address some of the comments that were raised so I don't get accused of being one of "those" posters.

First, I never said we were foodies or that we cruise specifically for the food. On the contrary, we are generally very easy to please and have somewhat simple food tastes. A special night out for us in our real life is Maggianos or The Cheesecake Factory, so the dining room in its current form is perfect for us. We've never left a dining room hungry, or anything but full. So for us, the specialty restaurants (even if they were free) are too much food, and generally, too gourmet for our tastes. We like to experiment a little on the ship to broaden our palates. But we still have to recognize (and enjoy) the main ingredients of what we order.

We enjoy the fact that by night 2, the waitstaff knows that one of us wants lemon in our tea, the other doesn't. That one of us will always order the chocolate dessert, that Savory Bites and sourdough rolls are also a hit, etc. This is a level of service we do not enjoy in our daily lives, and why the dining room is a highlight of our cruise.

We looked at the Quantum menus when they were released. For the included restaurants, I cannot find one restaurant where I can put together an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert that I would like. Yes, I am somewhat of a picky eater but not to an extreme (we have been cruising RCCL since the late 90s'. So with all the various versions of the menus that have been around since then, I've rarely had to revert to the always available whatever, and when I do, it's usually because I'm tired of seafood. And I have always been able to pick three courses that I'm interested in, in fact, most of the time, there's too many choices).

For a typical seven night itinerary on a ship with Dynamic Dining, for us that would mean eating in several of the restaurants twice, which would mean eating the exact same meal, twice in seven days. And then either having to go to Sorrentos/Windjammer/Cafe Promenade, etc for dinner, or end up having to pay for a dinner we might not like.

As for other things about a cruise, of course we love many things about them (which is why we spend time here when we're not onboard, and like many posters, are trying to figure out a way to cruise full time). I mentioned before that we cruise three lines primarily; we roughly alternate between them but not always. When we pick Royal Caribbean we are usually picking for the ship. We mostly cruise in the fall or spring, and there are few options out of Florida at those times of year (we have to fly, so convenience is another big factor for us). So it becomes a process of elimination: if we want to cruise in October, and we want to cruise Royal Caribbean...hmmm...fortunately the ships that are currently available are the ones that we happen to like the best and happen to be the most convenient.

Also of course fall is hurricane season. So we are certainly not picking an October cruise for the ports, and we want to make sure that if we do get re-routed, get more sea days, or stuck at sea for an extra day or two because there's a storm in between the ship and Florida, we want to have enough to do. Freedom, Oasis, and Allure all meet all of those criteria, and are really great ships!

I am sure that eventually we will need to be on a ship with Dynamic Dining because there will be just no other choices that fit the rest of our needs when we're picking a vacation. But I sure hope that we won't have to make that, what would be for us, a difficult choice, any time soon.

I am seeing a lot of posts like yours on various threads. Edited by SherriZ366

As it turns out, the most available/easier free restaurant to book is the Grande ...formal every night.

Interesting... Dec 1 sailing there's several in our roll call who have booked the Grande at least half of the cruise. I found this the only restaurant I could not get my preferred seating, and was "sold out" very early

I had the rare opportunity to sail solo and boy I was very happy to be placed at a large table with 2 families. Dinner was the only time I could count on having others at my table to speak with and make plans for after dinner. Didn't meet as many other singles as I would have liked.

MARAPRINCE

I sail solo often. There have been a very small percentage of table mates whom share the same interests, excursions, time at port, or anything else for that matter other than when you see them at the dinner table. My best friends on cruises have never been at my table!... and I've visited them, and they visited me, from foreign countries. As a solo, I look forward to meeting new people each night on Q as I'll be seated with different people. Hopefully I'll end up knowing and and up having connections around the world with 5 or 6 people instead of just one!

By the way, how about this idea. What if you make some great connections early in the cruise and you and your new friends book some dining for later on together? I did just that on my last cruise on Navigator, and got the same waiter close to the same table I had on first night in Giovanni's but this time seated with long time CC'er Delacruz and DH. They were my best friends on Navigator and they were not at my MDR table. You can do it Maraprince!! :D

I feel that the business model has shown the Specialty Restaurants have brought in an income stream and Royal is trying to maximize that model in some way.

Another great post. I hadn't thought of that but the following immediately came to mind: Build a ship with only "perceived" high end dining at various venues that you may choose which seem equal/like the current specialty dining venues... but make them free! Now jack up the cruise price rather than charge $35 at Chops, etc. Could that have been part of the thought process?

Another great post. I hadn't thought of that but the following immediately came to mind: Build a ship with only "perceived" high end dining at various venues that you may choose which seem equal/like the current specialty dining venues... but make them free! Now jack up the cruise price rather than charge $35 at Chops, etc. Could that have been part of the thought process?

That's an interesting point. Im wondering if that had anything to do with the introduction of DD.

That's an interesting thought. The problem for the industry has been how to get more money per person. DD seems like it would streamline operations and reduce waste; having to store less various types of food stores since overall there are less options.

If you combine your thought with the operational cost savings, this could be a way to get the revenue per person up. It is also entirely possible that quality will improve on the food through the additional expense, not a bad thing.

I think the first fundamental of DD was families comparing new ships to land vacations and not wanting to eat in the same dining room each night. Sure there is specialty, but for a family of four or five that gets expensive fast. On land vacations people go to various dinner spots, on cruises typically the food has been included. DD seems to split the difference; choices in style, while still inclusive of the fare.

I understand why fans of traditional dining would not like DD. But let's face it, a lot of mature seasoned cruisers may cruise more frequently than families, but they cruise usually as couples, don't buy excursions from the ship, and are given all kinds of freebies and discounts by the cruiseline . DD was not made for these customers. DD is made for my generation, and more specifically my kids. They want families on board spending more money overall and not at Disney World.

Quantum is sure shaping up to be an amusement park atop a barge more than anything. Yes, I want to try it. No, I would not expect what I am familiar with. I happen to like what I am familiar with but I'm not against trying DD. The tired old sauced to death wedding banquet food needed to go and so for that alone I am excited.

Does anyone know how DD works for lunch on sea days? Have always enjoyed MDR lunch and salad bar.

We have always enjoyed the traditional dining option that has the same table mates, same servers, & same time. We also enjoyed the variety of specialty restaurants and yet did not like the MTD the one time we tried it on HAL. We also value sailing different lines for different experiences.

So now we have a group cruise booked on NOS with early traditional seating that will be with friends with all dinners in the MDR and another cruise 4 months later on Oasis. Just the 2 of us and want to try a few specialty restaurants.

Considering the differences in the ship's, group vs just us, & now the different dining experiences, we are looking forward to 2 very different cruises on the same cruise line. Kind of like having our cake & eating it too.:D

I am not a long term cruiser but was on the Indy this year and lived the mdr as did our 6&8 year old and we have booked for anthem next year and as excited as we are - not sure how it's going to be without the mdr [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that my reservations are made, I'm looking forward to the Q experience.

With DD, are they holding back a number of tables for either reserving on board or for people to have when they show up without a reservation?

With DD, are they holding back a number of tables for either reserving on board or for people to have when they show up without a reservation?

Don't think anyone knows at this early stage.

A 20% reserve figure has been mentioned in the past but that is bound to change as RCI gets some data from the first few sailings.

Last year we were on a B2B2B totaling 41 days (15+15+11).

We had traditional dining in the main dining room and thus 15 different menus. So over the 41 days, no menu was used more than 3 times.

Under DD, assuming we switched no-charge dining rooms every evening and were willing to have 10 formal nights, we would then have each of the four available menus at least 10 times.

There is quite a difference between having the same menu 3 times vs 10 times.

Last year we were on a B2B2B totaling 41 days (15+15+11).

We had traditional dining in the main dining room and thus 15 different menus. So over the 41 days, no menu was used more than 3 times.

Under DD, assuming we switched no-charge dining rooms every evening and were willing to have 10 formal nights, we would then have each of the four available menus at least 10 times.

There is quite a difference between having the same menu 3 times vs 10 times.

Your comparison is very interesting, indeed. I would not want 10 formal nights, thereby making the repetitiveness of the no-charge dining menus options remaining even more.

Most people don't have the luxury of a B2B2B, at least I know I can't see that in my present nor future, so I envy you. On a 7-14 day cruise, I would not mind, having an opportunity to enjoy a menu twice, if I enjoy what is on it. It would give me an opportunity to try something else.

There are other things about DD that annoy people. When it is on a ship, that I am cruising on, I will see how I like it....I won't go out of my way to cruise on a ship with it, nor will I go out of my way to avoid it, either.

Princess has something similar on several of their ships. Four themed dining rooms. I liked it when we tried it. No waiting, If one was full we went to one of the other three.

It is really not similar.

All five dining rooms offer the same menus and the same dress code each evening. There is a different menu each evening.

The four themed dining rooms (the fifth is traditional fixed time dining) are the equivalent of My Time Dining and have one additional dish (same throught the cruise) unique to each dining room but which can be ordered in any of the five dining rooms.

It is really not similar.

All five dining rooms offer the same menus and the same dress code each evening. There is a different menu each evening.

The four themed dining rooms (the fifth is traditional fixed time dining) are the equivalent of My Time Dining and have one additional dish (same throught the cruise) unique to each dining room but which can be ordered in any of the five dining rooms.

Reading your reply, to which I am responding confuses me. It either has the same menu or it doesn't but you wrote - "All five dining rooms offer the same menus and the same dress code each evening. There is a different menu each evening."

I'm curious. How do the loyal RC cruisers, Diamond and above, feel about the possible change over to fleet-wide Dynamic Dining?

Do you welcome the change, or is it a little upsetting to you, too?

Although I have been cruising, I am out of the loop. What is Dynamic Dining? Thank you.

On the contrary, we are generally very easy to please and have somewhat simple food tastes.

Yes, I am somewhat of a picky eater but not to an extreme

Sorry to sound like a bit of a negative Nancy - but it just bugged me that the above two sentences in your post kind of contradict each other!

Reading your reply, to which I am responding confuses me. It either has the same menu or it doesn't but you wrote - "All five dining rooms offer the same menus and the same dress code each evening. There is a different menu each evening."

There is a different new menu each evening. The new menu is the same in all 5 dining rooms.

In other words, it does not matter which dining room you eat in, the menu will be the same that evening. The next evening it will be a new menu.

Edited by caribill

There is a different new menu each evening. The new menu is the same in all 5 dining rooms.

In other words, it does not matter which dining room you eat in, the menu will be the same that evening. The next evening it will be a new menu.

Are you talking about dynamic dining here because I think you are mistaken? Each of the dining rooms has their own menu which doesn't change.

Are you talking about dynamic dining here because I think you are mistaken? Each of the dining rooms has their own menu which doesn't change.

You are correct.

If I understand it correctly:

Each restaurant will have its own specific menu which does not change from night to night.

Each restaurant will also offer the usual "always available items" which will be the same for all the restaurants.

bosco

The poster was responding to a question about dining on a Princess ship, not DD.