Princess now telling us when we can arrive at port to board??

mickeyforus

we have an Alaska cruise booked with Princess out of Seattle in september. Truthfully, it has been nothing but a headache ever since we made the full payment, our cabin was changed to an upgrade (which was NOT) flight times changed several times and we had to cancel and book our own etc etc etc

today i received an email stating when to arrive at the port to begin boarding. while i understand this may be great to try to avoid over crowding at certain times. However it flight arrival or hotel check out was definately NOT considered.

We are looking for a well deserved relaxing vacation, full of fun and natural beauty. We are not looking at sitting in airports for hours and hours or having to sit in some restaurant etc for hours waiting for our time to head over to the port.

What are your feelings?

I think we've gotten that notification for the several last cruises to arrive at 1pm. And is only a suggestion and it's not being selfish at all (despite what one person says above). We have gotten to the port around 12 and had a long line to wait in, and other times have gotten there around 11:30 a couple of times and were able to check in just about immediately. So in those cases, we've helped spread out the crowds, IMO.

And every time, were able to go directly to our cabin upon boarding and been able to unpack our carry ons a bit, check out the cabin to make sure things were working, and meet our cabin steward if he/she comes by. And then go to the Horizon Court (which isn't always a zoo so maybe we have timing in our favor) and then explore the ship.

Next issue, the last few cruises we've marked our booking "no upgrade" and have stay put. But it is something one has to request of the TA or booking agent. I just wish that Princess would respect this and ask passengers with the DNU requests first to see if they would be willing (maybe they'll like the new cabin). But ask first, please, Princess.

Next issue, most of our cruises have been from our home port so no flights needed. But when we do travel to our cruise, we've made our own arrangements, ever since Carnival gave us red-eyed flights to Miami, arriving the morning of our cruise, which we insisted get changed to arrival the evening before. I always make sure we get in at least a day ahead of the cruise so we can relax and we can even get in a shopping trip for wine and soda.

Even though it's more work to take care of these details (but if you have a great TA who understands what you want...), I would rather take control of the arrangements. We pad in extra time coming and going (for our Alaskan cruise, we stayed post-cruise in Seattle for a few days) so we will be relaxed before, during, and after our cruise.

Easy. You can ignore their advice and arrive as early as you want at the terminal.

Everybody else does it - why not you?

After all, this is the ME, ME, ME, ME, ME Generation you are cruising with.

Then you can have a nice leisurely wait standing in line for a few hours to check in.

Then you get shuttled to the buffet, because your cabin is not ready yet. ---not on Princess. Your cabin is ready when they start embarkation

At the buffet you can fight the mobs trying to eat their money's worth on the first day, then get in some exercise trying to find an empty table where you can eat.

That all sounds very relaxing, don't you think?

Princess realizes that if you have to be out of a hotel at 11 AM or if you have a flight that arrives at 7:30 AM that the time in the notice is a suggestion.

They do not expect you to stay at the airport until mid-afternoon while Princess xfer after Princess xfer leaves for the ship.

Also ignore the suggestions about what to wear on formal nights....Princess rules are made to be not followed as soooooooo many have suggested on this topic...:D:D:D

Only by those that wish to follow them but getting back to the OP's question just what would you expect him to do? Sit at the airport for 2 hours so he can follow their suggestion? Yea right. :rolleyes: There aren't that many people who could go along with it except people who live locally & drive to the port. The rest are arriving by bus & air and some dropped off by their friends on the way to work. What are they to do, wait in the street?

If Princess were really serious about the boarding schedule they could consider some incentive for those that do follow their "suggestion", like one free dinner per couple in Sabatinie's for their trouble. :D

If Princess were really serious about the boarding schedule they could consider some incentive for those that do follow their "suggestion", like one free dinner per couple in Sabatinie's for their trouble. :D

Since Princess is making the suggestions to make your life easier, why on earth should you expect a reward?

Get there early & don't pay attention to their suggestion. They email everyone hoping that a percentage will follow their advice so as to relieve congestion.

That's all fine & well but since I paid for the whole day & should be entitled to board ASAP and not according to their schedule. If you enjoy eating in the DR for lunch following their advice won't allow for it.

When it comes to your remark' you paid for the whole day' embarkation day. Maybe you did not notice.On a 14 day cruise you will notice when you read days that disembarking is on the 15 Day.You get a full breakfast on that day too.

In my personal way of looking at this Princess has your paid cruise starting in the afternoon....? Heather:)

If they were really serious about this, they would refuse to check in those who choose to ignore instructions and show up before their assigned boarding time, if people from earlier groups are still waiting.

I can certainly understand wanting to get on the ship as early as possible. But I can also understand why Princess does not want 2500 passengers showing up at 11:30am expecting to have lunch in the MDR…

When it comes to your remark' you paid for the whole day' embarkation day. Maybe you did not notice.On a 14 day cruise you will notice when you read days that disembarking is on the 15 Day.You get a full breakfast on that day too.

In my personal way of looking at this Princess has your paid cruise starting in the afternoon....? Heather:)

Good point Heather!

Who's suggesting a breakfast on embarkation day? We're talking about lunch in the DR and not the buffet, which if you follow their suggestion will not happen.

It's also funny that some people who seem to want to follow their boarding schedule are also the first to complain about eating at the buffet the first day. :p

We got same email last December on our Royal Princess cruise. It was suggested we arrive after 1:30 or something. We got there around 11, walked right in. No waiting, no section being called. I think total time from curb to ship was somewhere around 15 minutes. It was fast enough that all work related things that I hoped to finish while in terminal, I finished on the ship.

These are just suggestions. We arrived at 11, because our flight landed not much earlier than that. And it's like 10 minutes from airport to cruise port in FLL. Nobody told me that it's not our time to check in, or that we should wait, etc.

we have an Alaska cruise booked with Princess out of Seattle in september. Truthfully, it has been nothing but a headache ever since we made the full payment, our cabin was changed to an upgrade (which was NOT) flight times changed several times and we had to cancel and book our own etc etc etc

today i received an email stating when to arrive at the port to begin boarding. while i understand this may be great to try to avoid over crowding at certain times. However it flight arrival or hotel check out was definately NOT considered.

We are looking for a well deserved relaxing vacation, full of fun and natural beauty. We are not looking at sitting in airports for hours and hours or having to sit in some restaurant etc for hours waiting for our time to head over to the port.

What are your feelings?

Are you flying in the day of the cruise or staying at a hotel the night prior? If staying at a hotel, you may want to ask if they offer any sort of service to hold your luggage for a few hours between check out and boarding. Seattle is a fantastic city, there are some very fun things to do that only take a couple of hours. If your hotel is anywhere near the Space Needle, I would recommend checking out the Chihuly glass museum, it is at your own pace and you can spend a few hours there prior to the cruise seeing some amazing pieces of art.

As mentioned by others, it is a suggestion by Princess as to when to arrive, rather than a hard fast rule. There could be long lines depending on the time, if waiting in line is something that you would prefer not to do the later time might be better.

Who's suggesting a breakfast on embarkation day? We're talking about lunch in the DR and not the buffet, which if you follow their suggestion will not happen.

It's also funny that some people who seem to want to follow their boarding schedule are also the first to complain about eating at the buffet the first day. :p

Do you really think that everyone wants to be the first on the ship just to eat in the dining room or the buffet for that matter? You certainly are not going to miss much that will not be served during the rest of your cruise. Worried about getting your moneys worth? Only in America...me me me :(

If they were really serious about this, they would refuse to check in those who choose to ignore instructions and show up before their assigned boarding time, if people from earlier groups are still waiting...

This is what I thought was going to happen when I first received one of these emails. I then realized that the only way this would work is if the port had a huge lounge area for early pax to wait, otherwise they would just be milling around outside at the pier causing congestion there.

You agree then that you do not pay for the whole day on Embarkation Day like you thought you had in your previous post.

I am actually going to try the International Buffet when I board which will be 2 Pm due to my relatives bringing me to the port. They did not have that area on Sapphire ,Diamond ,Sun,Dawn ,Star,Pacific when I cruised before.I could have boarded much earlier due to my deck plus elite status.I've heard very good vibes about that area+I can have one of my beloved lattes.Found an old coffee card with two holes not punched....Yipeee Heather:D;)

Edited by kruisey

I am actually going to try the International Buffet when I board which will be 2 Pm due to my relatives bringing me to the port. ...I can have one of my beloved lattes.Found an old coffee card with two holes not punched

Good idea, Heather! I have noticed people doing that lately. Usually they are so eager to get to their cabins, they just hop on an elevator and disappear. The few who get a sandwich or something at IC and then sit in the Piazza for awhile look so much more relaxed. I usually don't have a big carry-on bag with me, so I think I can do this, too, next time. That way it doesn't matter as much when a person boards. (Love finding old coffee cards!)

[quote name='mickeyforus']we have an Alaska cruise booked with Princess out of Seattle in september. Truthfully, it has been nothing but a headache ever since we made the full payment, our cabin was changed to an upgrade (which was NOT) flight times changed several times and we had to cancel and book our own etc etc etc
today i received an email stating when to arrive at the port to begin boarding. whirl i understand this may be great to try to avoid over crowding at certain times. However it flight arrival or hotel check out was definately NOT considered.
What are your feelings?[/QUOTE]

Couple of points:
1) In regards to the upgrade(not)-while the upgrade may not be an upgrade in the eyes of the passenger it is always an upgrade based on location or price
2) Princess had nothing to do with the altered flight times - that was strictly the airlines. With ez air Princess is just like any other travel agent, they simply book your flight. My problem with ez air is they book based on best price not flight best suited to you.
3) My final point.......there are thousands and thousands of people who would love to be taking your cabin on the cruise but can't. So pray nothing serious happens on the cruise,suck it up, and enjoy the cruise.

thanks everyone.
we had arranged a shuttle to head over and arrive around noon. Last year on carribbean princess we could get into our cabin right away so that was very handy. hopefully the same this year and then to the dining room. :)
( guess i never noticed the email with the arrival then, we took the train into Penn station in New York and Taxi over so very little waiting around areas)

yes, unfortunately we have had a lot of issues with our booking. we ended up cancelling the flight and booked seperately, what was originally a 7 hour flight in total was switched several times and then made into a 15 hour flight, which was ridiculous. i went on expedia and got it cheaper and at the 7 hour again.

[quote name='kruisey']You agree then that you do not pay for the whole day on Embarkation Day like you thought you had in your previous post.
I am actually going to try the International Buffet when I board which will be 2 Pm due to my relatives bringing me to the port. They did not have that area on Sapphire ,Diamond ,Sun,Dawn ,Star,Pacific when I cruised before.I could have boarded much earlier due to my deck plus elite status.I've heard very good vibes about that area+I can have one of my beloved lattes.Found an old coffee card with two holes not punched....Yipeee Heather:D;)[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Of course you pay for the whole day....check your bill or gratuities payment.
It really doesn't make much difference either way as people (myself included) will be arriving as early as possible. The few that don't, will go through embarkation faster but I'll be in the DR & have my clothes unpacked before muster. [/FONT]

[quote name='Lovetocruiseprincess'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Of course you pay for the whole day....check your bill or gratuities payment.
It really doesn't make much difference either way as people (myself included) will be arriving as early as possible. The few that don't, will go through embarkation faster but I'll be in the DR & [COLOR="Red"]have my clothes unpacked before muster. [/FONT][/QUOTE][/COLOR]

That is how we prefer to start the cruise, clothes unpacked before the life boat drill & then ready for our vacation to start!

I also agree. As many have said, you can go early and the worst that would happen is you have to wait around the cruise port instead of in your hotel. It's usually pretty comfortable to wait although we've seldom had to wait for long.

I think they suggest to everyone to come later so that some will, but they are just suggesting a time.

I don't buy that it's for *our* convenience though. I think they just want to spread out the workload. As it typically turns out the workload is pretty spread out anyway as some are driving in, some coming from hotels, and others flying in later so not everyone gets there early. We just go when we feel like going and roll with it.

Princess is nice in that they have the rooms finished pretty early. On Royal and Celebrity cruises we always have to wait until at least 1:00p (often later) so Princess always seems like a treat in comparison.

Tom

[quote name='islandatsea'][/COLOR]

That is how we prefer to start the cruise, clothes unpacked before the life boat drill & then ready for our vacation to start![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Lovetocruiseprincess'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Of course you pay for the whole day....check your bill or gratuities payment.[/FONT][/quote]You pay for a full day of gratuities because as soon as the previous cruise's passengers get off (after breakfast on turn-around day), the entire ship's crew starts working for you. No matter what time you actually board the ship. Most of the crew works harder on that day than on any other day of the cruise. Are you really suggesting that they should receive fewer gratuities if Princess starts getting stricter about staggered boarding times?

[quote name='hawkeyetlse']You pay for a full day of gratuities because as soon as the previous cruise's passengers get off (after breakfast on turn-around day), the entire ship's crew starts working for you. No matter what time you actually board the ship. Most of the crew works harder on that day than on any other day of the cruise.[COLOR="Red"] Are you really suggesting that they should receive fewer gratuities if Princess starts getting stricter about staggered boarding times?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]No, not at all. The comment about gratuities was made in regards to a previous post concerning staggered boarding times, period. I do realize the crew is working for me that whole day as well and have no problem with them getting their full share. And by the same token everyone should be allowed to board to enjoy the ship based upon their arrival time at the port and not Princess's predetermined schedule. Early to arrive should be the first to board. [/FONT]

So far they have not done this, but if Princess were to force the issue and allow some on at 11:00a and others not until 3:00p there should be some compensation for the 4 hour difference. The crew may be working, but the ones forced to wait have to pay for their own lunch and have to probably wait around the terminal or hotel with not much to do. I guess you could say it's a time for sight seeing, but what if you're from the area around the port.

So far they've only been making suggestions so life is not so Draconian as all of that. It would get interesting wondering who gets to pull the long straws and start their vacation early and who gets to sit around wishing they could get on the ship.

Tom

[quote name='hawkeyetlse']You pay for a full day of gratuities because as soon as the previous cruise's passengers get off (after breakfast on turn-around day), the entire ship's crew starts working for you. No matter what time you actually board the ship. Most of the crew works harder on that day than on any other day of the cruise. Are you really suggesting that they should receive fewer gratuities if Princess starts getting stricter about staggered boarding times?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BruceMuzz']Easy. You can ignore their advice and arrive as early as you want at the terminal.
Everybody else does it - why not you?
After all, this is the ME, ME, ME, ME, ME Generation you are cruising with.
Then you can have a nice leisurely wait standing in line for a few hours to check in.
Then you get shuttled to the buffet, because your cabin is not ready yet.
At the buffet you can fight the mobs trying to eat their money's worth on the first day, then get in some exercise trying to find an empty table where you can eat.
That all sounds very relaxing, don't you think?

The civilized passengers arrange for a late check out at the hotel, then go to a nice restaurant for a leisurely lunch, stop back at the hotel to pick up their bags, arrive at the terminal after all the mob scene at check-in has disappeared, check-in takes about 2 minutes, stroll aboard with no lines in front of you, cabin is ready, mob scene at the buffet has been cleared up, have a nice snack and a drink, fully relaxed and already in vacation mode.[/QUOTE]

So everybody who does not do it your way is uncivilized? RIIIIIGHT !! ,