Princess now telling us when we can arrive at port to board??

mickeyforus

[quote name='cruiseryyc']Look at it this way - if your were going to a resort somewhere (all inclusive, Disneyland, etc.) you would NOT be able to check in until 3:00 p.m. Why should a cruise be any different?[/QUOTE]

Because a cruise is much different from a resort as many know.

[quote name='Lovetocruiseprincess'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]No, not at all. The comment about gratuities was made in regards to a previous post concerning staggered boarding times, period. I do realize the crew is working for me that whole day as well and have no problem with them getting their full share. And by the same token everyone should be allowed to board to enjoy the ship based upon their arrival time at the port and not Princess's predetermined schedule. Early to arrive should be the first to board. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

Do you get up to the pool area early for an all day lounger.? Heather:)

[quote name='kruisey']Do you get up to the pool area early for an all day lounger.? Heather:)[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Actually I do but only on sea days when the place gets over crowded. On port days it's not necessary since most people are off the ship & we get a choice of seats all day long. [/FONT]

I've cruised on four different cruise lines and we've always received a time for when to board. Whether that is the time I arrive to board is a different story. I'm willing to take my chances. Edited by Pushka

[quote name='BruceMuzz']Easy. You can ignore their advice and arrive as early as you want at the terminal.
Everybody else does it - why not you?
After all, this is the ME, ME, ME, ME, ME Generation you are cruising with.
Then you can have a nice leisurely wait standing in line for a few hours to check in.
Then you get shuttled to the buffet, because your cabin is not ready yet.
At the buffet you can fight the mobs trying to eat their money's worth on the first day, then get in some exercise trying to find an empty table where you can eat.
That all sounds very relaxing, don't you think?

The civilized passengers arrange for a late check out at the hotel, then go to a nice restaurant for a leisurely lunch, stop back at the hotel to pick up their bags, arrive at the terminal after all the mob scene at check-in has disappeared, check-in takes about 2 minutes, stroll aboard with no lines in front of you, cabin is ready, mob scene at the buffet has been cleared up, have a nice snack and a drink, fully relaxed and already in vacation mode.[/QUOTE]

Bruce, you said it much better than I could have said. Entitled ... you bet. With all the problems in the world people are bent out of shape by not being the first one on board? Really??? Glad we will not be on their cruise. And Bruce, thanks for the tip. We will do that on our South American Cruise. I never thought of that. Much, much more relaxing.

[quote name='cruiseryyc']How is it different? You're paying for 7 nights in a hotel, just one that happens to float.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you'd have to go to an all inclusive hotel to get the same benefits you get with a cruise. Have you priced them out yet?

I also agree that all this entitlement can be, at best annoying, at worst, sickening.

[quote name='BruceMuzz']. . .
[B]Then you get shuttled to the buffet, because your cabin is not ready yet. [/B]
. . . [/quote]
[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you knew everything about Princess as you claim to, you'd know that cabins are always ready upon boarding. Busted.

And what's so entitled about wanting to board and begin one's vacation as soon as possible? It's not about being "first"; that's a total misrepresentation of what people are saying. I don't care how many get on before me. All I care about is that I go when I'm ready, not when Princess thinks I should be ready. Then, once aboard, I can lose the hand luggage, grab a drink, relax on the promenade, and watch my favourite reality show: "Longshoremen at Work." Dragging a carry-on to a land restaurant or doing sightseeing, all the while constantly checking one's watch to see if it's too early or worse, too late, to head over to the pier is hardly relaxing.
[/FONT][/COLOR] Edited by rdsqrl

[quote name='rdsqrl'][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS] Then, once aboard, I can lose the hand luggage, grab a drink, relax on the promenade, and watch my favourite reality show: "Longshoremen at Work."
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

LOL! I like that show, too!

[quote name='cruiseryyc']How is it different? You're paying for 7 nights in a hotel, just one that happens to float.[/QUOTE]

If you do not know the difference then we can see why you made your statement. Main differences is does a hotel move to different ports? Does a hotel gve you food you do not pay for seperatetly in more than 7 location on the premises? Does a hotel provide multiple entertainment venues and activities for no additional cost. Just to name a few. But I guess you do not see the difference.

[quote name='rdsqrl'][COLOR=indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you knew everything about Princess as you claim to, you'd know that cabins are always ready upon boarding. Busted. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]And what's so entitled about wanting to board and begin one's vacation as soon as possible? It's not about being "first"; that's a total misrepresentation of what people are saying. I don't care how many get on before me. All I care about is that I go when I'm ready, not when Princess thinks I should be ready. Then, once aboard, I can lose the hand luggage, grab a drink, relax on the promenade, and watch my favourite reality show: "Longshoremen at Work." Dragging a carry-on to a land restaurant or doing sightseeing, all the while constantly checking one's watch to see if it's too early or worse, too late, to head over to the pier is hardly relaxing. [/COLOR][/FONT]
[/quote]

Touche' Edited by Colo Cruiser

I'm halfway through reading this thread (very interesting points of view) and I have a question? On a cruise labeled '10 nights' I would actually pay for 11 days gratuity? Just curious.

In regard to original post, I think that after paying thousands for a trip we should be able to board when we feel like it. I will be boarding later on my cruise because I personally don't want to deal with the crowds.

[quote name='zephyrella14']I'm halfway through reading this thread (very interesting points of view) and I have a question? On a cruise labeled '10 nights' I would actually pay for 11 days gratuity? Just curious.

In regard to original post, I think that after paying thousands for a trip we should be able to board when we feel like it. I will be boarding later on my cruise because I personally don't want to deal with the crowds.[/QUOTE]

You pay gratuity by 'night' not by full days. So a '10 day' cruise would have 10 nights. 9 full days and two partial days.

Tom

[quote name='waltd']Do you really think that everyone wants to be the first on the ship just to eat in the dining room or the buffet for that matter? You certainly are not going to miss much that will not be served during the rest of your cruise. Worried about getting your moneys worth? Only in America...me me me :([/QUOTE]

Do you know how hard I work for my money? After I cry over how much I get taxed, your darn right I want to get my money's worth!

I'm taking my first cruise next year on the Crown Princess out of LA. I plan on being there early, regardless of any email that Princess may send me suggesting a check-in time.

I want to get on as early as possible because, quite frankly, I'm excited about taking my first cruise to see if I like cruising.

[quote name='Lovetocruiseprincess'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Actually I do but only on sea days when the place gets over crowded. On port days it's not necessary since most people are off the ship & we get a choice of seats all day long. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

I wish you were on my cruise you could have saved me a lounger in shady spot
at the same time.I like to to chat with folks at breakfast in the dining room.Then go for my morning walk on the promenade deck weather permitting.Then settle down on a lounger.Unfortunately i just found out yesterday that there are no loungers on Emerald Princess the promenade deck is not wide enough.Therefore I need someone like you will full knowledge of how one gets a lounger up top plus hold the seat while one has breakfast and a healthy walk first......Heather:D;) Edited by kruisey

[quote name='Potstech']If you do not know the difference then we can see why you made your statement. Main differences is does a hotel move to different ports? Does a hotel gve you food you do not pay for seperatetly in more than 7 location on the premises? Does a hotel provide multiple entertainment venues and activities for no additional cost. Just to name a few. But I guess you do not see the difference.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely know the difference having been on more than 15 cruises and many, many land vacations including all inclusives. We aren't talking about what each provides but what time you check in. Edited by cruiseryyc

[quote name='zacc']
2) With ez air Princess is just like any other travel agent, they simply book your flight. My problem with ez air is they book based on best price not flight best suited to you.
[/quote]

Princess does not select your flights, you do. If you do not see a price/schedule combination you like, then do not select flights with EZAir.

EZAir does not cover all airlines (example, no Southwest), so the best flight arrangements for you may not even be available with EZAir.

[quote name='kruisey']I wish you were on my cruise you could have saved me a lounger in shady spot
at the same time.I like to to chat with folks at breakfast in the dining room.Then go for my morning walk on the promenade deck weather permitting.Then settle down on a lounger.Unfortunately i just found out yesterday that there are no loungers on Emerald Princess the promenade deck is not wide enough.Therefore I need someone like you will full knowledge of how one gets a lounger up top plus hold the seat while one has breakfast and a healthy walk first......Heather:D;)[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]It's actually quite easy. I get up early, stakes out a seat that I know will be in the shade later in the day with my towel, book & carry bag & then go for something at the IC with coffee. Then back to my seat for a while to make sure I don't lose it & by that time my wife is about ready to arrive & we simply take turns for breakfast in the buffet. There's no need to rush since the other person is on guard while the other gets to enjoy a leisurely breakfast. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]We really don't like don't like the promenade for seating. [/FONT]

[quote name='tserface']So far they have not done this, but if Princess were to force the issue and allow some on at 11:00a and others not until 3:00p there should be some compensation for the 4 hour difference.[/quote]I think they would respond that the cruise contract only really requires them to take you on the cruise, which begins at sailaway time, or at all-aboard time. They are not obligated to let you board and start using the ship's facilities (staterooms, dining areas, bars, pools, etc.) several hours before sailaway. They could offer early boarding as a perk for priority passengers or for people who choose to pay an extra charge. Because I think that is what it is: an extra perk currently offered to everybody at the discretion of the cruise line. It is not something you are automatically entitled to as part of your basic cruise fare.

[quote name='cruiseryyc']I absolutely know the difference having been on more than 15 cruises and many, many land vacations including all inclusives. We aren't talking about what each provides but what time you check in.[/quote]

One and the same. What each provides influences when you can check in. By the way I have checked in early to many hotels as I have arrived early. And have never been told that I had to wait until a certain time. If my room was ready I was allowed to check in upon arrival. Just like a cruise ship.

[quote name='Lovetocruiseprincess'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]It's actually quite easy. I get up early, stakes out a seat that I know will be in the shade later in the day with my towel, book & carry bag & then go for something at the IC with coffee. Then back to my seat for a while to make sure I don't lose it & by that time my wife is about ready to arrive & we simply take turns for breakfast in the buffet. There's no need to rush since the other person is on guard while the other gets to enjoy a leisurely breakfast. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]We really don't like don't like the promenade for seating. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

You could say you were keeping that lounger for your elderly mom.It is a great pity you guys are not on my cruise.Anyone on my cruise reading this.Would you take up the offer?.I could hold the seats while you both had breakfast together? Heather :D;) Edited by kruisey

RC dose the same. was in Sydney and took a taxi to port for 12, told I could not check in until 3 - checked my luggage. Then went for a nice walk. cane back at 2, and had to wait a few minutes until they called my luggage colour and boarded. Seems to happen a lot. Perhaps due to Noro, they take longer to clean the ships better, that is ok by me - at least they are not last minute or sailing without me!
I remember the days when we all sat in an enclosed room on the dock, and it was a cattle rush when they opened the gates.
Last cruise out of Florida we had a late leasurely breakfast left our luggage at the hotel went for a walk, then took taxi at 2 no lines, plenty of food!