Princess now telling us when we can arrive at port to board??

mickeyforus

we have an Alaska cruise booked with Princess out of Seattle in september. Truthfully, it has been nothing but a headache ever since we made the full payment, our cabin was changed to an upgrade (which was NOT) flight times changed several times and we had to cancel and book our own etc etc etc

today i received an email stating when to arrive at the port to begin boarding. while i understand this may be great to try to avoid over crowding at certain times. However it flight arrival or hotel check out was definately NOT considered.

We are looking for a well deserved relaxing vacation, full of fun and natural beauty. We are not looking at sitting in airports for hours and hours or having to sit in some restaurant etc for hours waiting for our time to head over to the port.

What are your feelings?

we have an Alaska cruise booked with Princess out of Seattle in september. Truthfully, it has been nothing but a headache ever since we made the full payment, our cabin was changed to an upgrade (which was NOT) flight times changed several times and we had to cancel and book our own etc etc etc

today i received an email stating when to arrive at the port to begin boarding. while i understand this may be great to try to avoid over crowding at certain times. However it flight arrival or hotel check out was definately NOT considered.

We are looking for a well deserved relaxing vacation, full of fun and natural beauty. We are not looking at sitting in airports for hours and hours or having to sit in some restaurant etc for hours waiting for our time to head over to the port.

What are your feelings?

The staggered boarding time is something Princess has done for a while. A lot of people simply ignore it and go to port when they find it convenient. If you show up too early you are going to have a wait no matter what. In our experience usually the boarding doesn't start until sometime around 11:30am to 12:30pm depending on the port.

Edited by ar1950

What are your feelings?

Easy. You can ignore their advice and arrive as early as you want at the terminal.

Everybody else does it - why not you?

After all, this is the ME, ME, ME, ME, ME Generation you are cruising with.

Then you can have a nice leisurely wait standing in line for a few hours to check in.

Then you get shuttled to the buffet, because your cabin is not ready yet.

At the buffet you can fight the mobs trying to eat their money's worth on the first day, then get in some exercise trying to find an empty table where you can eat.

That all sounds very relaxing, don't you think?

The civilized passengers arrange for a late check out at the hotel, then go to a nice restaurant for a leisurely lunch, stop back at the hotel to pick up their bags, arrive at the terminal after all the mob scene at check-in has disappeared, check-in takes about 2 minutes, stroll aboard with no lines in front of you, cabin is ready, mob scene at the buffet has been cleared up, have a nice snack and a drink, fully relaxed and already in vacation mode.

Only once did we have to wait until our assigned time and that was because the ship had arrived from South America and some fool brought drugs in so customs only allowed a few people off the ship at a time. That seriously delayed the disembarkation process. There were so many people waiting to board that they had to stagger the boarding. We ended up sailing 4 or 5 hours late. Usually they aren't that strict with the boarding times so go when you want.

I show up at 1130 and will continue to do so. Carnival did the same thing to us in April. Wanted us to show up around 1 or 130. We showed early and had to wait but I was in my cabin before 1 which starts my vacation. Its something I believe cruiselines are doing to try and get people to show later. If I have to wait then so be it.

Just recently did the Alaska to and from Seattle. Everything went smoothly. Had spent the night before at local hotel and took their shuttle to pier. Arrived early so we could enjoy relaxing lunch in dining room. It was wonderful. No rushing or waiting to be seated. As the norm crew directed us to Buffet when we asked which dining room was open. When we dropped off our carry on in cabin, I called guest service and they directed us to open lunch dining room. Just faster then looking it up on Patter. Relax and enjoy. If you look for troubles they will find you!!

Get there early & don't pay attention to their suggestion. They email everyone hoping that a percentage will follow their advice so as to relieve congestion.

That's all fine & well but since I paid for the whole day & should be entitled to board ASAP and not according to their schedule. If you enjoy eating in the DR for lunch following their advice won't allow for it.

Easy. You can ignore their advice and arrive as early as you want at the terminal.

Then you can have a nice leisurely wait standing in line for a few hours to check in.

At the buffet you can fight the mobs trying to eat their money's worth on the first day, then get in some exercise trying to find an empty table where you can eat.

The civilized passengers arrange for a late check out at the hotel, then go to a nice restaurant for a leisurely lunch, stop back at the hotel to pick up their bags, arrive at the terminal after all the mob scene at check-in has disappeared, check-in takes about 2 minutes, stroll aboard with no lines in front of you, cabin is ready, mob scene at the buffet has been cleared up, have a nice snack and a drink, fully relaxed and already in vacation mode.

Gee Bruce, where's the fun in that?? :cool:

I really do hope that you write that book you mentioned a while back......

Get there early & don't pay attention to their suggestion. They email everyone hoping that a percentage will follow their advice so as to relieve congestion.

That's all fine & well but since I paid for the whole day & should be entitled to board ASAP and not according to their schedule. If you enjoy eating in the DR for lunch following their advice won't allow for it.

We get there as early as we can too so we can start to enjoy the ship asap. Being Platinum, checking in does not take long at all just have to wait in the assigned section until we start to board the ship.

One of the things I like about Princess is the lunch in the dining room on embarkation day. It beats fighting the crowds in Horizon Court. If we arrive too late for lunch in the dining room, we'll choose to eat in the International Café. A lot of passengers will not have discovered it the first day.

The other thing I like about Princess is that the cabins are ready for you when you board.

Too true, except you forgot that Cruise Critic people are "special".

We don't wait in line with the "Wee People" and if we do, you can bet your bippy we'll scream from the highest rafters about it.

Also ignore the suggestions about what to wear on formal nights....Princess rules are made to be not followed as soooooooo many have suggested on this topic...:D:D:D

Also, did you Mark your booking no upgrade? You seem to have a fairly long list of complaints... That's no way to start a cruise and be happy with it...

Sometimes everything goes wrong. OP needs a cruise to recover from all the bad luck. Here's hoping the bad luck is over.

Oh how I wish there was a LIKE button!!

Shhhh! If everyone starts to do this, then we have to get up early to beat them to the ship ;).

Edited by Ryndam2002

What are your feelings?

You could go to the port at any time but you'll have to wait there, either sitting or standing until your section is called, at which time your room will be ready for you and lunch will be available in the mdr or the hc .

Start relaxing now. Take things as they come and don't sweat the small stuff.

LIKE!

And just think if there is a delay, which has happened, You would have still had a great morning. :)