Menu Analysis

Seapoint

We recently did a cruise on the Insignia from Istanbul to Venice. Our impression was that there was a lot of pork and shellfish on the dinner menu in the GDR, and very little lamb and veal. As we do not eat pork and shellfish, this somewhat limited the choices for us, unless we opted for a plain old steak or salmon, which are always available.

So I went back through the menus, and reviewed the Main Courses, plus the Taste of Red Ginger and Jacques.

20 dishes included shellfish

15 fish

15 vegetarian

13 beef

11 pork

11 poultry

4 veal

3 lamb.

I think this is quite surprising, as many Mediterranean cuisines feature a lot of lamb, and this was a Med cruise.

Not sure why you think that the onboard cuisine should be reflective of where the cruise is sailing? The restaurants have set menus regardless of where on earth they are, except for maybe a daily special? There is a variety in the GDR, but it is still from a generally set menu that just rotates through the cruise (if you go on the World Cruise, I am pretty certain you will be getting the same menu in the GDR a couple of times whether you're in the Pacific or Atlantic Ocean).

I think a lot of people who want to sample authentic local cuisine would prefer to sample the local cuisine at the locality rather than on board?

Also, why would you say a lot of pork when it is in the lower half of the list?

It certainly seems that there are plenty of options available to you if you don't like shellfish and pork?:confused:

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

From our various cruises I would agree that lamb is not offered that frequently but it IS offered, and whenever it is that's what I order.

Beef is available more than pork or shellfish. If you have reasons to avoid pork and shellfish (whether religious or dietary) that can be a problem, but my experience has NOT been that they are most common. And there are always vegetarian options available.

I think we are talking about the GDR here, not the specialty restaurants ... or am I wrong?

Mura

I am with Mura ..if there is Lamb available I am there except for breakfast ;)

DH rarely eats pork, lamb, steak or fish of any kind & yet he finds something to eat

The vegetarian options seem to be more limited now than they used to be

Thanks for sharing your findings

There is Pork hidden in many dishes and not mentioned as an ingredient.

This was a problem on our last O cruise of 40 days in the spring even after speaking with the head chef. (Austrian) and our butler who were very aware of our not eating any form of pork or shellfish.

Not something we will want to deal with in the future.

We recently did a cruise on the Insignia from Istanbul to Venice. Our impression was that there was a lot of pork and shellfish on the dinner menu in the GDR, and very little lamb and veal. As we do not eat pork and shellfish, this somewhat limited the choices for us, unless we opted for a plain old steak or salmon, which are always available.

So I went back through the menus, and reviewed the Main Courses, plus the Taste of Red Ginger and Jacques.

15 fish

15 vegetarian

13 beef

11 pork

11 poultry

4 veal

3 lamb.

I think this is quite surprising, as many Mediterranean cuisines feature a lot of lamb, and this was a Med cruise.

I think this breakdown makes sense. Shellfish such as shrimp and scallops are frozen at sea and do well unfrozen in menus. There are many people who do not like lamb (I love it) and do not order it. There are also many who will not eat veal so the fact that beef, pork and poultry make up the bulk of the menu makes sense.

15 fish

15 vegetarian

13 beef

11 pork

11 poultry

4 veal

3 lamb.

Just to add another perspective, we just finished a long cool/cold weather cruise on Nautica and I have to say, in my opinion, the soups and cookies were awful. The soup selection was so esoteric that most were unappetizing and the cookies were tasteless bricks. Not a big deal to many, but it really got to me. The executive chef said Miami is in control and he has no discretion on soups, even though he agreed with my observations.

Just to add another perspective, we just finished a long cool/cold weather cruise on Nautica and I have to say, in my opinion, the soups and cookies were awful. The soup selection was so esoteric that most were unappetizing and the cookies were tasteless bricks. Not a big deal to many, but it really got to me. The executive chef said Miami is in control and he has no discretion on soups, even though he agreed with my observations.

+1. The cold cucumber soup tasted and smelled like paint remover.. Cookies were stale much of the time.

There is Pork hidden in many dishes and not mentioned as an ingredient. This was a problem on our last O cruise of 40 days in the spring even after speaking with the head chef. (Austrian) and our butler who were very aware of our not eating any form of pork or shellfish. Not something we will want to deal with in the future.

The thing is ... it's not unusual for people to avoid pork and/or shellfish. Certainly Jews who keep kosher will avoid both. I know Muslims also avoid pork although I don't know their stance on shellfish.

But these people could be a fairly significant portion of the passengers. So I would think it's wiser for the ship NOT to include "hidden" bits in dishes. When I order roast pork I know what I'm getting. When I order chow mein, I know what I'm getting. But if small portions of pork (or shellfish) are included in a dish, then I do NOT know what I am getting.

Personally, I love both pork and shellfish so it's not a problem for me but I can see where it can be a problem for others.

And then there are allergies ... it's difficult for the ship in describing a dish to include every single ingredient!

I wouldn't want to be the person hired to write the descriptions of dishes ...

Mura

It is possible to request kosher meals on O - online info notes this must be done 90 days ahead of time. Same time frame as other special dietary requests.

Long story short, if you have dietary restrictions or preferences I would suggest letting O know ahead of time. As you can guess from my signature, I don't keep kosher - but I am gluten free and O has kept me safe & sound on 2 cruises so far (much better than my average land-side experience).

To see more details for restrictive diets on O, click on "guest services" at the very top of O's webpage, then look in "Before You Go" category, topic "What special diets are available on the ships?". For more detail on the exact nature and preparation of kosher meals, go to the "Shipboard Services" category and scroll through the topics to "Do you offer kosher dining options?"

As of Sep 2014, here is what it says:

What special diets are available on the ships?

Special arrangements can be made if you require Diabetic, Gluten-free, Lactose-free, Kosher, Vegetarian and Vegan. Other diets must be requested for approval and, in some cases, may require additional medical documentation.

Do you offer kosher dining options?

Yes, please contact special services at least 90 days in advance of your sailing so that we may provide your preferred selections.

The chefs of Oceania Cruises have worked with Gourmet Kosher to provide up to 70 kosher meal options, prepared with the finest USDA Certified glatt kosher meats, Grade A produce and ingredients, in facilities which are under strict Rabbinical supervision and daily USDA inspection. Each meal is frozen and delivered to our ships in double-wrapped packaging to allow the kosher meals to be reheated in non-kosher ovens. Each meal is served on kosher china with proper flatware.

While Oceania Cruises’ vessels do not have separate kosher kitchens, guests may also order a variety of kosher meats that can be cooked to taste (medium, well done, etc.) in addition to the Gourmet Kosher meal options. Please note that although the food is kosher, the onboard preparation and galley environments are not.

We are pleased to serve guests kosher meals in the Grand Dining Room restaurant, please contact the Maitre d' to make arrangements once on board. We regret that kosher meals cannot be served in other restaurants at this time. Please contact reservations for additional information.

• Sample Kosher Menu

Many people eat no shellfish or pork but do not require strictly Kosher meals.

We have been on 15 O cruises on all of the R ships and have never had the experience that was basically, " we don't give a darn." In the past the butler or waiter was always able to find out when they placed our orders if there was a " hidden ingredient" and inform us to make another choice. The kitchen on the Regatta this time was not at all cooperative. Others had similar experience on on our cruise.

If, and when, local dishes are prepared, it is typically in the Terrance. The GDR and specialties are most always set menus. Check out the Terrance for dinner some time.

To get a flair of local foods, we almost always eat lunches ashore in local restaurants that prepare local type dishes. In those few occasions where the ship either stays in port overnight or until late, we will typically eat dinner in local restaurants likewise, to enjoy the foods and wines of the region and not just what the boat delivers. In some locals, we find and have such expansive lunches on shore, that only a little liquid dinner is required. ;) O's ships have great food, that is paid for within the package price. However, it is most always food one can find, in comparable quality, in the upscale restaurants in their hometowns. I always encourage people to get off the boat to eat and drink ashore whenever the schedule allows. It's the best way to get the true experiences and adventures the cruise allows. Even with the great food, eating the set menus onboard can become tiring, particularly on longer cruises. Get off the ship!

+1. The cold cucumber soup tasted and smelled like paint remover..

I have had that soup before it was good but

I was trying to recall the taste of DH spring rolls in Red Ginger on our Jan cruise ..it did taste like a solvent of some sort & paint remover would be close ;)

I wonder why the chefs would be using it in the dishes...sabotage maybe :confused:

It took me hours to get rid of the taste & I only had a tiny piece :eek:

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Ok. So we boarded the Insignia in Istanbul. We were docked in the magnificent setting of the Bosphorus, with a backdrop of the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi. Stunning! We naturally chose to eat on the Terrace. So this is the beginning of an amazing cruise in the Med and Adriatic.

So to set the scene for the cruise, what is the focus of the menu? Was it Turkish food? Greek food? Italian food? No, believe it or not it was Mexican! Now, I happen to like Mexican food, but not as I am about to set out on an adventure in Turkey, Greece, the Balkans and Italy! Talk about being tone deaf. What a missed opportunity :(

Oceania is a small company with only five small ships. Surely they can customize menus depending on itinerary? I can understand Carnival with 20 something mega-ships being oblivious to local cuisines. But the entire fleet of R ships can fit comfortably in a mega-cruiseship, with space for an O ship as well!!

Come on Oceania, a premium line can and should do better!!

Edited by Seapoint

This doesn't appear to be your first cruise on Oceania so you should know that Terrace has different theme days. Just because they did Mexican on your day in Istanbul really shouldn't be a deal breaker. I suppose they could have done Turkish cuisine on the day you boarded, but perhaps they'd done so a couple of days before (or so) and wanted to have variety. Or maybe it's on the schedule for a few days from now.

If you NEVER get cuisine from the vicinity on your cruise, then I think you have a valid complaint.

Mura

Ok. So we boarded the Insignia in Istanbul. We were docked in the magnificent setting of the Bosphorus, with a backdrop of the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi. Stunning! We naturally chose to eat on the Terrace. So this is the beginning of an amazing cruise in the Med and Adriatic.

So to set the scene for the cruise, what is the focus of the menu? Was it Turkish food? Greek food? Italian food? No, believe it or not it was Mexican! Now, I happen to like Mexican food, but not as I am about to set out on an adventure in Turkey, Greece, the Balkans and Italy! Talk about being tone deaf. What a missed opportunity :(

Oceania is a small company with only five small ships. Surely they can customize menus depending on itinerary? I can understand Carnival with 20 something mega-ships being oblivious to local cuisines. But the entire fleet of R ships can fit comfortably in a mega-cruiseship, with space for an O ship as well!!

So would you be OK if it was a shellfish-themed Turkish cuisine in Istanbul and pork-themed in Greece, the Balkans and Italy?

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

As someone who owns property in Mexico and goes to Mexico all the time (4 hour drive) and lives in the southwest where there is great Mexican food, I would not touch the Mexico buffet on Oceania. IMO it is awful. It is the one cuisine that they do not do well. We either go to the GDR or Waves for lunch when there is a Mexican lunch buffet.

Realizing how onboard food "tastes" is a very subjective matter, I personally find O soups far too salted for my taste. Even broths. I stopped supping soup onboard several years ago despite enjoying soups regularly at home.

I am surprised at the kitchen's heavy hand with sodium in soup & other dishes since there (sorry, subjective opinion here) appear to be so many elderly passengers with outward signs of high blood pressure or edema - red faced, obese, swollen ankles etc. That said, whenever requesting a menu item with "no salt" that more often than not works out just fine and the line chefs seem perfectly capable of complying. Soups are in the pot & the salt shaker has been shaken so no luck there.

I agree with Pacheco the Mexican buffets have been awful. Looks like baby food in chafing dishes, tastes like...I love Mexican food done well but that buffet ain't my thing. Others seem to love it so I am glad they enjoy the occasion.

My husband does not eat fish, seafood or pork products but has had no trouble finding many options on Oceania cruises. Please note that one also can ask that seafood or pork added to dishes be subtracted from those dishes.

We have found that the dining staff always is happy to fill special requests regarding preparation of items on the menu.

There is Pork hidden in many dishes and not mentioned as an ingredient.

This was a problem on our last O cruise of 40 days in the spring even after speaking with the head chef. (Austrian) and our butler who were very aware of our not eating any form of pork or shellfish.

Not something we will want to deal with in the future.

I certainly understand people's concerns with certain food ingredients. Not argumentitve but I am curious. What pork is hidden in many dishes? I can understand shellfish, and extracts, used as component in an ingredient but not pork. How is pork hidden in a dish?