NCL Reports It Has Agreed to Purchase PCH

rallydave

I really think there is little comparison between the lines do to the size of the ship and number of people on it. The common thing is resort casual and lots of restaurant choices. I was on the Breakaway and it is really crowded, Haven or not. IMO the difference is their is lots to do on NCL. If you are bored you must be dead. On Oceania we felt bored lots of times. Food is good on both but better on O in some places. I feel the best food at sea is just hype. If you are under 50 or have kids Oceania is not for you. If you want to take ship shore trips Oceania is not for you. Oceania is also two class. I think it is a good fit because NCL people would feel at home on O, I do not think the reverse expect for family trips.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Two class?

Two class?

Yes, A1 and above get a hot breakfast menu for room service, boarding and room ready on boarding is based on room class and when and how many speciality restaurant reservations are made is based on room type. Compared to say Crystal it is two class system.

Yes, A1 and above get a hot breakfast menu for room service, boarding and room ready on boarding is based on room class and when and how many speciality restaurant reservations are made is based on room type. Compared to say Crystal it is two class system.

That's not a class system -- you pay more you get more. That is true on EVERY ship.

But EVERYONE eats in the same restaurants, goes to the same shows, has access to the same events and activities and is treated equally (some in lower cabins better than some in suites).

Personally I would love to try The HAVEN -- especially for a TA -- where I crave more activities and good entertainment.

I have heard fabulous things about it.

I will keep looking for the right opportunity.

When we finally are retired and have the time for a TA, I will probably look very closely at the NCL offerings, for the same reasons you cited. We have done three NCL cruises and it wasn't until the third that we finally went to a theater show....and we were really surprised how good they were.

That's not a class system -- you pay more you get more. That is true on EVERY ship.

But EVERYONE eats in the same restaurants, goes to the same shows, has access to the same events and activities and is treated equally (some in lower cabins better than some in suites).

I hope that you're taking about Oceania because that NCL Haven concept is as slick a repackaging of "First Class" as I have ever seen.....courtyard_floorplan.png1st_class_only.jpgThe signage is just more subtle....

I hope that you're taking about Oceania because that NCL Haven concept is as slick a repackaging of "First Class" as I have ever seen......

Absolutely...and that is the best part of it.

Norwegian Marketing talks about "multi-generational" demographics...and this concept is perfect. We just returned from a cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway in a Haven suite, with our grandchildren.

The ship was a true resort at sea, yet we had the luxury, privacy and pampering of the Haven suites to escape the crowds...when we wanted.

The kids enjoyed the privacy of the Haven area

14920579737_58e65d58a3_b.jpg

We had a delightful Aft facing Corner Suite

15084210196_6aa137e6f9_b.jpg

The Haven has its own private restaurant (specialty-level) for all three meals, if you so desire.

14920572050_4ef2a28e17_b.jpg

The kids got to play and enjoy all the topside venues...

15106847062_920279feb7_b.jpg

...and still get to dress up for the Captain's Party

15084210256_dc353995ec_b.jpg

Have to respectfully disagree. The one area where Oceania crosses the line into being a "class" system is their "Concierge" and "Executive" lounge. IMO, these are areas that would not be missed if they were removed. Luxury cruise lines do not have separate areas for passengers so this is not "true on EVERY ship". We have stayed in all suite levels on Regent -- the benefits we received were not "visible". There are no areas forbidden to passengers in lower class cabins.

Still feel that there is no reason to change the way NCL, Oceania or Regent currently operate their ships. Simply want to acknowledge the differences. I am trying to learn as much as I can about NCL and am reading posts by their passengers. By the same token, I feel it is important to present both Oceania and Regent honestly. There is also the issue of presenting room cards to bartenders for drinks that can cause them to treat passengers differently but I have no proof that that is the case.

On this ship, the Haven area takes up a few decks

The main Haven area

14920667270_49f76bfb82_b.jpg

The roof is a convertible... and opened on nice days

15104473411_e4a66a7021_b.jpg

The girls thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, without hassle of crowds. Haven suites get you priority-everything, yet lets you enjoy the entire ship when you want and how you want.

The concept is a sound one that can satisfy an economy customer and a premium guest looking for more luxury than basic services... on the same ship.

I can easily slip back and forth between Oceania and Norwegian and be very happy, based on itinerary and those I am sailing with.

Have to respectfully disagree. The one area where Oceania crosses the line into being a "class" system is their "Concierge" and "Executive" lounge. IMO, these are areas that would not be missed if they were removed. Luxury cruise lines do not have separate areas for passengers so this is not "true on EVERY ship". We have stayed in all suite levels on Regent -- the benefits we received were not "visible". There are no areas forbidden to passengers in lower class cabins.

Still feel that there is no reason to change the way NCL, Oceania or Regent currently operate their ships. Simply want to acknowledge the differences. I am trying to learn as much as I can about NCL and am reading posts by their passengers. By the same token, I feel it is important to present both Oceania and Regent honestly. There is also the issue of presenting room cards to bartenders for drinks that can cause them to treat passengers differently but I have no proof that that is the case.

What is TRUE on EVERY ship is that if you pay more you get more.

Pay more on O you can get hot room service breakfast, access to CC lounge, better location on the ship, pay more and you get to the Exec lounge and get a butler, pay more and you get 6 bottles of booze in your suite. You get more when you pay more -- everywhere. That is not a class system. Anyone who wishes can get the most if they want to pay the most.

And no, you have no proof of any of what you say.

The one area where Oceania crosses the line into being a "class" system is their "Concierge" and "Executive" lounge. IMO, these are areas that would not be missed if they were removed.

I can disagree. I sail Concierge class for that very reason (as well as Spa Terrace access). The lounge is a convenient coffee shop, and i would miss it.

Pointing to it as a "class" distinction is trivial. :p

There is also the issue of presenting room cards to bartenders for drinks that can cause them to treat passengers differently but I have no proof that that is the case.

That is totally false by my experience. If not having to show a card to get a drink is what constitutes "true luxury," then I am saving quite a bundle. :cool:

I can disagree. I sail Concierge class for that very reason (as well as Spa Terrace access). The lounge is a convenient coffee shop, and i would miss it.

Pointing to it as a "class" distinction is trivial. :p

That is totally false by my experience. If not having to show a card to get a drink is what constitutes "true luxury," then I am saving quite a bundle. :cool:

Of course it's false

Such posts are utterly misleading.

I found the lounges on the O class ships very convenient and a nice perk.

This issue of "showing your card" is utter nonsense.

I have to show my card at the Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton. DUH

Have to respectfully disagree. The one area where Oceania crosses the line into being a "class" system is their "Concierge" and "Executive" lounge. IMO, these are areas that would not be missed if they were removed. Luxury cruise lines do not have separate areas for passengers so this is not "true on EVERY ship

Sounds like you have not been in an executive or concierge lounge, because if you took advantage of the benefits, you might feel differently. The ability to run down to a lounge in the morning and get a continental breakfast; talk to the concierge to make specialty restaurant reservations or solve an issue is invaluable.

Your idea of a "class system" is no different than booking a porthole or a suite. The cabins are different in size and amenities. Is this a class system? NO! If you are inclined to pay more- you get more!

Put your Regent Pom poms away and recognize that different lines offer different options. I personally don't even look at a Regent as I don't want to pay for substandard tours on a crowded bus as a part of my cruise fare. Plus I generally use FF points and book my own air.

These photos of the Haven remind me of a large airport club lounge...with a pool! Then you leave the lounge and enter the frantic crowded airport...or in other words...the rest of the ship. Doesn't look great to me.

IF you want to call that a pool :D I wouldn't.

Sounds like you have not been in an executive or concierge lounge, because if you took advantage of the benefits, you might feel differently. The ability to run down to a lounge in the morning and get a continental breakfast; talk to the concierge to make specialty restaurant reservations or solve an issue is invaluable.

Your idea of a "class system" is no different than booking a porthole or a suite. The cabins are different in size and amenities. Is this a class system? NO! If you are inclined to pay more- you get more!

Put your Regent Pom poms away and recognize that different lines offer different options. I personally don't even look at a Regent as I don't want to pay for substandard tours on a crowded bus as a part of my cruise fare. Plus I generally use FF points and book my own air.

Au contraire - we have been to the Executive Lounge and were shocked - not to see some guests in bathrobes but to actually see a passenger brushing his teeth in the "Executive Lounge"! While I did not care for the snacks that were available in the lounge (yes - comparing it to the Coffee Connection on Regent -- much larger -- many more snack/breakfast/lunch offerings -- includes the Barista amenities on the Riviera -- all of this on a smaller ship and available to all passengers.) No, there is not a Concierge in the Coffee Connection, however, if you do not have a butler, you can make reservations at the dining venue.

"substandard tours on a crowded bus as part of my cruise fare"........ hmmmm, Regent uses the same tour operators as Regent but, when it does charge for excursions, it charges less than Oceania. Admittedly, I would prefer to do my own thing in terms of excursions.

Agree that the more you pay, the more you get INSIDE of the suite on luxury cruise lines - nothing obvious to other passengers.

Regent cheerleader? Absolutely. But, I have told everyone that will listen that the Riviera is the most beautiful ship we have ever sailed on. The service is equal to Regent, Food is subjective, but Regent cannot hold a candle to Jacques and Red Ginger.

The bottom line is that I call it as I see it. It is fine if you disagree with me but, obviously, I will defend my position (as you will do yours). It is all good. Obviously I enjoy Oceania enough to book a Vista Suite for our upcoming cruise.

Edited by Travelcat2

I'm with you 100%

Sorry, Pacheco18, but it is NOT true on EVERY ship! It is definitely not true on Seabourn, as you will discover on your upcoming cruise. And it was NOT true on either Silversea or Crystal the last time I cruised those lines. The only differences are in suite size but no special amenities are included for higher priced accommodations.

Edited by Winner

Sorry, Pacheco18, but it is NOT true on EVERY ship! It is definitely not true on Seabourn, as you will discover on your upcoming cruise. And it was NOT true on either Silversea or Crystal the last time I cruised those lines. The only differences are in suite size but no special amenities are included for higher priced accommodations.

You pay more for a better location on Seabourn. I found that out. Otherwise why would a V6 cost more than a V1?

If you did not get more for your money why would anyone pay more?

These photos of the Haven remind me of a large airport club lounge...with a pool! Then you leave the lounge and enter the frantic crowded airport...or in other words...the rest of the ship. Doesn't look great to me.

Agree totally....and I prefer no children, if possible. Just the fact that they are allowed into the Haven would be a deal breaker for me. Also, I prefer a more subtle and luxurious decor....just my opinion