Odd phone call about price drop

So I noticed the price of our April cruise dropped by $115pp, so I called RCI to ask about getting the price drop. This is our first booking without a TA so I've never had to call RCI about one before. The phone rep was very pleasant, but seemed a bit confused and tried to tell me the price was only a 'few dollars cheaper' when she looked at the current prices versus my reservation. I noted that it may look that way because the gratuities were included on my reservation, bringing the price up, but the base price was $115 cheaper. She then asked to put me on hold to look into it. She came back about 5 minutes later and told me that the price had indeed dropped, but it was 'for new bookings only'. I explained that this wasn't a sale price, but just a price drop. I booked during the BOGO sale a few weeks ago, which is still going on, so no new sale. She said she would have to put me on hold and call the 'Escalations Desk' and see what she could do. She was very nice, and so was I, so I wasn't sure what the big deal about the price drop was. Again I was on hold for about 5 minutes and she came back and said "Good News! I was able to adjust that price for you and my manager also noticed you had no OBC on your reservation and you should have, so he added some." I have no idea what OBC I should've had, but he added $25, which was nice...if not confusing. I was pleased that I was able to snag the price drop (and the mystery OBC), but I somehow feel a little weird....like I did something wrong, by asking for it since they had to call the 'Escalations Desk'. Should I have said something different when I called or gone about asking someone different? I'm just checking for when I have to call again if there is another price drop. Thanks in advance.

I'd print out the website showing your current price and OBC (I think OBC shows up online, although I don't know as I never book direct).

The more people involved in resolving issues the more I get concerned about things having issues when I show up. One thing I like about my TA is that whenever she applies drops she always resends my invoice which lists what drops I have coming. While just an email, it is a paper trail.

And yes you always need to call. And before you hang up verify you details again (OBC, amount due, etc).

Edited by JasonV1

Welcome to RCI customer service, they are confused a lot. It seems there is not a lot of communication, and cruisers frequently know more than they do. Sometimes you can call back 3 or 4 times and get a different answer each time. Congratulations on your price drop and OBC.

Good for you for pushing it a little! You help everyone by being polite but firm. :D Can you imagine how many people call, only to be told by the representative that it is not available because it is for new bookings only, Or the second full moon? or some other ridiculous thing? And then they give up?

Royal Caribbean states that you are entitled to price drops (lowest eligible price) on your cruise up until your final payment date. Congratulations! :D

Edited by Coralc

Sometimes I go to the local store and get a new clerk who still has more to learn. she is faster to call for assistance than the old hands who've been through it all before. Of course, even the experienced clerks are only authorized to do so much independently, so they need to bring in a supervisor or manager to complete some requests.

Since the rep did not quickly recognize the magnitude of the price drop and seemed confused, I suspect she may be a less experienced rep. With a bit more experience, she may soon be more confident and faster. Still, in some situations, supervisor or resolutions may need to assist. You did nothing wrong. congrats on catching the price drop; it covered your gratuities!