Aboard Whisper Southampton to Boston

Wellseasoned

Wellseasoned/Dieter & Debbie; thanks for the robust on board Whisper report. If y'all have time, pls pass on our very warm regards to David Bilsland--we will see him on board the Spirit in March.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Two days ago we spent the afternoon cruising the Prince Christian Sound at the southern tip of Greenland, a large and scenic fiord with some impressive glaciers and icebergs. Yesterday morning we anchored at Qaqortoq, a small pretty town which is actually the fourth largest "city" in Greenland. We did a pleasant walking tour, and the ship siled at about noon, since the Captain wanted to get beyond the iceberg danger zone during daylight .

Then the fun began. The sea became rough, with high winds, about 50 knots. It settled down in the later evening. Then in the wee hours this morning the real storm began. Wind at 75-80 knots, waves up to 25 and 30 feet coming abeam from the starboard side, with lots of rolling. I managed to keep the falling and moving items in the suite from breaking and got things padded before daylight. Needless to say, no one had expected such a severe storm.

Lots of broken dishes etc. in La Terrazza this morning, and quite a few people fell. Terrazza was closed for the rest of the day, as was the Panorama lounge. The lecturers managed to talk while seated in a chair on the floor of the show lounge. The cooking contest was cancelled. The ship doctor has been very busy.

We got past the actual storm around noon, and the sun is shining, but the seas are still high with less constant but still impressive rolling. Lunch was only in the restaurant, and dishware was still breaking. At 4 P.M. we still have winds gusting up to 78 knots. I guess this is payback for all the great weather we've had until now.

The Captain announced that we were cancelling tomorrow's port, L'Anse Aux Meadows, at the northern tip of Newfoundland. This was the port we most wanted to visit on this cruise, because of the Viking discoveries and research. Oh, well. The crew and overall cruise are still great. And there is no noise from the boutique reconstruction today, since they can't work in these conditions! Yay!

Glacier in Prince Christian Sound

GlacierPrinceChristianSund2.jpg

Village in Prince Christian Sound

VillageinPCS2.jpg

Iceberg

IcebergPCS7.jpg

Another Iceberg

IcebergPCS11.jpg

Qaqortoq, Greenland

QaqortoqGreenland2.jpg

As mentioned last time, we skipped L'anse Aux Meadows, Newfoundland after the hurricane in the Labrador Current because we probably wouldn't have been able to anchor. Today we are at Corner Brook, Newfoundland, pouring rain and windy for the tours, but getting brighter in the afternoon. And it is now warm, about 72 F. The crew did a terrific job during the big storm, and the overall cruise remains great fun.

Regarding the reconstruction of the boutique: It continues to be noisy intermittently, from mild to severe. The hallway from reception area forward is usually closed off during the day, causing detours, particularly for those living on deck 5. This should end by arrival in Montreal Friday. Today it has been two weeks.

Keep this in mind if you are planning a cruise in the next few months. The Whisper is the first, but the other ships will undergo the same major reconstruction of the boutique, one after the other. The areas of greatest disruption and noise will vary, depending on the deck plan of the ship. I don't know the order, but the young lady running the project for the company doing the construction is leaving the Whisper in Montreal (if finished) and going to the next ship. They will all have this done during cruises. I don't know if this involves the expedition ships.

Thanks Dieter for your on board reports esp liked the iceberg pix above. Thanks also for the boutique renovation plan update. Hope Debbie and you continue to have fun and hope you have calmer seas for the balance of your voyages.

I would think that there would be quit a lot of on board credit being dished out by SS for the boutique fiasco.

These works should be done in a dry dock.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What good is an onboard credit if the boutique is closed?😄

And onboard credit would hardly cut it for me. I can understand the need for urgent repairs as a result of equipment failure,need to paint and varnish the decks, etc.

But it sounds as though this remodeling of the boutique was entirely discretionary. It is for precisely such improvements that ships go into dry dock.

If this is the way Silversea is doing things nowadays, it is disappointing. The Crystal Symphony just emerged from a (nonrevenue producing) dry dock.

How observant!

In reality, 95% of passengers do not care. They accept whatever.

I disagree,

I don't know why 95% of passengers would not care.i would think that it would bother a lot of people that have given their hard earned money for a luxury cruise experience.

On board credits can always be used for good wine,tours and spa pamperings.

Or even (draw deep breath) a small reimbursement as compensation for the discomfort?

It would be interesting to hear from others who may have benefitted in this form. In our experience this has only happened when SS has lost or damaged something. All other occurances have been dealt with by a future cruise credit.

It would be interesting to hear from others who may have benefitted in this form. In our experience this has only happened when SS has lost or damaged something. All other occurances have been dealt with by a future cruise credit.

Guests have lost the opportunity to shop in the boutique and some ladies might well have been damaged by this incident.

On my April voyage on the Wind SS failed to deliver my documents before I departed from home and they had to be sent on which they indeed were in the end.

My TA bagged me $300 obc for the 'inconvenience ' which l happily spent on the internet and for which l was most grateful.

The on board boutiques have never rocked my boat so to speak but l can understand the disruption causing some concern particularly with the noise...and the work should indeed have been carried out in dry dock as many have commented on.

Have we all got to the point though when we look for any sort of compensation from the cruise line if they don't come up to our expectations....but what do l know....I just go with the flow, chill out and relax once I board....and if l may respectfully say this....I think if we are to continue discussing such issues then it should be on another thread and not on this lovely 'live' one that Wellseasoned started which is so enjoyable and interesting.

Sophia :)

I disagree,

I don't know why 95% of passengers would not care.i would think that it would bother a lot of people that have given their hard earned money for a luxury cruise experience.

On board credits can always be used for good wine,tours and spa pamperings.

I don't know why 95% of passengers would not care. Count how many on here cannot figure out why anyone would complain about whatever SS serves up. So many seem happy to "go with the flow." I watch 95% of passengers drinking from carafes of ship's water, just going with the flow.

After my last post we sailed to Havre St. Pierre, Quebec, where it was very cold, but we had a nice tour of a national park on a small island. Then we sailed to Quebec City, where we docked behind the large Holland America Eurodam in the evening. Lovely weather and a nice overnight.

The next day, 9/25, was beautiful. The boutique reconstruction ended and there was an evening cocktail viewing of the result. It is now a large, expensive jewelry store. The previous clothing, T-shirts, sundries are no longer on display, but I think they can be requested on some sort of menu. I don't know the details at this point.

The first cruise ended in Montreal the next day. Beautiful, sunny, warm day. Only 28 remained aboard for the next segment. We were allowed to skip the lifeboat drill because we had done it on the previous leg. This is apparently at the Captain's discretion. Nice dinner at Hot Rocks after sailaway on a lovely, calm evening. Next day, Saturday, 9/27, in Quebec City again, behind the Holland America Veendam. It was sunny and very warm, great day for strolling. What a difference from the previous Saturday's hurricane!

Sunday morning we cruised the Saguenay River fiord, then docked at Saguenay, Quebec with a huge dockside welcome from townspeople, many in pioneer and Indian garb. Sunny, 81 F temperature. Lovely region.

Yesterday, in Baie-Comeau, Quebec it was much colder, upper 40's and windy. Nice town for walking. While visiting a church with wonderful frescoes, the Governor General of Canada and his wife and police entourage appeared for a visit. Today, in Sept-Iles, Quebec, we walked around for a couple of hours in the morning and returned to the terminal to buy some carvings from a local artisan. Along came the Governor General of Canada and entourage, on his way to greet the Captain and officers. He stopped to chat with us and the carver. Very strange. I wonder if we'll see him tomorrow in Gaspe.

The food and crew remain excellent. To Wes and the others who also love the pappardelle with duck ragout, it has continued to be plentiful and very, very good. It has also appeared on the main restaurant menu twice, once as a chef special, and once as a pasta course selection, in addition to its daily availability for dinner in La Terrazza.

Carved watermelon at La Terrazza buffet

CarvedwatermelonTerrazza.jpg

Whisper is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow in Corner Brook, Newfoundland

WhisperandRainbow1.jpg

Monolith near Havre St Pierre, Quebec

MonolithnearHavreStPierreQuebec.jpg

Lighthouse along St Lawrence River

LighthousealongStLawrenceriver.jpg

Montmorency Falls, near Quebec City

MontmorencyFallsQuebec.jpg

Beautiful day and tourist, Quebec City

DebatQuebecCity.jpg

Hi Dieter & Debbie, another delightful Whisper on board report. Your outstanding pix (esp of the falls, and Debbie strolling) complement the joy in your prose/words--thanks for taking the time from your fall cruise(s) to share with us. Also, happy to hear the Duck Ragout remains a tasty treat.

Dieter; Thanks for your reports and pics. Debbie looks great! Hope the rest of the cruise is filled with fair winds and following seas. Miss Lynn and I will be going to San Diego 13-19 Oct for my USNA Class of '57 57th reunion. God I feel old!

Dieter; Thanks for your reports and pics. Debbie looks great! Hope the rest of the cruise is filled with fair winds and following seas. Miss Lynn and I will be going to San Diego 13-19 Oct for my USNA Class of '57 57th reunion. God I feel old!

You have contributed much to this country with your service. Little to feel old a lot to feel pride in your accomplishments. Love San Diego hope you have fun.

The cruise is winding down. Wednesday in Gaspe was lovely. Beautiful day. We took a great tour to Perce, which included a boat trip around Bonaventure Island, which houses a zillion gannets and many seals. Great views of the famous Perce Rock. Thursday we were to anchor at Iles-De-La-Madeleine, but the sea was too rough to allow tendering, so we had to abandon the port. The Crystal Serenity then sailed past us going to the same place but also had to abandon the port. Their economy took a pretty big hit that day.

We sailed on to Sydney, Nova Scotia and had an overnight rather than arriving the next morning. Passengers and crew enjoyed being able to go ashore and enjoy that evening in Sydney. There was a terrific show in the bar that night, with CD Moss Hills and the singers performing with a great deal of enthusiastic audience participation. Lots of dancers! Friday morning the Oceania Regatta was anchored in Sydney. (Maybe our early arrival took their dock spot!) Sydney was lovely, took a leisurely walking tour, found the pleasant boardwalk, etc. Sailed away in the afternoon with the Regatta right behind us. They sailed faster despite quite a bit of pitching in a fairly rough sea.

This morning we docked in Halifax, Nova Scotia, with the Regatta docked right in front of us. New cruise terminal, more big buildings since our last visit nine years ago. Unfortunately, the day is drizzly, with fog and low clouds, though not cold. The Seaport Farmers Market right next to the cruise terminal is great. There is a very nice boardwalk along the shore. We sailed away at 4 P.M. with the Regatta leaving just before us.

Tomorrow is our last day and night aboard, docking in Portland, Maine. Great day for us since our son, his wife, and our granddaughter (!) are coming aboard for a visit. We disembark the following day in Boston.

One new thing: A couple of days ago the screen which appears for internet login changed. It is now a screen that gives you a choice of logging into the internet as usual or watching a pretty large selections of movies, TV series, or news sites on your computer or tablet for free, without going online. However, this is not connected to the television.

Perce Rock, Quebec

PerceRockQuebec.jpg

Seals at Bonaventure Island, Quebec

SealsaBonaventureIslandQuebec.jpg

Farmers Market, Halifax Nova Scotia

FarmersMarketHalifaxNovaScotia.jpg

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Observer, the boutique is now a large, high-end jewelry store, with a few high-end handbags. This is of no interest to me. There is a small rack with a few SS logo items. The previous men's and women's clothing, sundries, and everyday items no longer exist. If you want an over the counter pill, toothpaste or such, you are to ask reception, and they may or may not be able to supply it. This is a work in progress. To me, this is a large waste of space. On my infrequent walks by, I have noticed no one breaking down the doors to purchase.

In terms of compensation, there have been no offers of anything so far. We'll see, but patience has its limits.

Such a waste of space. If they had a better selection of clothing, sundries etc., the store might actually do some business. I marvel that the H.Stern and other stores on board have lasted as long as they have.

Sorry about the compensation. I do hope they don't disappoint.

Thanks for taking us along on your trip. Have a safe and easy trip home.