Statendam - nice ship ?

JanDom

Hi,

we will be on our first cruise with HAL in November with the Noordam.

We are now looking for a cruise in 2015 and got a good one with the Statendam. If we will like HAL in November we think of booking this trip.

We had been on Carnival, NCL , RCCL and Celebrity before, so we know already some ships.

Our question now : How is the Statendam ?

We have never been on an "old" and "small" ship like this before ?

Does anybody have some pictures maybe ?

Because of the high prices of balcony cabins we think of booking an outside cabin on the lower promenade deck - does anybody has a picture of these cabins or can tell us anything about them ? Is it a good choice (because we think it might be like you have a balcony in frront-even if it is not private ;))

Can you open the windows on this deck ?

Looking forward to your help and thank you so much.

Greets from Germany

Janine ;)

I was on the Statendam and found it in wonderful condition. The ship is being transferred to P&O Australia late next year but it is a great ship while in the HAL fleet. There are pictures of the Statendam at http://halfacts.com

Since you mentioned Lower Promenade deck OV, some of the cabins there have views limited by some bulkheads and lifesaving equipment. I've put up a series of pictures from these cabins here:

http://limitedviewcabins.wordpress.com/s-class/statendam/

I don't think any cruise ship cabin windows open since the advent of air conditioning and the ones on the Statendam don't. The Statendam has very generous public deck spaces and there is never a shortage of places to get a view and to relax.

The smaller ships are intimate and easy to get around, but have fewer venues than the big ones. I prefer smaller, but there are advantages to both. I think you should try it and compare for yourself.

Roy

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade Deck are in an ideal location if you choose one forward of the mid-ship door to outside, or aft of the aft elevators. The area in between is under the galley, and can be noisy during the night.

Getting to the great outdoors is easy, but try not to take a cabin nxt to the outside doors. Sometimes those doors slam. The second cabin down is fine.

Be aware, though, that the outsides on Lower Promenade are somewhat smaller than the outside cabins on the decks below.

Also, in any of the outsides, if the beds have been configured as one king, then that bed is directly in front of the window. If the beds are split the two nightstands are in front of the window, and it is easier to see out.

Sounds good:)

Normally we are booking balcony cabins.

This ship Class only have outside cabins and suites.

Because the suites will be to expensive for us, we thought of using the lower Promenade as a balcony

So the pictures are great! Thank you Roy!! That was lots of work!

Makes it much easier to choose one!

We were in Alaska in 2013 before and we loved our balcony, and used it more then on every other cruise before! But we do not want to go the typical Route all the other Ships go!

Gretes

Janine

We have cruised on the Lower Promenade deck on the Ryndam, which is configured just like the Statendam, I think. We were in cabin 362 on an Alaska cruise/tour ( best cruise ever! Best ship ever!) and loved that cabin and location.

Every time someone shouted "Whales!!" out on the deck, we were out there in only a few seconds. As you said, it was the next best thing to having our own balcony. We were the first door around the corner from the doors to the deck, but I do not remember ever hearing the doors slam as people went in and out. As RuthC mentioned, you may want to try the second cabin in, just to be sure.

My advice on the cruise, "Book it!!" (Or find a cruise you'd like on the Ryndam.) Both of these ships will soon be gone from HAL's fleet.:(

Roy, Those are great pictures of the views from the lower promenade deck cabins. Very helpful in choosing a cabin.

We were on the Statendam last Oct. The ship was in very good condition, especially for its age. It is one of the smaller HAL ships and therefore lacks a few of the features that the larger ones have (such as a large hydro spa). It also does not have a mid-ship elevator/stairs, which means more walking I have found.

Our cabin was on Navigation deck, just a bit aft of the Neptune Lounge. (more or less midship). We experienced a vibration for the entire cruise which was quite annoying after awhile. They claimed it was due to having to run an extra engine due to the weather, but even after the seas calmed and we were running ahead of schedule (long story), the vibration continued. Now, only a few other cabins reported this vibration (that I know of), but be advised.

Also, I would hesitate to book any ship that is being sold to another line just before the sale goes though. I would be afraid of "deferred maintenance" on some items. I know thats what happens in the supermarket business when stores are being sold.

I love sailing on HAL, but I would select another ship IMO.

DaveOKC

Such a Great Ship! This coming January will be our 5th sailing aboard Statendam. We have loved each and every voyage. As Ruth C stated, it can be quite noise under the galley area. We were on the Port side on a 29 day this past April and the galley noise was horrendous. The Hotel Director immediately took actions to quiet down the noise by installing carpeting in the galley areas directly over the cabins. That helped tremendously! We have enjoyed Statendam so much. It will be somewhat sad to know this most likely will be our last trip aboard her.:):(:)

I was on Statendam as recently as this last July. Other than a few trivial things like a spec of rust here and there and some windows that needed replacement I thought it was in near-pristine condition. No issues whatsoever with HVAC, plumbing, and soft furnishings in nice condition, etc.

Such a Great Ship! T We have enjoyed Statendam so much. It will be somewhat sad to know this most likely will be our last trip aboard her.:):(:)

We have had several cruises on The Statendam, I always say it's my favourite"dam"ship. Hoping to have one more cruise before she leaves the fleet.

Have a look at the video links below as these will provide you with a tour of the ship.

Statendam & Westerdam have just won the 100% cleanest ships in the fleet last week

Regards

Bellair

Hi,

we will be on our first cruise with HAL in November with the Noordam.

We are now looking for a cruise in 2015 and got a good one with the Statendam. If we will like HAL in November we think of booking this trip.

We had been on Carnival, NCL , RCCL and Celebrity before, so we know already some ships.

Our question now : How is the Statendam ?

We have never been on an "old" and "small" ship like this before ?

Does anybody have some pictures maybe ?

Because of the high prices of balcony cabins we think of booking an outside cabin on the lower promenade deck - does anybody has a picture of these cabins or can tell us anything about them ? Is it a good choice (because we think it might be like you have a balcony in frront-even if it is not private ;))

Can you open the windows on this deck ?

Looking forward to your help and thank you so much.

Greets from Germany

Janine ;)

Hi Bellair,

Nice Videos, thank you!

It seems that everybody loves the Statendam ;)

I don't mind that the ship does not have all the attractions a bigger ship would have because if we are going to Alaska we will spent most of the Time looking outside for the Wildlife and the beautiful nature. This is why we go there :)

Did anybody had the Feeling that it is crowded on the ship?

And can somebody tell me anything about the aft cabins on the lower Promenade Deck?

They Look a little bit bigger then the other...

Can you hear the Dining room above or something?

Thank you all :x

We love the cabins 220 and 205 on these ships. The balcony

is much larger but the cabin are the same. Some people do not like the

fact that the outside door is right out the cabin but we have not found

this to be a noise problem. The aft deck is perfect for shade after sometime

up at the pool area. I love that we can leave our room go out the door and

up one flight of stairs to the pool!

I have not heard any excessive noise from the dining room and this class of

ship never has a crowded feeling. We are going on the 34 day Hawaii/Tahiti next April

and I am counting the days already!

The Statendam was our first cruise experience. We were Alaska at the end of the season and had horrible weather, only one port, a cruise many would hate. So, you can see we were more ship dominated than most cruises. We loved that cruise because the crew was amazing! We've never had such a great experience since. If you were going to be noticing bad things about a ship, that would have been the time to so. We were in an ocean view on the main deck and we loved it. Granted, we had waves crash against our window at times, but so did folks in verandah suites and they got water seeping into the rooms. Enjoy the old and "best" dam ship while you can!

We did the 35 day Hawaii Tahiti cruise on the Statendam last oct. This was our sixth HAL cruise. She is a lovely ship, well kept with a wonderful crew, I like the size of these ships! The only problem is that our cabin was under the promenade deck, we had one heavy walker at 06.15 hr every morning... Free cabin upgrade! Will not do this again...

We were on the Statendam in Nov/Dec of last year and found it to be in great shape, with an outstanding crew. One of the best cruises we have been on.

We were on her for 14 days this past June/July. She is in very good shape with a few small nicks here and there. The carpets and furniture were not showing much wear. The crew were one the best as was the food. And for once the women's public toilets didn't smell.

I am booked in a guarantee OV in H and hope that I will be upgraded but stay on the Lower Promenade deck.

The photos are incredibly helpful.

Coming over in the Spring I was given a partially obstructed view balcony on the Silhouette and thought it would be ok. It wasn't.

We saw nothing but orange tender roofs below our balcony and it really did spoil the ambiance. This was 6245, C2 category. For the first two days the cabin sounded like there was a jet engine in the A/C ducts.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who mentioned specific things about the S class OV cabins.

I did the cabin crawl on the '13 westbound and can say that EE 389 and EE390 are huge and right by the doors to the promenade deck and are designated H cabins.

Cheers,

Susan M.

• 1 month later...
We love the cabins 220 and 205 on these ships. The balcony

is much larger but the cabin are the same. Some people do not like the

fact that the outside door is right out the cabin but we have not found

this to be a noise problem. The aft deck is perfect for shade after sometime

up at the pool area. I love that we can leave our room go out the door and

up one flight of stairs to the pool!

I have not heard any excessive noise from the dining room and this class of

ship never has a crowded feeling. We are going on the 34 day Hawaii/Tahiti next April

and I am counting the days already!

Is this rooms veranda large enough for a chase lounge?

• 4 weeks later...

We are still thinking of booking the Statendam.

Can anybody say something about the aft cabins on lower Promenade deck

No 418 - 421?

Is it noisy there?

It seems like there are stairs ... Where are they going?

Looking forward to all answers :)

Janine

We were on the Statendam 10/3 thru 11/2 of this year. There were many issues ship-wide with toilets overflowing or just not working at all in cabins and public areas. Our toilet overflowed 5 times. 2 of those times we were not even in the cabin!

We were on the Statendam 10/3 thru 11/2 of this year. There were many issues ship-wide with toilets overflowing or just not working at all in cabins and public areas. Our toilet overflowed 5 times. 2 of those times we were not even in the cabin!

@Momis2

How was the staff on the ship ?

Would you go with the Statendam again, even you had the issues ?

Thanks

I can't speak for the poster who had the problems, but I would never recommend or return to a ship where I had this kind of toilet problem. Or book a ship with a history of such problems either. Older ships with maintenance problems are a disaster waiting to happen, IMHO. :(

@Momis2

How was the staff on the ship ?

Would you go with the Statendam again, even you had the issues ?

Thanks

Staff on the ship were excellent. The friendliest and most helpful I have ever encountered. I don't think that I would sail the Statendam again only because the plumbing issues did seem to be something that needed major repair.