we saw this on Freedom last week

belle19

sorry I hadn't used a photo here before, it was last Tuesday between coco quay and san juan. we were just coming out of some rain and it appeared, seemed to last at least 5 minutes, it was off the port side. the water sparkled under it and it looked very cool

Waterspouts are pretty common but we've never seen one, which I'm fine with. They're tornadoes and just as dangerous as the ones on land.

At least from what I have read, they TEND to be not as dangerous. Most of them break up easy if they contact anything solid.

As an avid boater and fisherman in the Florida Keys, I(we) have seen many, one or two close up. Me to wife, get the camera a once in a life time experience, NO NO, I'm not getting out of the cabin LOL. A speedy boat can easily avoid one.

On our last months cruise on the Freedom, a lot of water spouts occurred as we were getting to leave, Grand Cayman, some one on the ship actually used the intercom to tell cruisers it was there. I do believe they actually held the ships departure/position until the storm died away.

Edited by north29