Superbowl Sunday on HAL

acl12345

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year for the Superbowl. It was shown in the theatre and they had food and drinks representative of each team. Was a lot of fun!

Thanks for your quick response. I don't suppose there's a prayer of a chance we can get it in the room. A few years age we cruised out of New York and the Jets were playing the Patriots (who lost) but there was a VERY pro New York crowd. We are from MA and rooting for the Patriots but were concerned about the anti-Pats slant. We were actually able to get the butler to fiddle with the back of the in room tv and get the game in the room. Nice to avoid the jeers and catcalls during the game.................

We are on a South Pacific cruise in 2008 with the Super Bowl. It was telecast in the showroom with food and drinks plus a raffle. At the beginning of each quarter two tickets were drawn that entitled you for one quarter a box seat in the middle of the showroom and all the beer you could drink in the quarter.

A young man on our cruise, who I called "bucket boy" because every time I saw him he had a bucket of five beers, won the raffle, and downed 10 beers in a quarter of the game without a bathroom break :eek:!

We were on the Oosterdam during the AFC & NFC playoffs. There were definitely fans of each team in the Queen's Lounge where the game was being shown. There was definitely cheering, but it was very civil. Your average HAL cruiser isn't the type of person who gets in fights in stadium parking lots.

Thanks for your quick response. I don't suppose there's a prayer of a chance we can get it in the room. A few years age we cruised out of New York and the Jets were playing the Patriots (who lost) but there was a VERY pro New York crowd. We are from MA and rooting for the Patriots but were concerned about the anti-Pats slant. We were actually able to get the butler to fiddle with the back of the in room tv and get the game in the room. Nice to avoid the jeers and catcalls during the game.................

HAL makes Super Bowl Sunday very fun! We sailed several times and were aboard one of the times the Patriots played. We had great time.

Assuming the ship is able to pull down the satellite signal, the game will be shown in public area (CrowsNest or Queen's Lounge usually - though it could be main show lounge) and on all cabin TV's. :)

We were on the Oosterdam during the AFC & NFC playoffs. There were definitely fans of each team in the Queen's Lounge where the game was being shown. There was definitely cheering, but it was very civil. Your average HAL cruiser isn't the type of person who gets in fights in stadium parking lots.

True. A few cruises back, we sat at dinner with a couple from Texas. They were Cowboys fans, we're Giants all the way. AND it was October, so the season was in full swing. But we were able to discuss football calmly and rationally. Of course, it helped that neither team was looking stellar, so we could commiserate. Plus, we bonded over mutual dislike of the Redskins...

Sounds like it will be a memorable cruise for us!

This past January, we were on the Noordam 11 day caribbean itinerary on Super Bowl Sunday. We viewed it on a big screen TV in the show lounge. The seating had each team's colors of ballons. Each team had it's own half of the seating. Snacks were what you would serve in your home when watching the game. You could rent recliner chairs right in the front and I believe it included beverages. It was pricey for those and not very many people rented them. HAL did a great job. I don't know if it was broadcast on the cabin TV.

Diane

Don't put Yankee and Red Sox fans at the same dinner table!!! :D

Or for that matter New England Patriots and Giants!

We Bostonians are rabid sports fans....

Will it make you feel better if I say that, although we are GIANTS fans, we are not Yankees fans. DH is one of those people who roots for "the Red Sox and however is playing the Yankees."

We have often watched football with friends who root for a great variety of teams, and we all manage to cheer for our own teams but not jeer the opposition. I hope we have a kinder, gentler crowd for our Superbowl at sea.

This past January, we were on the Noordam 11 day caribbean itinerary on Super Bowl Sunday. We viewed it on a big screen TV in the show lounge. The seating had each team's colors of ballons. Each team had it's own half of the seating. Snacks were what you would serve in your home when watching the game. You could rent recliner chairs right in the front and I believe it included beverages. It was pricey for those and not very many people rented them. HAL did a great job. I don't know if it was broadcast on the cabin TV.

Diane

Recliners???? Oh, boy, there goes our OBC!!!!!!!

Will it make you feel better if I say that, although we are GIANTS fans, we are not Yankees fans. DH is one of those people who roots for "the Red Sox and however is playing the Yankees."

We have often watched football with friends who root for a great variety of teams, and we all manage to cheer for our own teams but not jeer the opposition. I hope we have a kinder, gentler crowd for our Superbowl at sea.

Same as Politics. :)

We can vote for one party or the other and certainly remain friends and friendly with those who vote otherwise.

I should have inserted a few emoticons to indicate my post was in jest. :)....... (sort of)

You DH is a very discerning man. :D :cool:

Don't put Yankee and Red Sox fans at the same dinner table!!! :D

Or for that matter New England Patriots and Giants!

We Bostonians are rabid sports fans....

Well this Yankee fan would love to share a dinner table with you anytime. :)

A tad off topic....Did you decide to go on the cruise with your friends ?

Well this Yankee fan would love to share a dinner table with you anytime. :)

A tad off topic....Did you decide to go on the cruise with your friends ?

Thanks. It would be my pleasure to have the opportunity to meet aboard a 'dam' ship. :) I hope for the chance.

I had to decline the invitation to sail with my friends on NCL as the dates weren't working for us but there is a strong chance I will be sailing HAL with two other couples. :) I am so fortunate to have such wonderful friends who are including me in their plans. That cruise probably would be a good choice for me as my 'first'. Thanks for asking.

Thanks. It would be my pleasure to have the opportunity to meet aboard a 'dam' ship. :) I hope for the chance.

I had to decline the invitation to sail with my friends on NCL as the dates weren't working for us but there is a strong chance I will be sailing HAL with two other couples. :) I am so fortunate to have such wonderful friends who are including me in their plans. That cruise probably would be a good choice for me as my 'first'. Thanks for asking.

Glad to hear you are still planning a cruise . My Mom's friends were so good to her after my dad passed . They really got her out and going again.

My sisters and I did everything we could, and kept her busy. But it was really good for her to be out with "her crowd ".

• 4 months later...

Bringing this thread back rather than start a new one. Just realized that we will be on the Zaandam for Super Bowl Sunday. Oops. Well we really would not change plans, but we do enjoy the game.

We will be just leaving Puerto Montt, Chile. Does anyone have any previous experience watching the Super Bowl onboard in that part of the world?

Thanks-

Sue