Captain's Circle change?

DandDM

Had just become Elite - with cruise days not cruises. Was looking forward to our first cruise with all the perks .... and .... they cancelled the cruise (Sea Princess). At least it was after boarding, so we got the free mini bar (lol) Had to book another cruise to enjoy my elite status!

Had just become Elite - with cruise days not cruises. Was looking forward to our first cruise with all the perks .... and .... they cancelled the cruise (Sea Princess). At least it was after boarding, so we got the free mini bar (lol) Had to book another cruise to enjoy my elite status!

That really was a shame.

I'm confused. Would getting a better table be more likely for an Elite if that Elite had 35 cruises and 500 days? If the Elite with 15 cruises and 20 days gets a better table that is a problem how? Would it be an issue if they both got better tables? Longer cruises=better people? Again I say, the loyalty program is a business device, a marketing tool, one Princess can do with as they like. It's not a moral issue. (I guess it's no wonder some people complain about "card-waving entitled Elites.")

Regarding better tables: I do believe there was a time that going to the Maître D and providing your cruise card (upon his request) that an Elite Card held "some clout". Much like, I would assume having SUITE stamped on your card holds "some clout". Why is that considered to be entitled "Card waiving Elite" behavior? Again, there are only a finite number of "better tables", much like there is a finite number of suites on any cruise. BUT if the ship is full of Elite passengers, now you're just one of the masses (because the masses are all Elites). I don't want to get into the "card-waiving entitled Elite" issue as it is really a different animal then this thread is discussing.

Tammy

I don't want to get into the "card-waiving entitled Elite" issue as it is really a different animal then this thread is discussing.

I wasn't clear in what I was asking, evidently. I will try to rephrase...

It was sometimes a perk for getting a better table. Now how do they know looking at someone's black card weather they have 15 cruises and 20 sailing days or if they are like my Dad with 35 cruises and over 500 days (one cruise being the World).

What difference does it make if the Elite passenger has 20 days or 500 days? If they are both Elite, aren't they both eligible for any possible "better table"? Do you mean that the 500 days passenger is more "deserving" of the table than the 20 days passenger? If so, why?

What difference does it make if the Elite passenger has 20 days or 500 days? If they are both Elite, aren't they both eligible for any possible "better table"? Do you mean that the 500 days passenger is more "deserving" of the table than the 20 days passenger? If so, why?

Or is an Elite in a suite more deserving than an Elite in an inside?;)

Mike:)

Regarding better tables: I do believe there was a time that going to the Maître D and providing your cruise card (upon his request) that an Elite Card held "some clout".

I find an elite card to have zero value in these situations.

It is much better to have the maitre d' remember you by name

from a previous cruise.

I knew better then to jump into this debate (I should listen to DH more - he could not care less about any of this). So I will try to bow out with some humor, rather then engage in this tit for tat. As mentioned so many times above, this whole "get to Elite faster" campaign from Princess is nothing but a marketing ploy. They obviously do not care what is "Fair" to those of us who fell for their original marketing ploy when they created the current tiers. By naming the top tier Elite instead of lets say, oh I don't know, how about Dregs?

Miriam-Webster definitions:

#2 Elite - The highest class in a society

#2 Dregs - The most undesirable

So with that I will say.

Happy Sailing Everybody!

Tammy

As mentioned so many times above, this whole "get to Elite faster" campaign from Princess is nothing but a marketing ploy. They obviously do not care what is "Fair" to those of us who fell for their original marketing ploy when they created the current tiers. By naming the top tier Elite instead of lets say, oh I don't know, how about Dregs?

That is a fair point. By calling the level "Elite," they suggest something of a higher class of people not just the top level of a marketing campaign. Possibly they should have chosen a word less loaded with intonations of class and snobbery. We have now Blue, Gold, Ruby, Platinum, and Elite. In keeping with the theme, perhaps it should be Sapphire, Gold, Ruby, Platinum and Diamond (or Blue, Yellow, Red, Gray and Dark Gray with Black Stripe.) :)

I knew better then to jump into this debate (I should listen to DH more - he could not care less about any of this). So I will try to bow out with some humor, rather then engage in this tit for tat. As mentioned so many times above, this whole "get to Elite faster" campaign from Princess is nothing but a marketing ploy. They obviously do not care what is "Fair" to those of us who fell for their original marketing ploy when they created the current tiers. By naming the top tier Elite instead of lets say, oh I don't know, how about Dregs?

Miriam-Webster definitions:

#2 Elite - The highest class in a society

#2 Dregs - The most undesirable

So with that I will say.

Happy Sailing Everybody!

Tammy

Should have used than.. :p

Edited by Kenswing

That is a fair point. By calling the level "Elite," they suggest something of a higher class of people not just the top level of a marketing campaign. Possibly they should have chosen a word less loaded with intonations of class and snobbery. We have now Blue, Gold, Ruby, Platinum, and Elite. In keeping with the theme, perhaps it should be Sapphire, Gold, Ruby, Platinum and Diamond (or Blue, Yellow, Red, Gray and Dark Gray with Black Stripe.) :)

I really LIKE that suggestion! Of course you will need to come up with some sort of name for it as Elite really leaves nowhere to go. I have no problem giving the "extra elite" or "ultra elite" or whatever extra perks. By calling the current top tier "Elite" they have shot themselves in the foot.

As I said before, Ruby is kind of weird. I think something for the folks with an incredible number of days with Princess are far more deserving of recognition and additional perks.

I really LIKE that suggestion! Of course you will need to come up with some sort of name for it as Elite really leaves nowhere to go. I have no problem giving the "extra elite" or "ultra elite" or whatever extra perks. By calling the current top tier "Elite" they have shot themselves in the foot.

Elitist

Celebrity evidently had the same problem, and came up with two "higher" categories - Elite+ and Zenith. It would be nice if Princess could come up with a more neutral name than Elite. Diamond, like RCCL uses, comes to mind.

If they want to add new levels why not revamp all the names and tie them to ships in the fleet

Sapphire (blue)

Coral (gold)

Ruby (Ruby)

Emerald (platinum)

Golden (elite)

Diamond (new tier for 301 days and up)

Royal Circle (milestone levels - 500/1000/1500/2000 days, etc)

Go to a day's sailed system with a 25% bonus for mini suites and 75% bonus for full suites. Solo travelers paying full double occupancy would receive double credit of base days plus mini/suite bonus.

Grandfather in anyone who has currently reached a level and allow 12-15 months for folks to still qualify for the next tier level by cruise points before a hard cutover to days only.

Keep all current tier benefits and enhance the program. Maybe add 30 minutes Internet for Ruby, 60 for Emerald for voyages up to 10 days (60/90 for voyages longer than 10 days). 10% Shop discount for Emerald. 10% discount on shore excursions or spa treatments for Diamond. Complimentary happy hour for Diamond.

What other amenities could we come up with?

Edited by scottamiller

What other amenities could we come up with?

As long as you asked for the really top tiers say around someone with > 750 days or more;

• Special lounge with 2 drinks included each night.
  • Priority tender back to the ship.
  • Breakfast in Sabatini's for the whole cruise.
  • Reserved seating in the Show lounge.
  • Additional internet minutes.
  • Reserved seating at the Repeaters party with a waiter proving special drinks that would be ordered on the spot.
  • Priority disembarkation on the last day.
  • Visit to the bridge or control room without having to book the tour.
  • Room amenities like they used to provide & still do to the full suites with full size soaps.
  • A complementary dinner at Sabatini's or Crown grill.
  • A complementary photo of your choosing instead of throwing them in the garbage.

As I said before, Ruby is kind of weird. I think something for the folks with an incredible number of days with Princess are far more deserving of recognition and additional perks.

Elite Plus?

Other than the dress code on formal nights, does anything attract more posts then changes to the Captains Circle?:)

OK, lets exclude the Royal and the Regal.

Let's don't forget alcohol and tipping; but those usually end up getting locked.;)

Mike:)

I really don't think that Princess will introduce a Super Elite category until it chooses to downgrade perks for current Elites. There's no other reason to have a Super Elite category; clearly, those people are hooked. For optics, I can see them adding some minor additional perk to the Super Elite perks (i.e. dining preference) for the Supers but believe that the offset (and savings to Princess) will be reductions in perks for Elites.

And I believe that, if/when a Super Elite category is introduced, it will be based solely on days. I used to think it would be 500 days but there are far too many passengers who would qualify for that, too. Perhaps 750 or 1000 days.

I really don't think that Princess will introduce a Super Elite category until it chooses to downgrade perks for current Elites. There's no other reason to have a Super Elite category; clearly, those people are hooked. For optics, I can see them adding some minor additional perk to the Super Elite perks (i.e. dining preference) for the Supers but believe that the offset (and savings to Princess) will be reductions in perks for Elites.

And I believe that, if/when a Super Elite category is introduced, it will be based solely on days. I used to think it would be 500 days but there are far too many passengers who would qualify for that, too. Perhaps 750 or 1000 days.

They could set the bar high enough (say 750 or 1,000 days) that anything it could possible cost the cruise line for such a very small group of Super Elites would hardly make a difference in their bottom line. I can't envision a very large group of people possibly falling into that group. There are also many perks that don't cost a penny but would attract many people to strive to attain the level - just because it's there. Isn't that the main reason they created the new Ruby level?

Give me a carrot any day.