Captain's Circle change?

DandDM

[quote name='Ethel5']I agree with you 110%. It is great that there are those who can afford suites, but that doesn't mean that those who can only afford insides are any less loyal. I think the only fair way is to go by days alone and nothing else. Princess has it's reasons for giving away cheap, short cruises but they need to keep in mind that the loyal Elites they already have got there the "hard" way. We are not liking 5 day turnaround for laundry and long lines for tenders etc. A new level must be implemented and soon.[/quote]

Getting to elite the hard way by cruising more? I don't know if you call that statement an oxymoron or a first world problem. I guess it's both.

Are you suggesting that they create a new level and remove the laundry and tender perks from elite and add it to the new level? That's the only way to thin out the herd. Also if you book an excursion through Princess don't they board those passengers before elites who are taking private tours? Edited by Iamcruzin

[quote name='DandDM']The post is on the roll call for the Sept 20 golden sailing; I went back and re-read: "I heard from a reliable source that they have a friend who works for princess head office."

I feel silly for my original post now!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't feel silly, its a valid question.

Other cruiselines (including Carnival) have switched to nights sailed instead of cruises sailed for their loyalty program, its very likely to come over to Princess at some point.

They could be encouraging people to get to their next level before the switch. I would like to think that they won't downgrade people from their existing level, but I don't know.

It won't affect us much, we're firmly in the middle of Platinum and don't take the short cruises because its too expensive to fly to a port for the sake of a couple of days at sea. We tried a 4/5 day B2B cruise and didn't like it. We'll stick with longer itineraries. Edited by FawnRiver
correcting myself

[quote name='Iamcruzin']Getting to elite the hard way by cruising more? I don't know if you call that statement an oxymoron or a first world problem. I guess it's both.

Are you suggesting that they create a new level and remove the laundry and tender perks from elite and add it to the new level? That's the only way to thin out the herd. Also if you book an excursion through Princess don't they board those passengers before elites who are taking private tours?[/QUOTE]
With the exception of the Grand Princess around South America last year, we have never had a problem getting on the first tender as Elites on our own.

[quote name='paul929207']With the exception of the Grand Princess around South America last year, we have never had a problem getting on the first tender as Elites on our own.[/quote]
I guess you're the exception because it seems to be a problem for everyone else.

[quote name='Iamcruzin']Getting to elite the hard way by cruising more? I don't know if you call that statement an oxymoron or a first world problem. I guess it's both.

Are you suggesting that they create a new level and remove the laundry and tender perks from elite and add it to the new level? That's the only way to thin out the herd. Also if you book an excursion through Princess don't they board those passengers before elites who are taking private tours?[/QUOTE]

If you have been following the numerous threads regarding reaching Elite, you would get the reference to doing it the "hard" way-by days only. I am not suggesting taking away the present Elite benefits. I am suggesting that Princess stop making it so easy to reach Elite and thereby diluting the benefits-IE: long lines, 4-5 day turn around days for laundry etc. By doing days only, it would eliminate this. Princess can't "thin out" the existing herd nor take away the present benefits but they can slow down the Elite growth by counting days only. There also needs to be another level above the present Elite so we have something to shoot for.

If you have been following the numerous threads regarding reaching Elite, you would get the reference to doing it the "hard" way-by days only. I am not suggesting taking away the present Elite benefits. I am suggesting that Princess stop making it so easy to reach Elite and thereby diluting the benefits-IE: long lines, 4-5 day turn around days for laundry etc. By doing days only, it would eliminate this. Princess can't "thin out" the existing herd nor take away the present benefits but they can slow down the Elite growth by counting days only. There also needs to be another level above the present Elite so we have something to shoot for.

It seems to me that we are all part of CC because we all enjoy cruising no matter what our status in the captain circle is so whether they count days or sailings it doesn't matter either way to me. Personally I don't see the point of adding another level just because elites are board and don't have anything to shoot for. It's not like anyone is leaving to start over at the bottom on another cruise line's program. I don't buy into this or any other program because it limits my choices. Princess has the best program in my opinion but by the time I make elite even with sailings and or days they will probably change the program and I'm sure it won't be to my benefit.

I don't live close enough to port where these short sailings depart and the b2b sailings that consist of 9 days with two stops in Fort Lauderdale are as dull as dishwater. My college days are long gone along with my desire to spend time on the strip of FT Lauderdale.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading, I think it was on the Royal's TA last year that there were elites who were sending laundry out for other passengers. Maybe Princess needs to look into this issue. As long as they continue to have self service laundry I'm fine with not making it to elite and I would purchase the drink package so a bar set up and the captain circle party with free drinks would mean nothing as well.

I don't usually jump into these threads, but sorry I agree with Ethel. DH and I are prime examples of getting Elite the "hard way". Began cruising trying different lines multiple times. Became "loyal" to Princess and cruised once or twice a year (during our working days) starting with 7 day Caribbean, then btb, then 10 day French Polynesia, 12 day Europe, etc etc. Booking a mix of cabins, from insides to mini-suites also taking a whole lotta Princess Tours, as well as doing things on our own. I imagine if I had all of my ship accounts I would cry at the amount of money spent on those cruises.

We retired and boarded the Sapphire Princess for a 28 day F.P. cruise (2012) with exactly 147 days and 14 cruises. Free laundry would have been nice on that one.

Many of our cruises were taken with my parents. I was always impressed with how much clout my parents black card seemed to have and enjoyed looking at their menus and photos they would bring back from the MTP luncheons. Well, now due to "ATTRITION" (REALLY), I am the one going to those luncheons with Dad. But at least when I do, I can hold my own in a conversation and talk about my travels, far more then btb Ensenada.

to be continued

So yes, I am somewhat passionate about this thread. I have not seen the swarm of Elites yet personally. I imagine I will on the Ruby 49 days, S.A. in January. However, I would also expect that most of those Elites earned it the "hard way".

Interestingly enough, DH and I will be taking our first 4 night ever, on the Golden in November. Going to L.A. for family reasons and said sure, "why not" at these prices - DH always wanted to go to Catalina. I can assure you, that if the tender process is swamped with masses of people waiving their black cards or the Elite Lounge is a joke, I WILL be writing a letter to Princess on this issue (I have NEVER written a letter to Princess).

Oh well, my two cents. Princess if you are listening, current system is just not fair!

Tammy

I am not elite but have stayed 2x in a suite so got the tender tickets. Never had a problem although was not trying for the first tender. One time they never even took our tender tickets. We just walked on through!

As for the elite/suite lounge.. We did not go on our first cruise but did go a couple of times on our second one. Was not crowded at all.

The elite/suite lounge is the cocktail hour.

Edited by dickinson

It seems to me that we are all part of CC because we all enjoy cruising no matter what our status in the captain circle is so whether they count days or sailings it doesn't matter either way to me. Personally I don't see the point of adding another level just because elites are board and don't have anything to shoot for. It's not like anyone is leaving to start over at the bottom on another cruise line's program. I don't buy into this or any other program because it limits my choices. Princess has the best program in my opinion but by the time I make elite even with sailings and or days they will probably change the program and I'm sure it won't be to my benefit.

I don't live close enough to port where these short sailings depart and the b2b sailings that consist of 9 days with two stops in Fort Lauderdale are as dull as dishwater. My college days are long gone along with my desire to spend time on the strip of FT Lauderdale.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading, I think it was on the Royal's TA last year that there were elites who were sending laundry out for other passengers. Maybe Princess needs to look into this issue. As long as they continue to have self service laundry I'm fine with not making it to elite and I would purchase the drink package so a bar set up and the captain circle party with free drinks would mean nothing as well.

Mike,

There has always been speculation that some people bend the rules on the free laundry (and just about any other perk). As I understand it, Princess will do the laundry at no charge if the person whose name is on the bag is Elite. So if one person in a cabin and the other is not, they can put both passengers laundry in the bag and put the Elite person;s name on it. No one objects even if some or even all of the laundry could not belong to the Elite member.

Probably some take it a step further and include laundry for other non-Elites in different cabins.

At one time the internet benefit for Platinum, Elite and Suite passengers was unlimited. Later it was cut back to the current benefit for Platinum and Elite and eliminated for suites. There were rumors at the time that certain passengers were selling their free internet access.

Oh well, my two cents. Princess if you are listening, current system is just not fair!

"Fair" isn't part of the equation, at least for Princess. The loyalty program is their way of selling more cruises. They have found, apparently, that it is easy to sell some shorter cruises (alone or as B2B) than some longer ones. They use the loyalty program as part of their advertising for these shorter cruises: get to Elite faster! It's a business decision on their part and not a moral one designed to punish the faithful and reward the wicked. :rolleyes:

Whether there are too many Elites on a given voyage is another question, of course.

"Fair" isn't part of the equation, at least for Princess. The loyalty program is their way of selling more cruises. They have found, apparently, that it is easy to sell some shorter cruises (alone or as B2B) than some longer ones. They use the loyalty program as part of their advertising for these shorter cruises: get to Elite faster! It's a business decision on their part and not a moral one designed to punish the faithful and reward the wicked. :rolleyes:

Whether there are too many Elites on a given voyage is another question, of course.

Precisely. It is a marketing program for Princess.

And will probably remain that way on the long Regal and Royal cruises. Current wait for laundry is 4 days aboard the Royal.

Have you heard from anyone like Pam how many elites are on the current TA? Taking 4 days may mean there are close to the 1200+ we had last October. We're sailing the Regal's TA in April & hoping the laundry delays are back to the routine day or two.

Her cruise sailed showing all categories of cabin were available unlike our sold out cruise with you.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Sorry, I don't know how to copy the quotes (and I'm not old). The whole thing is becoming a joke. It's not just about tender tickets and elite lounge. My point was, it was a perk and something to look forward to. Just like the suites have their own advantages, that I never begrudged them. There is the "perk" of a special line at the pursers desk only for Elite and Suites. Never had a problem there, limited number of elites and suite passengers. How is it a perk anymore if the line is just as long as the regular (much like "priority boarding" has become almost a joke).

It was sometimes a perk for getting a better table. Now how do they know looking at someone's black card weather they have 15 cruises and 20 sailing days or if they are like my Dad with 35 cruises and over 500 days (one cruise being the World).

The only thing to really look forward to is the MTP luncheon and sometimes he might not even make that cut (too bad he can't add his 500 days with Holland). Not even to mention the laundry and internet anymore.

Tammy

Sorry, I don't know how to copy the quotes (and I'm not old). The whole thing is becoming a joke. It's not just about tender tickets and elite lounge. My point was, it was a perk and something to look forward to. Just like the suites have their own advantages, that I never begrudged them. There is the "perk" of a special line at the pursers desk only for Elite and Suites. Never had a problem there, limited number of elites and suite passengers. How is it a perk anymore if the line is just as long as the regular (much like "priority boarding" has become almost a joke).

It was sometimes a perk for getting a better table. Now how do they know looking at someone's black card weather they have 15 cruises and 20 sailing days or if they are like my Dad with 35 cruises and over 500 days (one cruise being the World).

The only thing to really look forward to is the MTP luncheon and sometimes he might not even make that cut (too bad he can't add his 500 days with Holland). Not even to mention the laundry and internet anymore.

Tammy

Don't forget about those speedy lines at pass services desk. :D

Kidding aside we did have one Capt Circle host on the Coral that made us feel special. He went out of his way to provide services that Platinum's or Elites seldom see and we didn't request it. Maybe it was his way of giving us special treatment for having lots of days even though the cruise line doesn't much care. An Elite is an Elite, no matter how many days they have and just another customer.

Have you heard from anyone like Pam how many elites are on the current TA? Taking 4 days may mean there are close to the 1200+ we had last October. We're sailing the Regal's TA in April & hoping the laundry delays are back to the routine day or two.

Her cruise sailed showing all categories of cabin were available unlike our sold out cruise with you.

It's Gloria I'm getting this information from, not Pam. But anyway, the internet is awful and so is the laundry. I only know several hundred elites, but not the actual numbers.

Last October? Yep. Crazy amount of elites. And it did take three to four days to get our stuff.

Tammy

At the bottom right of each post is a little blue thing that says Quote. Click on that and it will take you to the page for you to type your response.

At the bottom right of each post is a little blue thing that says Quote. Click on that and it will take you to the page for you to type your response.

Oddly enough about 15% - 20% of the time this doesn't work at all for me. I end up with a blank post area just as if I hadn't clicked to quote. It's extremely annoying.

Oddly enough about 15% - 20% of the time this doesn't work at all for me. I end up with a blank post area just as if I hadn't clicked to quote. It's extremely annoying.

Wow. Always worked for me. I see the symbol next to it says multi quote but when I click on it all it does is change to red. Not sure how to really multi quote.

edit: Ok, figured out the multi quote. Click that on the post you want… go to another post and click that multi quote. Then click at the bottom of the thread to reply to quote and both will show up. Always learn things new here on CC!

Now, back to the purpose of this thread!

Edited by dickinson

LOL - WOW took me a few minutes, lets see if this works - Thanks. Guess it proves that I am an old dinosaur (not even 50), I have been on CC since it started (I could not figure out how to up-date my signature when the website changed). So let's see if you can teach an old or young dog new tricks.

Tammy

When we became Elite, it strictly took 15 cruises, and we weren't even considered for the MT lunch on one ship because we weren't Elite even though we had over 300 days, and Elite's were seated for 100 less. We thought Princess did the right thing when they made 150 days count for Elite, as we had 350 by then. I should probably think of some way to complain about having to suffer through so many days to get there, but we enjoyed each one. :D If Princess makes any changes, I expect they will thoroughly think them out, considering the problems other lines have had.

I'm confused. Would getting a better table be more likely for an Elite if that Elite had 35 cruises and 500 days? If the Elite with 15 cruises and 20 days gets a better table that is a problem how? Would it be an issue if they both got better tables? Longer cruises=better people? Again I say, the loyalty program is a business device, a marketing tool, one Princess can do with as they like. It's not a moral issue. (I guess it's no wonder some people complain about "card-waving entitled Elites.")

Edited by shredie

Carnival changed their program a couple of years ago from cruises taken to number of days sailed. I was 3 cruises away from their top millennium tier & was knocked way down because of the number of days I've sailed(lots of 4 days). The way they do it now I will most likely never get to that level.

I can see Princess doing it eventually because they are now offering shorter sailing.

I could see this happening with Princess. JMHO.