Perceptions?

Fat Paul

I have had conversations with people who seemed reluctant to go on a cruise. When I have asked them why, the answers given tend to be based on misperceptions. The non cruisers that I have spoken with think that cruising is expensive, too regimented, nothing to do except play shuffleboard, don't want to "dress up" on vacation, don't want to be couped up on a ship etc. What are some reasons you have been given for someone not wanting to cruise.

My brother in law is convinced he will be sea sick. Therefore, I bet he will! :rolleyes: His family would like to go on a cruise, so I hope he is willing to give it a try, and that he can keep an open mind.... (I believe he is also convinced he won't like it... therefore..... :() And the open mind thing... not sure he can do that either.

"I dont want to be stuck on a boat"

"I dont want to have to dress up on vacation"

"I might get seasick"

"I will get that cruise ship virus" :rolleyes:

"Im afraid I will be bored out of my mind"

Ive heard it all. I have stopped even explaining and I certainly will not try and convince someone to go on a cruise.

I've seen three types of perceptions.

1. People who have never been on a cruise and only have the TV Show love boat as a reference (Where can we go to hit golf balls off the back of the ship, or where do we get the streamers to throw overboard at sailaway?

2. People who have been on one particular cruise and therefore all cruises are that way. Too many old people, too many kids, too many drunks.

3. People who only know what they see on the news and we all know how only the good news is reported on TV.

Yes the norovirus,

the fire on a ship ( Carnival Freedom - I think it was) and drifting for few days/nights with all the discomforts,

the Costa Concordia tragic misfortune,

and just plain "being scared to be on a ship in the ocean"

Some of the above were mentioned by our friends who never cruised.

And now they are going to be on a cruise with us ( dec) .... I/we did not try to convince them to go on a cruise ..... they decided on their own,

I've heard all the reasons above. I used to try to tell them they are being short sighted but gave up. If they feel that way fine. Doesn't impact me.

My SIL recently went on a cruise after having said a lot of those things. When they got back her comment, "now I get it". They already have another booked!

People have to learn on their own and if they choose to not do a cruise, so be it.

Staying a week at the beach is boring (compared to cruising) in my opinion. Even though on sea days I generally just sit and read in the Solarium, the evening routine ensures you have something interesting to do.

I can see the attraction of all inclusives, but I really like sailing to different ports. I would want to go somewhere other than Mexico or the Bahamas though, which means that airfare gets pricey.

To me cruising is an escape, even if thanks to the cheaper Internet and onboard mobile service it is less so these days. The fact that I can do one day drives to all eastern ports (even NYC) is really nice as it removes the need to fly.

Noro definitely hurts cruise lines, but like everything else it is overblown. Carnival didn't help much either with their troubles.

We had some friends that we really wanted to get on a cruise with us. The husband was in the US Navy for a few years and told us he didn't want to be on a ship again; then it was that they have more fun going to Vegas. We finally got them to go after a couple of years of cajoling and prodding. Now, we can hardly keep up with them! They keep booking cruises and prodding us to join them!

My wife was one of those "I'll never go on a cruise" people - and I heard all of the above reasons at one time or another. Even our daughter, who had been on three cruises told her she wouldn't like it. I finally managed to drag her on a 3-night Bahamas cruise with the argument that if she didn't like it, at least it was only three days.

The minute we stepped on board, she fell in love with the ship, and she dragged me down to the next cruise desk to book our next cruise before we even went in for dinner on the first night:)

I had a couple of friends that thought it was too expensive to go on a cruise and thought it was cheaper to go to the oceanfront where I live. Once I broke down the cost of going to the oceanfront and what I paid to go on a cruise they started taking cruises because it was cheaper and they got to see other countries.

I've heard all of them. Media shows its bias when reporting cruise line problems while the same type of stories happen on a daily basis at hotels, motels and restaurants.

Even cruise lines add to the public's poor image of what a cruise is like. I am referring to the NCL ad a few years ago where they showed OTHER cruises to be the equivalent of a bunch of sheep being led in lockstep from one place to another as if it was run by a warden from Alcatraz.

All I know is that all the doubters that have cruised with us are now hooked and don't understand why they never did it before.

bosco