Sea of Cortez, Dec 3/14 ~ Topolobampo Cancelled..thoughts??

CruiseWhere

Was curious and did a quick check. (we had considered Cruising the Sea of Cortez at one time...)

Only Standam is scheduled in December. Could be that is' not a regular "Cruise" Port and the Freight traffic is high... Or the port is damaged due to the Hurricane.

Here is a link: http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Mexico/707-Topolobampo/December_2014/

Unless you do the copper canyon I don't think there is all that much at Topo but I'm sure it won't be long until I'm told I'm wrong.

We actually had no interest in doing the Copper Canyon for a variety of reasons...length, comments from others & we have seen a number of red rock locations albeit not Topolobampo.

I questions whether some of the other ports will be replaced or cancelled due to the horrific situation caused by the damage that the hurricane produced. I feel for all there.

I've been to both. I'd take Mazatlan in a NY minute. Unless you do the copper canyon I don't think there is all that much at Topo but I'm sure it won't be long until I'm told I'm wrong.

I also agree with cruz chic, much rather go to Mazatlan. When your there take one of the jitneys to the Gold Zone. Great little area and wonderful sight seeing along the way.

We actually had no interest in doing the Copper Canyon for a variety of reasons...length, comments from others & we have seen a number of red rock locations albeit not Topolobampo.

I questions whether some of the other ports will be replaced or cancelled due to the horrific situation caused by the damage that the hurricane produced. I feel for all there.

I'm wondering the same thing.

I've been to both. I'd take Mazatlan in a NY minute. Unless you do the copper canyon I don't think there is all that much at Topo but I'm sure it won't be long until I'm told I'm wrong.

Is that the place where they took us to such a gawd awful beach that HAL wound up issuing 50% refunds to people.

We did the Sea of Cortez in Dec. and the ship went to Mazatlan then too. It is a very beautiful stop now and I highly recommend taking the time to explore to do some exploring. There are lots of english speaking volunteers all over that give directions,hand out phamplets and just give out big smiles. It was an extremely enjoyable stop. Yow will have a great time.

Tobolobampo -- port congestion??

No way -- only dock one ship there.

Right now the Sea of Cortez area is badly damaged. But they should recover by December.

Maybe Mazatlan has offered better port fees to attract HAL??

The biggest attraction is the Copper River excursion via the train -- nearly 16 - 18 hours. Maybe there is a problem with the train?? Other than that, there are not too many places to see.

Often cancelled for various reasons.

Safety concerns in this area in the past and weather can be so much of a problem that the ships can't dock.

Big loss for HAL as the big excursion should be a huge money maker for them!

I think I remember that this port was cancelled last year because of security issues with the Copper Canyon trip. Usually about half the ship does this tour, and if it is not offered, there is not much to do in the area. Mazatlan offers more and I am glad to see that ships are returning there.

I did the copper canyon and its 18 hours of my life I'll never get back again. I didn't think it was terribly impressive. The train ride was just too long.

You never know what will change. My heart goes out to the people that are suffering so much in that area.

I was trying to remember that myself. I'm pretty sure you are correct. That was quite the shorex:rolleyes:.

Worst one I have ever been on in all of our cruises. I didn't think I'd ever get the black mud from that beach off of myself. It was just gross. It's also the one and only time I have ever written a formal complaint. Remember the people who left to return to the ship at their own expense?

Worst one I have ever been on in all of our cruises. I didn't think I'd ever get the black mud from that beach off of myself. It was just gross. It's also the one and only time I have ever written a formal complaint. Remember the people who left to return to the ship at their own expense?

It's all coming back to me now. I wonder if they still offer that shorex. I'm pretty sure that's the only time I've made a written complaint. It was brutal.

Mazatlan - excellent seafood at La Pantillas (or Puntillas - can't remember the spelling)! Near the pier for boat trip to Stone Island - a nice place to spend the day in the sun on the beach. Ziplining, horseback riding or ATV-ing at Huana Coa on an agave plantation outside the city (+ tequila tasting) can be great fun too!

I have a friend that vacations a lot in mazatlan. She told me quite a few ships are coming back to Mazatlan. Not sure where she heard it. I loved to go jewelry shopping in the golden zone and got some unique jewelry from there that I get a lot of compliments on. My friend told me a lot of these businesses have gone under since I haven't been there:D. They gave me some good prices and I spent in kind.

I loved the Copper Canyon train excursion, which was the only reason for us to take that cruise, and HAL took exceptional care of us; it was a fabulous, memorable day. But if one's not going on the train, Topolobampo has little to offer other than a quiet day on the ship. Enjoy Mazatlan!

It's hard to have a bad on a cruise ship! m--

Tobolobampo -- port congestion??

No way -- only dock one ship there.

Right now the Sea of Cortez area is badly damaged. But they should recover by December.

Maybe Mazatlan has offered better port fees to attract HAL??

The biggest attraction is the Copper River excursion via the train -- nearly 16 - 18 hours. Maybe there is a problem with the train?? Other than that, there are not too many places to see.

It is due to port congestion. That is where they will be ferrying food, water, supplies, workers, construction equipment and building supplies to LaPaz so they can transport everything to the Los Cabos area. This will be going on for months if not a solid year or two.