Best rum cake?

sweetlove13

I will be sailing Jewel of the Seas late November from San Juan to Grenada, St Lucia, Antigua, St Croix and St Thomas. I want to bring back some of those mini rum cakes for friends. I know Tortuga are the best known but have heard people talk about others that they thought were better. I'm looking for opinions on the best brands and flavors and where on the islands I'm visiting is the best place to buy. I'm looking to buy about a dozen so I want to get the best price. I'm also interested in rum balls or any other rum candy if anyone has info on those.

Thanks in advance for your input! :D

I like Tortuga Rum Cakes and Tortuga Chocolate Rum Balls. JMO:)

Agree

They seem to last forever, and we love them.

Almost as good if not better than the taste of Claxton cakes (we add our own Captain Morgans:eek:) .

At the holidays

(If you ever had them).

Sea Ya

I have a question for you of the rum cake experts. How do the Bermuda rum cakes compare to those of the various Caribbean islands?

Can't speak for the Tortuga that are so pervasive in the Carribbean islands amd don't know where they are baked. However, the Bermuda rum cakes are made on the premises at The Royal Naval Dockyard.....hard to beat that freshness. There is also another brand, Horton's, that was started by a Bermudian, Linda Horton, and are made with Gosling's Black Rum. The 2 brands compete as far as whose is the best.:)

Even though I have not had the Tortuga brand, I would put my money on either of the Bermuda rum cakes in an instant.

I make my own with Jamaican Appleton Estate Rum. Frankly, Tortuga rum cakes aren't as flavorful as mine :D!

If I send you my address, will you send me samples for scientific testing? ;) :D

Can't speak for the Tortuga that are so pervasive in the Carribbean islands amd don't know where they are baked. However, the Bermuda rum cakes are made on the premises at The Royal Naval Dockyard.....hard to beat that freshness. There is also another brand, Horton's, that was started by a Bermudian, Linda Horton, and are made with Gosling's Black Rum. The 2 brands compete as far as whose is the best.:)

Even though I have not had the Tortuga brand, I would put my money on either of the Bermuda rum cakes in an instant.

Now THAT is "news you can use"!!!!

I like Tortuga Rum Cakes and Tortuga Chocolate Rum Balls. JMO:)

The Rum Runners Cakes in Halifax, ns are the best. They do them in Whiskey as well. IMO

I do like the Tortuga Rum cakes as well always buy one in the Port to have a snack late in the evening.

Edited by Folk Singer