Cruise day 1

mambotango

I would pack a sweater to wear inside. It can be cool in some of the areas of the ship.

If you get onboard in time for lunch, don't let the worker bees make you go to the buffet. One of the main dining rooms WILL be open from 11:30 - 1:00 or 1:30. (On level 5-6 midship) Much more civilized than fighting the buffet line the fist day! If not in time, try the International cafe on 5. They serve soup, sandwiches, and sweet treats at lunch time. You might even get to hear a string quartet while sitting there snacking.

Your room will be ready for you to go check out once you are onboard. You can go drop off all your cary on gear and not have to run around with it.

Walk around and see where you would like to spend sail away. If your roll call isn't meeting for sail away, some good places are at the aft pool area or midship near the pool.

Join your roll call. It is fun to get to know a few travelers before you go on your trip.

Have a great time!

My husband and I will be going on our first cruise with princess (ruby) this November. We would appreciate any tips for enjoying our first day of the cruise.

If you board early enough (it closes at 1.30 and they often close the doors a little early), you can enjoy a nice leisurely and quiet lunch in the main dining room instead of the more crowded buffet. Some people really enjoy this perk Princess offers. It's usually held in the dining room off the Piazza on deck 6 (Fiesta deck), although to be sure, check the back page of the Patter (Princess's daily newsletter, a copy of which you'll find in your cabin when you arrive).

I always study (obsessively!) the deck plans pre-cruise, and then after lunch, I tour the entire ship, top to bottom, to scope it all out. It's a good way to get familiar with the ship so you don't waste too much time getting lost later on. And I try to spend at least a little time on the Promenade Deck watching the longshoremen load supplies and baggage -- I'm either a nerd or easily entertained because I find it fascinating. And sometimes hilarious if the forklift driver is clumsy . . .

Don't forget to relax and have a frosty drink at 3pm for no reason at all except that you're on vacation and it's okay to drink in the middle of the day!

My routine when getting on a new ship usually goes something like this:

1, Grab a copy of daily events bulletin and check to see if there are any events going on of interest, or any one day only special dining events going on.

2, see if we can go to the cabin yet, if not take the carry on bags and go to the buffet or the lido deck near the pool to wait for the cabin to be opened.

3, Go to the cabin and check it out, make sure everything works, toilet flushes, etc, double check the time for the lifeboat drill. At this point I usually have an hour or two to kill.

4, Explore the ship, I have usually been travelling or standing in line a lot by this point and want to stretch my legs. So I try to make a systematic sweep of most of the public spaces on the ship, find where the nearest bar is to the cabin (think vertical here), find where the MDR is located, etc. I usually start at the bottom and work my way up as most people tend to be in the buffet or around the pool.

On Princess ships you can go to your cabin immediately when you board so you'll want to go there first to drop off your carry-ons and put valuables in your safe. There'll be a Princess Patter telling you what's going on for the rest of the day. :)

LuLu

My husband and I will be going on our first cruise with princess (ruby) this November. We would appreciate any tips for enjoying our first day of the cruise.

Hello from just up the coast.

As Lulu has suggested go directly to your cabin, put your valuables and passports in your safe and read the Patters. There is a sit-down lunch in one of the MDRs from 12 until 1:30 so you may care to take that in then go off and explore the ship. If you embark at about noon your luggage will likely arrive at your cabin between 2 and 3 and then you can unpack and get ready for the muster drill.

A lot of people get to the port early so they can do things like have a lunch in the main dining room but I would rather not fight the crowd. Even with being platinum and able to got to past many in line it's still not worth it to me to be in that stressful environment at the start of my vacation.

I don't arrive at the port until 2:00 or so and totally avoid the lines and crowds and have a nice leisurely start to my cruise. Then I got to my room drop of my stuff and spend a couple minutes on the balcony reading the patter. If I am lucky my balcony is on the dock side so I can watch the forklift dance for a bit.

The I go and make my Crown Grill Reservation for the first formal night and if I have time before the muster drill explore the ship a little to see what's new.

If you board early enough (it closes at 1.30 and they often close the doors a little early), you can enjoy a nice leisurely and quiet lunch in the main dining room instead of the more crowded buffet. Some people really enjoy this perk Princess offers. It's usually held in the dining room off the Piazza on deck 6 (Fiesta deck), although to be sure, check the back page of the Patter (Princess's daily newsletter, a copy of which you'll find in your cabin when you arrive).

The lunch in the MDR is rarely crowded. The food is delicious. There is a really good avocado appetizer, a cheese ravioli, a grilled salmon everyone raves about, as well as other choices such as hamburgers and fries. Desserts, too! I always find this to be a very nice way to start the cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

While you are exploring the ship, don't forget to take your scavenger hunt booklet/card with you. It will guide you through the ship. The Lotus Spa and sometimes Portrait Studio are difficult to find. Start from the top and walk down the stairs. Don't do this in a short cruise. They usually hold you hostage during a "shopping" seminar. Longer cruises have it in the Piazza. I've won a thing or two.

Check out the Volcano on the kids menu on embarkation day. It's a giant banana split! It is available at every lunch and dinner in the main dining room. Never tried to ask for it during breakfast. It is dairy and fruit!

Enjoy

Thx for all the responses. Looking forward to our upcoming nov 15 cruise - eastern caribbean

We're on that cruise as well!

Everyone has given you GREAT information, so you've got plenty of stuff to do now when you get onboard!

If you want to do things like Chef's Table or the Ship's Tour (Ultimate tour? I can't remember if it has a special name), you'll want to sign up for those VERY quickly after boarding. They sell out pretty fast. But, other than that, heave a sigh of relief as the rest of the week is on YOUR schedule! Relax and make sure to find a beautiful spot for sailaway (my favorite is the pool deck all the way to the aft of the ship. The wake behind the ship is gorgeous).

It also wouldn't hurt to go to Princess.com and check out the deck plans for the Ruby. OYu can find your cabin, locate the stairs/elevators near it, you can get the locations of the major venues and you can get a feel of whats where.

I have seen many cruisers board a ship with no clue as to where they are going. I mean they were walking forward trying to get to the Traditional dining room in the stern!

Keep in mind that every stairwell on every deck has a plaque that is a deck plan you can look there to get quickly oriented.

For me, the faster I get oriented to the ship, the faster I can relax and not have to worry about where I am going.

After a day or two you will know where you are going and by the end of the cruise you will find the ship serene compared to the rush and craziness of the first day.

Unfortunately, it is the end of the cruise...:( Which gives you a reason to book another.

I know you asked about the first day, but I would like to add that you have breakfast in the MDR on the last day. It is a comfortable way to enjoy a leisurely meal on an otherwise busy day.

Enjoy the cruise!

I found a pretty good deal at Lotus spa on embarkation day. I know a lot of people avoid them, but I enjoy getting massages or facials.

We loved the Ruby! Remember most items at the International Cafe are included! Our first two days we though it was extra. Try the Cronut! I really miss those.

Edited by KBS1607

Ok Your on a 7 day Cruise.

This is what we would do.

Boarding:

Arrive at the pier between 10:30 and 11:00am. If you get a staggered boarding notice, treat it as only a suggestion, not mandatory. Check in will start around 11am, you may have to stand outside for a short while. After check in you will be shown to a seated waiting area. Boarding starts around noon with priority boarders first, then general boarding. You should be on board by 12:30 or earlier. Go directly to your cabin and drop your luggage, place your things into the room safe, and start out on your vacation.There will be a Princess Patter (daily paper) in your cabin, bring it with you, take note of the muster drill time.

While some love the DR for lunch, we find that it takes up too much time. To us that's not relaxing. We normally have lunch on the first day in the International Cafe where you can get a cup of soup, sandwich, salad and dessert. Sometimes we just grab a burger, dog or slice of pizza up by the pool, followed by some soft ice cream, and just lounge around the pool area. If you want to swim on day one, pack bathing clothes in your carry on.

Princess has a card that is either in your cabin or they give it to you on boarding. It's designed to get you to visit all their revenue areas. Get all the stamps on the card and you can be in their drawing for some prizes. You might find this interesting.

Look at this site http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp. Princess has the unlimited beverage package, coffee card, soda sticker, soda and more sticker. These are described on the web site, at the bottom. You can purchase them on board or pre purchase them. If you purchase on board from a bar while the ship is still in port in Ft. Lauderdale then you will be charged the local sales tax. If you pre purchase, no tax is added. Also these packages are sold at tables around the ship. At those tables the sale is hand written and not processed through the computer system at the time of purchase. Our experience is the processing is done after leaving port, thus we have not been charged sales tax.

Muster Drill is done inside in the lounges on deck 7. Carry don't wear your Life jacket to the drill. The drill is mandatory and your cruise card will be scanned at the drill. Arrive about 5 to 10mins early if you want a seat.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by sknight

Ruby - beautiful ship... you'll enjoy.

We always try to get to port around 11am and usually on the ship by 12. Room is ready and we drop our carry-on, secure our credentials in the safe, look thru the Patter (what's happening today on the ship) and off to explore - making sure we determine when and where Muster Drill is!! We always check the menu outside of the Michelangelo dining room on deck 5 to determine if we want to go there first night, or maybe just the Buffet??

We're always 'too pumped' for a sit down leisurely lunch, so we just hit the Buffet, or Grill, or Pizza and Ice Cream place all on deck 15 (Lido). Back to the room to unpack our luggage which is normally there by 2pm. On to Muster.

Nobody should miss sail-away from FLL... we go to deck 16 - just above the pools (has a bar :)) for sail away. Have never had cold weather in FLL, but it could rain... be prepared.

BTW Mambo... What kind of flights do you have from YVR to FLL?? Long flight, hope you're going a day early??

Our routine is a slice, or two, of what I consider the best pizza at sea and an umbrella drink, or three, for DW...

Key is for you to do what you want, but hard to miss sail away on first cruise. Careful, because if you are lucky, it will hook you for life......

Safe Journeys. Paul

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by pjrockman

The most important thing to do on embarkation day is to relax. If you don't arrive in time for lunch in MDR so what? If you end up in a line so what? This is a cruise. Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy yourself.

There is absolutely no reason to start your cruise stressed out about anything. You are about to board a Princess ship and be treated like royalty. Yes, you will have to get yourself in and out of bed and you will be responsible for your own shower but, other than that, you will be totally taken care of.

Have a wonderful first cruise. It took my wife 20 years to talk me into a cruise and I was hooked after the first one. Enjoy yourself! :)

One thing I always do is pay attention to the time of the Muster Drill. My vacation really doesn't start till that is DONE. I like to venture to that area before it's time and find nice comfortable seats. (Travelling with my elderly Mom kinda makes this a must do.) I do not want any rushing and she can't do down more than two flights of stairs. I love that Princess does this indoors at one of the lounges.

Once the drill is complete we continue to stay in our nice comfy setting till the crowds disperse. Getting back to your cabin after muster can be a challenge. Of course if Princess has really dropped the requirement to bring your life jacket to muster it might change everything. Maybe we don't need to go back to cabin at this point. But she does like unpacking as soon as the luggage arrives.

Then hopefully I have time to RUN to the terrace pool area and meet some of my CC Roll Call friends.

It's not until then I feel ready to let go and relax!

My advice has to do with pre-cruise.

1. Never ever fly in the day of the cruise. Aside from when we go from our home port (which is an hour's drive away and even then we try to be on the road by 10am).

2. Check out the website for your cruise line. Read the FAQs (Princess's site calls it the Cruise Answer Place). Learn about your ship - where key places you might be interested in, etc. You should get a little map when you first board, or will be in your cabin, but it doesn't hurt to check out the deck plans.

3. Once on board, don't try to do everything. The Patter will be placed in your cabin every night, but the first day's should be in your cabin. It'll give lots of good info such as what entertainment is coming up, which nights will be formal, when the mandatory muster drill is.