Cruise Culture and Princess

Cruzinram

This "discussion" has been going on for years (at least since I began cruising in 2001). My feeling - and it is not to cause any kind of blowup - is that if you wish to sail Princess and not dress formal, that's great. Just don't come into traditional dining on formal nights. There are plenty of places to eat on board; allow us who still enjoy the culture of tuxedos and gowns to have them.

And here come the flames!

No flames from me! I do have to admit that I like seeing the men in their tuxes and the women in their lovely dresses but we personally don't want to dress up anymore so we don't - we go to the specialty restaurants on formal nights.

First time on Princess 25 cruises on Celebrity. Caribbean Princess thoughts. It's not Celebrity and pretty close. Biggest disappointment s lack of enforcement of dress code. Formal night found many males not wearing ties or jackets. A few with shirt tails hanging out, and allowed into the dining room. Starting to wonder why I even bother folowing policy anymore.

We just got off of CB and saw very little enforcement of dresscode. MDR let in shorts, tee shirts, baseball caps at dinner. Both men and women disregarrded any codes. We also noticed more chair hogs at lotus pool.

I truly hate wearing a tie, when you have a short neck they just suck. They are a torture device invented by the French :)

When I first started cruising I never went to formal night but finally on one cruise the dinning staff insisted that I come to dinner anyway. That was my first venture into formal night.

I do understand decorum and all, I never would wear jeans or shorts or a shirt without a collar in the dining room, and I always book one of the restaurants for the first formal night but.... I'm not going to wear a tie on vacation and I shouldn't be denied access to the MDR on lobster night because I find wearing ties a form of torture.

If this offends you I am sorry, actual I'm not, I'm on vacation :)

We just got off of CB and saw very little enforcement of dresscode. MDR let in shorts, tee shirts, baseball caps at dinner. Both men and women disregarrded any codes. We also noticed more chair hogs at lotus pool.

It doesn't take to many chair hogs to tie up those seats. We see the same thing on every cruise.

Well when, on a Formal night, another passenger said to my wife and me, yes dressed to code, "You're a handsome couple", that made it all worthwhile.

Especially as we're in our sixties.

Me, I love to see the women in fancy dresses and it's not hard, as a man, to wear the Dinner suit stuff occassionally.

My wife and I gave up going to the MDR long ago whether formal night or a regular evening. Those that want to dress should have the MDR as there are plenty of other food venues for the rest of us. If you don't want to dress up go elsewhere.

Why should those who want to dress formally have the MDR and I shouldn't because I don't want to wear a suit or tux?:rolleyes:

Because you are aware of the dress requirements before you booked the cruise.

I agree with Husky61. I don't believe the MDR should be devoted to a particular group of people on any given night. I do not believe that some should be given the choice to dress formally, go to the buffet, or pay a specialty fee.

I believe in equity, fairness, and treating all passengers equally. One can only wonder how those who like formal night would feel if they were told they had to dine in the buffet. Or, pay a special fee for no other reason than the way they dress.

I believe in equity, fairness, and treating all passengers equally.

Me, too! I want my dinner served on the balcony of my suite! Every night! Even if I don't actually book a suite! Equity! Fairness! Equality!

:p:p:p Princess' silly rules be damned!

I agree with Husky61. I don't believe the MDR should be devoted to a particular group of people on any given night. I do not believe that some should be given the choice to dress formally, go to the buffet, or pay a specialty fee.

I believe in equity, fairness, and treating all passengers equally. One can only wonder how those who like formal night would feel if they were told they had to dine in the buffet. Or, pay a special fee for no other reason than the way they dress.

Well said!:):):)

If this offends you I am sorry, actual I'm not, I'm on vacation :)

And nobody else is! Including the people who think their vacation is more fun by dressing up! Me! Me! Me!

The score is something like 15 for dressing nicely and 8 for wearing whatever fell out of the suitcase. The minority is making itself heard! Go them!

Edited by shredie

My first cruise was my two younger brothers and I taking my dad to Alaska on the Coral Princess in 2009. We only ate in the main dining room the last or second to last night. I remember seeing all the people dressed up for formal night; posing, getting pictures taken, etc.

I said to my brother that it seemed sad that these people's lives were so empty that their only joy was in dressing up and looking fancy to get noticed by other people like themselves. My younger brother made the comment that who the hell was I(I cleaned up his original language) to judge these people, and that maybe the middle-aged couple over there bought that specific dress so that they could go back to the cabin and he could cut it off her with an X-acto knife and proceed to have an incredible night of passion, and maybe I shouldn't be so judgmental toward people I knew nothing about. One of many great moments, and lessons, from that cruise.

I don't do formal nights. I don't go to the main dining room those nights either, out of courtesy to and respect for my fellow passengers, and the venue. One day when I look good in a suit or tux, I'll pack it, and show up, and be positively sartorial.

And I'll pack an X-acto knife......

I love when people use the airline as an excuse not to bring formal wear and then you read the thread "Things to bring on a cruise". I can't believe some of the crap people will pack but find that packing a dress shirt and tie will tilt the weight limit. It's like the Beverly Hillbillies sail on the Love Boat.

Because you are aware of the dress requirements before you booked the cruise.

Suggestions, just mere suggestions. I'm sure you've heard that before. If it wasen't true then hardly anyone would be allowed to eat in the dining room on formal night. The clothing I've see worn isn't called formal by any standards.

Fair enough and there is, on most ships, more than one MDR, so the true test would be to have, on some nights, a Formal MDR and an informal one.

I'd go along with that idea. They could have one true formal (only tuxes & full gowns allowed) and the other formal optional- pretty much the way it is today.;)

This "discussion" has been going on for years (at least since I began cruising in 2001). My feeling - and it is not to cause any kind of blowup - is that if you wish to sail Princess and not dress formal, that's great. Just don't come into traditional dining on formal nights. There are plenty of places to eat on board; allow us who still enjoy the culture of tuxedos and gowns to have them.

And here come the flames!

Exactly. I will continue to do as Princess allows and ignore all who say otherwise. Long sleeve shirt, tie, dress pants and tennis shoes in the MDR on formal night. And I will continue to enjoy the meal.

...Just don't come into traditional dining on formal nights. There are plenty of places to eat on board; allow us who still enjoy the culture of tuxedos and gowns to have them. And here come the flames!

No flames here. I have dined in the Lido when I didn't feel like dressing on formal nights out of respect for those who followed the rules and dressed for the MDR. I have never understood those who feel they can ignore the rules just b/c they paid for a ticket.

I have always thought about dragging a poolside lounge chair onto my cabin balcony instead of using the "doll furniture" that comes with it, but I'm sure it is against the rules, so I don't do it.

OT to TWA: I was on one of TWA's last flights. I was alone (!) in first class on a 767 that trip. I used up all my miles for the ticket as I thought AA might not honor them. The FA saw me reading a newspaper and asked if there was any news about the merger. She said the crews were hearing more from pax about it than from corporate.