Laundry

sgallojr

I have a question in reference to the laundry facilities onboard the Freedom class ships, more specifically, the Liberty of the Seas. Are there irons in the laundry rooms? I read a review about the Liberty, and the person who wrote it said that there was none on the ship. I was under the impression that there were irons onboard, its just that they are in the laundry rooms where guests use the coin operated washer / dryers.

I have a question in reference to the laundry facilities onboard the Freedom class ships, more specifically, the Liberty of the Seas. Are there irons in the laundry rooms? I read a review about the Liberty, and the person who wrote it said that there was none on the ship. I was under the impression that there were irons onboard, its just that they are in the laundry rooms where guests use the coin operated washer / dryers.

There are no guest laundry facilities on any Royal ship. No guest irons to use either.

Edited by clarea

You are describing the set up on the Disney ships perfectly, but as a pp says, there are no guest laundry facilities at all on RCI ships. Sorry.

No need for irons or laundry rooms. They have full laundry service aboard.

YOU may not need laundry rooms, but some of us who have clothes that get dirty would love to have them, especially if our vacation is extended with pre and post cruise hotel stays. Some of us might want to pay less than $5 to wash and dry a load of clothes ourselves rather than pay $40-$50 or so to have it done by the full laundry service. And yes, some folks do find the full service laundry costs to be reasonable, and some of us do not.

And yes, we know all about the fact that some of you don't want to do laundry on vacation, but some of us have to save money somewhere to enable us to take the vacation. Personally I would rather take the money saved by doing laundry myself to treat my wife and I to dinner at a specialty restaurant.

And yes, my time is valuable too, but I put in a load of laundry early in the morning ( I am an early riser), head off to get some coffee and return to find it almost finished.

Okay, now flame away!;)

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - October 2014

CCL Victory - October 2012

CCL Triumph - May 2011

CCL Conquest - April 2004

CCL Celebration - April 2000

CCL Celebration - November 1996

All of your cruises have been on Carnival, according to your signature.

Carnival ships have laundry rooms.

Royal Caribbean ships do not. All of them. No laundry rooms, no ironing boards, no irons.

It's just the way that it is.

:)

From the blog of the CEO:

Several guests ask why we don’t have laundry facilities available for our guests to use. The decision regarding how space is allocated onboard occurs during the new ship design and revitalization processes. In guest areas we focus on the optimization of space. This requires balancing of staterooms, dining/bars, entertainment, shops, other guest “public” spaces, operational areas and storage. As you can imagine, square footage is limited and used for the purposes we believe are most desirable. In every project I can remember, we considered but ultimately chose to not include guest laundry features, including Oasis-class. Of course, we always offer paid dry cleaning, laundry and pressing services through our laundry department.

He has also stated that they want the focus to be on guests enjoying their holidays and just like cooking is done for you so is washing, etc.

From a personal perspective I thought that deck chairs were the most likely cause of conflict on a cruise until I read some of the threads about clothes left in washing machines on ships.

YOU may not need laundry rooms, but some of us who have clothes that get dirty would love to have them, especially if our vacation is extended with pre and post cruise hotel stays. Some of us might want to pay less than $5 to wash and dry a load of clothes ourselves rather than pay $40-$50 or so to have it done by the full laundry service. And yes, some folks do find the full service laundry costs to be reasonable, and some of us do not.

And yes, we know all about the fact that some of you don't want to do laundry on vacation, but some of us have to save money somewhere to enable us to take the vacation. Personally I would rather take the money saved by doing laundry myself to treat my wife and I to dinner at a specialty restaurant.

And yes, my time is valuable too, but I put in a load of laundry early in the morning ( I am an early riser), head off to get some coffee and return to find it almost finished.

Okay, now flame away!;)

I understand exactly what you are saying because we do longer cruises and usually do b2bs.

If you are a C&A member there will be onboard offers loaded onto your SeaPass Card for laundry. Current Listing of Exclusive Onboard Offers by C&A Level

I also bring along laundry sheets and some fabric softener with me and wash things out in the bathroom and then hang them either in the bathroom or out on the balcony.

I tried to pack things for daytime wear that are easily washable and dry quickly.

Make sure you ask your stateroom attendant when the day for the bag laundry special is. Our attendant put a bag on our sofa one afternnon. There was a laundry slip--but, no note or anything else. He never mentioned it to us. so, I was looking in the Cruise compass to see when the day was for the bag special. We are diamond and know it has to be on a specific day.

By 7 day I called guest services. They told me I had missed it by 2 days and the next one wasn't until day 10. :confused:

Now, this was a 14 day TA with 4 days pre-cruise. Needless to say, I did laundry in the sink that night.

Make sure you ask your stateroom attendant when the day for the bag laundry special is. Our attendant put a bag on our sofa one afternnon. There was a laundry slip--but, no note or anything else. He never mentioned it to us. so, I was looking in the Cruise compass to see when the day was for the bag special. We are diamond and know it has to be on a specific day.

By 7 day I called guest services. They told me I had missed it by 2 days and the next one wasn't until day 10. :confused:

Now, this was a 14 day TA with 4 days pre-cruise. Needless to say, I did laundry in the sink that night.

That's interesting. Maybe I have been lucky and just hit the right day every time--al three times we have done the special I have just put the bag out on any day after it was left in our room, that I wanted and it has always been done and charged correctly. I had no idea it was supposed to be on a particular day.

(and I agree with the PP that says with the coupon it is pretty resaonbale--you can fit a lot in those bags. We also wash some out in the bathroom if needed, like Patti)

I have cruised since 1993 and as long as I remember there has never been a laundry room one RCI. Life is all about choices and if a laundry room is that important please select a cruise line that fits your needs. As I see it is not likely RCI will be adding a laundry room anytime soon.

Shak

The C&A coupon makes having a bag of laundry done very affordable.

That's nice if you have a coupon, I dont. I'd certainly prefer a guest laundry room over the laundry service if it were available. The ridiculous cost of laundry services is only half of it. Time is the other, I'm assuming that the service has the typical 24 hour turn around, if I do it myself it's done now. It's moot since they don't have one, but I think they should.

I have cruised since 1993 and as long as I remember there has never been a laundry room one RCI. Life is all about choices and if a laundry room is that important please select a cruise line that fits your needs. As I see it is not likely RCI will be adding a laundry room anytime soon.

^^ This. Exactly.

OP, I hope you enjoy your RCI cruise. They have a great product and wonderful ships and crew. :)

I met a couple on my recent Alaska cruise who, on a previous Alaska cruise, did the "Laundry Excursion." They found a local laundry mat at one of the ports and took their laundry off the ship to wash themselves...just a thought...

My family considered the Laundry Excursion in Skagway, but due to customs restrictions, couldn't take large bags off/on the ship...so we did the wash and fold special with our C&A 50% coupon. Well worth it.

Next week is my first cruise with RC, a 5 day. I have booked another 9 day with RC in January. I'm flabbergasted that RC doesn't have laundry rooms. Five days are OK but I take very little clothes and I'll need to do laundry on a 9 day. I've cruised with Princess 12 times and Carnival once. Both have laundry rooms (not free - $1.50 per load). Laundry is scheduled on a sea day when I run in drop a load, eat a meal at the International Cafe, swap to dryer, watch entertainment in the Atrium and the load is done. I've never seen a line of people but I have met quite a few entertainers doing their laundry also!

Shak

You know, I bet the OP, who asked a simple question, is really glad you offered up that piece of useless advice. I guess that's your way of enhancing free discussions and discovering new ideas.

Thanks for sharing.