Any dining advice for new diabetic passenger?

Sundagger

I was just diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic. It was caught very early, so I am still in the situation of watching my diet and getting more exercise. I haven't been prescribed any medication yet, but I check my glucose 1 to 3 times/day.

I've been having a lot of trouble finding foods that are low in carbohydrates, yet taste good. On the ship, is there information available on the carbs in each dish? Or do I need to consult a computer program? There are some good ones available, but are kind of inconvenient in a dining room or at a buffet.

Any tips will be appreciated! :D

Take a look at the menus on HALFacts.com or on Crew News' site at:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=775

We try to avoid a whole lot of carbohydrates, not for medical reasons, but just because that's how we eat. Breakfast is easy. Lunch in the Lido is likewise easy because you can choose proteins and veggies or salad. At dinner, we just skip the starches.

If you have been eating low carb for a while, it's pretty easy to know what to avoid. If you are just starting out, use an app to track what you eat so you can get a feel for the carbohydrate counts in your food. It's not practical to use an app on the ship, so the more you know ahead of time, the better.

Finally, there is steak and salmon available every night in case you get stuck. The specialty restaurant, the Pinnacle Grill, is a steakhouse style place. You pick your proteins and sides, which makes it pretty simple.

Edited by POA1

I too eat low carb as a personal preference and have a suggestion that has worked for me: the first night at dinner as your waiter to please replace the bread basket with a plate of veggies every night. Worked great for me and there was no temptation to eat the bread. They even varied the veggie crudités each night. I also aksed for double veggies and no starch with the entree and after the first night they asked "double vegetable"? I usually skipped dessert as there are few low carb dessert choices. Good luck and don't worry about on board eating, it won't be too difficult!

We are in a similar situation as DH was also just diagnosed. Recommend that you view the on-line menus to see what is available, check carbs before you go for what you would normally choose and make a general plan. We may try to find a small carb book to bring with us and factor the carbs for the day as the lunch and dinner menus for the MDR are posted during the day just outside the MDR doors. Oh - bring an extra battery for your meter as these are very difficult to find based on a friend on a prior cruise who was getting frantic looking for one. Turns out our car remote's battery fit her meter.

In talking about this for our upcoming cruise, he will avoid pasta, bread, other starches, and be very careful with desserts. He will probably have to pass on most of the soups and have his salad dressing on the side except for oil and vinegar. You can always ask for additional vegetables either from the menu or as an 'extra'. Have seen tables get a plate of raw veggies before appetizers with a dip and others a plate of cooked veggies with their dinners. There is always a fresh fruit and cheese plate for dessert. We know the sauces can be very bad (the salmon on the every day MDR menu often comes with a teriyaki glaze which is excellent but very sweet) so we usually have the sauce on our entrée on the side. Also, he is required to eat several times a day so we will bring almonds and nutrition bars for his 'snacks' for port days; he will use the salad bar / sandwich station in the Lido for sea days.

You can also check the next day's dinner menu so you can plan your carbs. Just ask your steward or the maître d'.

Good luck - wish you the best and know that you are not alone in trying to figure this out.

I’ve had “this wonderful disease” for over 10 years and never (so far) an abnormal A1C. Don’t go carb crazy like I once did, you need a certain amount of carbs and total avoidance may drive your blood glucose to low. Get to know the glycemic index http://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php You will find it’s pretty easy to control your carb intake and that some high carb foods like pasta can be eaten and still maintain a low carb absorption. I’ve cruised every year since I was diagnosed and simple common carb sense and sensible portions have worked.

Bob

I’ve had “this wonderful disease” for over 10 years and never (so far) an abnormal A1C. Don’t go carb crazy like I once did, you need a certain amount of carbs and total avoidance may drive your blood glucose to low. Get to know the glycemic index http://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php You will find it’s pretty easy to control your carb intake and that some high carb foods like pasta can be eaten and still maintain a low carb absorption. I’ve cruised every year since I was diagnosed and simple common carb sense and sensible portions have worked.

Bob

I agree. Sensible healthy eating is the key.

My father was type 2, and after a few years of being on ever-decreasing meds, he reached the point where he was able to control sugar and A1C simply by watching his diet. He did test his sugar, so he knew how far he could "stray" for special occasions. He didn't eat a lot of dessert, just a cookie would do as a small "sweet" at the end of a meal. I think he ate cake once a year, a small piece of my birthday cake. He cruised and traveled with no problems.

To the OP, I'd say it gets easier over time. You'll learn what you can and can't/shouldn't eat. Record your sugar readings so that you doctor can review them. I am NOT a doctor, this is not medical advice, and I am not saying type 2 doesn't matter--because it does. BUT try not to obsess. Having watched my father and also a friend who's insulin-dependent, I can say that Type 2 is a lot more forgiving of transgressions.

For example, we went to lunch at a buffet restaurant with family. Dad was about to have no-sugar-added apple pie from the "diabetic" table when I saw a slice of cherry pie on the table. Wow, he hadn't had that in ages, and wasn't I clever to spot it! Well, maybe not so clever. The next morning when he checked his sugar, it was high. Not scary-high, but higher than usual. We think somebody took a piece of cherry pie from the regular table, changed his/her mind and just set it down anywhere, not noticing it was the low sugar table. Dad was fine, although he did claim I was trying to kill him with cherry pie. The next morning his sugar was back to his usual good readings.

There are so many people these days who choose to eat low carb and so many who are diabetic you should have no problem finding plenty of healthy food for your good diet. You will have good foods to choose from and will be eating the same as a great many others on your cruise. :) Have a great cruise and please come back and tell us about your experience. It likely will help someone else.

(The quote function is not working for me today but I concur totally with what hawkeye3d stated above).

Cutting carbs way too much resulted in my careening the other way to dangerously low blood sugar. I have no problems adhering to a sensible diabetic diet on cruises - there are many choices, and portion control is key, along with carb control. You can eat carbs, just be careful with it.

If you can get a copy of "Dr Stillman's 14 Day Shape Up Program" (it's available on Amazon.com), it has a very comprehensive list of all types of foods, beverages, condiments, etc., with calorie/protein/fat/carbohydrate values. I use this book as my "bible" for figuring out carbs, especially in the vegetable and fruit categories. The only problem is that this diet was popular in the late '60's, so some of the foods that have become popular in the last decades (such as tofu), aren't on the list. He also has 14 days worth of menus which can give you an idea of portions/combinations to eat.

When we were on Prinsendam in July/Aug for 2 weeks, I was prediabetic....close to Type 2. I was able to become" normal" by losing only about 5 pounds. I already exercise at least 45 min/day, so that wasn't the issue. My pattern of snacking on crackers at night did me in. Now, I count out nuts.

I cut out white foods---ie potatoes, bread, rice, crackers. Whole grain/ high fiber is good. I agree about getting educated on the glycemic index in food. High protein/low fat is also key. Lowfat cheese is good, along with lowfat dairy. But, they do have carbs, so you have to keep track.

For breakfast, eat protein---omelets or eggs. Lunch----they always have some sort of meat on the carving stand. Don't choose things with breading. The salad bar has lots of low carb options. No noodles!! No pizza! Most vegetables are OK, but read up on them.

Dinner is fairly easy. Fish,shrump/seafood, vegetables, salad, strip steak, chicken breast is always offered, but I believe fatty meats shouldn't be eaten more than once/week.

This is going to be a lifestyle for you, so you really can't depend on restaurants giving you carb counts. You are going to have to educate yourself. It's not hard.

Since you are new at dealing with diabetes, I highly recommend that you take advantage of any classes that teach you how to deal with it. Such classes are offered by medical plans, hospitals, and possibly other health organizations.

The classes are led by nurses, dieticians, maybe some other professionals (I can't recall after all these years). They provide excellent information and support, and you get the practical advice of others dealing with the same daily problems.

You can then board a ship feeling more confident in your ability to have a good time while keeping your numbers in range.

Good luck!

When we were on Prinsendam in July/Aug for 2 weeks, I was prediabetic....close to Type 2. I was able to become" normal" by losing only about 5 pounds. I already exercise at least 45 min/day, so that wasn't the issue. My pattern of snacking on crackers at night did me in. Now, I count out nuts.

I cut out white foods---ie potatoes, bread, rice, crackers. Whole grain/ high fiber is good. I agree about getting educated on the glycemic index in food. High protein/low fat is also key. Lowfat cheese is good, along with lowfat dairy. But, they do have carbs, so you have to keep track.

For breakfast, eat protein---omelets or eggs. Lunch----they always have some sort of meat on the carving stand. Don't choose things with breading. The salad bar has lots of low carb options. No noodles!! No pizza! Most vegetables are OK, but read up on them.

Dinner is fairly easy. Fish,shrump/seafood, vegetables, salad, strip steak, chicken breast is always offered, but I believe fatty meats shouldn't be eaten more than once/week.

This is going to be a lifestyle for you, so you really can't depend on restaurants giving you carb counts. You are going to have to educate yourself. It's not hard.

Yes, the Lido usually has a wide selection of foods, and I can get used to avoiding "white foods" and things like my favorite fish and chips (fried). I'm going with a person who has loaded a carb counter program on her iPad, so that will help when there is a question. Thanks!

Since you are new at dealing with diabetes, I highly recommend that you take advantage of any classes that teach you how to deal with it. Such classes are offered by medical plans, hospitals, and possibly other health organizations.

The classes are led by nurses, dieticians, maybe some other professionals (I can't recall after all these years). They provide excellent information and support, and you get the practical advice of others dealing with the same daily problems.

You can then board a ship feeling more confident in your ability to have a good time while keeping your numbers in range.

Good luck!

Thanks! I start class next week at the health organization that provides me with medical care. My next cruise is on Oct. 17th, so I'll have time to learn more and discuss options. I stopped cruising for 5 years (for other reasons), so I'm getting back into the swing of things on board.

My DH is type2 diabetic and he never has a problem on board ship. Every dinner Menu has sugar free desserts as well as the Lido. They also have sugar free ice cream. He nearly always has whatever chicken is offered that night.

He also takes his meter with him to check each day to make sure he is behaving himself, well for eating anyway. LOL.

Go and have your cruise and as others have suggested take those classes and you will be fine.

Helen

Best wishes to you. My DH and I both have Type II diabetes, with his more difficult to control than mine; there is lots of variation from person to person. We have done several cruises and not had difficulty if we're aware of what we're doing. First of all, portions on a cruise are reasonable! That helps a lot. I never heard of the veggies instead of bread, but will do that next time, so thx for the hint. Menus are posted outside the DR before each meal, so with a chart of carbs, you should be able to plan ahead. As others said, veggies instead of most potatoes, rice, etc are good. There is no need to be concerned about enough exercise; there are many classes of a variety of types, and there is always walking around the deck. Many of the excursions offer plenty of walking as well. Beware, as others have said, of limiting carbs TOO much, especially with what, for me at least, is often more exercise than I get on a daily basis. We have found the fruit basket in the room very helpful for the evening snack, as most fruits are about 15 carbs, which is what we need then, though your plan may differ from that, and there is always room service!

My DH is type2 diabetic and he never has a problem on board ship. Every dinner Menu has sugar free desserts as well as the Lido. They also have sugar free ice cream. He nearly always has whatever chicken is offered that night.

He also takes his meter with him to check each day to make sure he is behaving himself, well for eating anyway. LOL.

Go and have your cruise and as others have suggested take those classes and you will be fine.

Helen

I don't want to burst your bubble, but sugar free doesn't mean it's for diabetics. That is a mistake people make. There are still lots of carbs in sugar free icecream and desserts. Carbs convert to sugar, unfortunately. I thought what you did, until someone told me otherwise. What a disappointment! I still buy sugar free ice cream, but it only has a few less carbs. What I have found is that onboard, I can eat 3-4 bites of something and still be satisfied. They say you only get true satisfaction from the first bites. The rest, we are just shoveling in!

I don't want to burst your bubble, but sugar free doesn't mean it's for diabetics. That is a mistake people make. There are still lots of carbs in sugar free icecream and desserts. Carbs convert to sugar, unfortunately. I thought what you did, until someone told me otherwise. What a disappointment! I still buy sugar free ice cream, but it only has a few less carbs. What I have found is that onboard, I can eat 3-4 bites of something and still be satisfied. They say you only get true satisfaction from the first bites. The rest, we are just shoveling in!

Thank you for mentioning this! Also, sometimes desserts are listed as "no sugar added" Not the same as sugar free!

Something that has helped Mr Chew control his sugar levels- water. Drink lots of water. If his sugar is above 115 (he checks every morning) he makes sure to get a little more exercise during the day and drink a little more water than the previous day.

Bob

Great advise, Bob. Get to know the glycemic index! That's exactly what I do. It's been five years for me and I control mine totally by diet. I still eat enjoyable meals and find it no problem to select from the regular menu. :)

LuLu

We use an app called MyFitnessPal. It runs on both iOS & Android, or you can use it in a web browser. We don't use its caloric & nutrient recommendations, but it's great for tracking foods and looking them up. I'm pretty sure it has the biggest food database out there.

Thanks! I start class next week at the health organization that provides me with medical care. My next cruise is on Oct. 17th, so I'll have time to learn more and discuss options. I stopped cruising for 5 years (for other reasons), so I'm getting back into the swing of things on board.

When DH was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes he went to class at the local hospital and was told to start with simply using portion control. He was shown what size a portion should be and how he should balance carbs, proteins, fats, etc. He was told to eat a good variety of food, not to skip any meals and not to avoid any specific type food.

You may be worrying to much about what to or what not to eat. Do as you are instructed by your diabetes management class and enjoy your cruise.:)

Quite true. Although he only has a small portion and that leaves him satisfied with his sweet tooth. He asked his diatichian and she OK'd it in small portions.

Helen

We use an app called MyFitnessPal. It runs on both iOS & Android, or you can use it in a web browser. We don't use its caloric & nutrient recommendations, but it's great for tracking foods and looking them up. I'm pretty sure it has the biggest food database out there.

I took a look at this and am very impressed! Thanks.

Thanks to all for the advice - it helps to hear from people with the same problem and how they've handled it.

I took a look at this and am very impressed! Thanks.

Thanks to all for the advice - it helps to hear from people with the same problem and how they've handled it.

My father, who is a Type 2 diabetic, used the app to help him lose over 50 pounds. He was not a fan of using it at first, but after a few weeks, he was used to tracking his food and it was old hat. Previously, he used an app that the dietician recommended, but he likes MyFitnessPal much better.

In fact, he's much more diligent about tracking his food than his son is. ;) Good luck to you!