question about culinary classes

joiedevivre

On the two trips we were on there were no onlookers in the room, only people who signed up for the class. There really is not room for onlookers however I have read here that people have observed. Might depend on the chef.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Perhaps you have heard about the cooking demonstrations sometimes held in the lounge on the R ships (that don't have culinary classes per se). On a recent trip on Regatta with lots of sea days, a guest chef held a number of fun demonstrations and we were all observers. Recipes were handed out for whatever he prepared.

Perhaps you have heard about the cooking demonstrations sometimes held in the lounge on the R ships (that don't have culinary classes per se). On a recent trip on Regatta with lots of sea days, a guest chef held a number of fun demonstrations and we were all observers. Recipes were handed out for whatever he prepared.

They also had them on the large ships.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

True...why bother paying if you can get in for free JMHO.

Well, unless you've lived your life so far with only the slightest idea of what a kitchen is or a chef does, then you're not going to actually learn anything in the Culinary Classes.

cruzeirosculinariaoceania-1.jpgThey're meant to be more fun than truly instructional, and to that end it was first thought that the spouses of participants might enjoy watching (and tasting) along the way.

183046.jpgFor good or for bad, the very limited area for spectators, in combination with some unfortunate and untoward behavior in the classroom killed the idea of allowing third parties to monitor the classes, very early on.

Another example of why we can't have nice things.

Well, unless you've lived your life so far with only the slightest idea of what a kitchen is or a chef does, then you're not going to actually learn anything in the Culinary Classes.

cruzeirosculinariaoceania-1.jpgThey're meant to be more fun than truly instructional, and to that end it was first thought that the spouses of participants might enjoy watching (and tasting) along the way.

183046.jpgFor good or for bad, the very limited area for spectators, in combination with some unfortunate and untoward behavior in the classroom killed the idea of allowing third parties to monitor the classes, very early on.

Another example of why we can't have nice things.

I have attended culinary classes on 'O' ..... With my spouse. They, of course, were paid for.

As JimandStan post it is much about being entertained, though I certainly learned of some less common spice combinations plus very importantly, the benefit of hands-on, for example the correct feel of the pasta dough to make it Goldilocks right.

But I agree about not having onlookers in the room. Entertainment is a large part of it and certainly fun for the onlookers too but I don't want an audience, fellow participants yes but I don't volunteer to be a participant in the cooking demo either.

A few folks viewing from the windows is one thing but folks sitting in chairs on the side is not what I want. I took a few classes with DW so as to share that with her. I can understand a SO on the sidelines but then the "I brought a friend instead' and ...

Maybe they will allow onlookers in La Reserve as well

Or 1 spouse can pay for the experience & the other can observe from the sidelines & eat what the other does not ...the possibilities are endless :rolleyes:

Maybe they will allow onlookers in La Reserve as well

Or 1 spouse can pay for the experience & the other can observe from the sidelines & eat what the other does not ...the possibilities are endless :rolleyes:

Nearly choked on my coffee reading this. So funny :D:D:D