Panama/E.Carib sea sickness?

crackupforlaughs

I've been looking at the Panama Canal and Eastern Caribbean itineraries (separately, or in a couple they are combined) plus a Western Coastal.

I would love to do these, but I feel every motion of the ship. My cruise history is basically Alaska -- which is calm except for outer Vancouver Island -- and the Gulf of Mexico, which was ok until we went north and had seas of 12+ feet.

I know 12 feet sounds tiny to most of you, but it really dampened my enthusiasm to explore more cruising, and my daughter's. We took Bonine, ate crystalized ginger, drank ginger ale, ate green apples...

I didn't want to go the Dramamine route because -- well, what's the point? We'd be asleep. :(

We didn't get violently ill, but enough bad feeling to just wish we were done with the cruise.

Is there any hope for us? Tips? Tried and true tips? Thanks.

Have you tried getting a patch from the doctor? I don't have a problem but others that have seem to do well with the patch.

I have been to the eastern Caribbean where the seas were smooth as glass and other times we hit some rough seas. We did the Panama Canal back in March and while I thought the seas were smooth one person from our group got sick. She has a script for the patch next time. Our daughter has cruised twice with no problems but the last cruise got I'll. you just never know.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I am very prone to sea sickness, but if you go to your doctor and ask him for a prescription for anti sickness pills or buy quells e.g over the counter then start taking them 24hrs BEFORE your cruise . Take daily thereafter Dont wait untill you are feeling sick . the important thing is to get the pills into your system before. It works for me every time now. Good luck and dont let it put you off :)

Yes..the canal itself is totally calm and you move slowly. But, once you're out in the Caribbean, all bets are off. I don't feel much motion until seas get above 10 feet...then you certainly can feel it.

It sounds miserable to be feeling ill all the time. Talk to your doctor if none of the OTC drugs worked. Cruising may not be the best vacation for you, if you can't get this under control.

We did the panama canal from LA to FLL and had pretty good conditions. Not glass smooth, but not too bad.

Last Jan/Feb we did a 2 week eastern/southern Caribbean cruise has has no real problems with the seas. Again not glass smooth, but not too bad.

That said, we did a Western Caribbean cruise from Houston and there is where we hit some big seas. We dod not get sick, but from you are saying, you probably would. Such seas are possible in the Caribbean.

We were on the CB and a friend who was up in sky wakers said she was watching the bow as it climbed up and rolled over and down. She said it reminded here of a merry go round horse with that up and down up and down.

One night we www asleep and suddenly it felt like we were on a teeter toter. The bed would way up and then way down...I laid there trying to figure out where level was. Eventually I drifted back to sleep..

That's the Caribbean on any given day.

Thank you for the responses! I will definitely talk with the doctor before the next cruise, and glad to know there may be remedies! And, glad to know about the Panama canal route... I just worry about the current going northward toward LA or Vancouver if we were to start in FL. We were fine going south in the Gulf; it was going north that was the problem.

AKman2495 -- you look familiar... were you on the 2/15 CB cruise out of Houston, and were you a participant in the marriage game (or whatever they called it)? That cruise was fun (and fog-free!), except for those last two sea days of 12 foot waves... oh, and the noro...

Anyway, thanks to all. I don't want to give up on cruising because I really enjoy it. Will try the patch or whatever else the doc recommends that doesn't knock me out next time.

My wife is another person who is very susceptible to all types of motion sickness. Fortunately for her taking meclizine (the less expensive generic of Bonine) has allowed her to enjoy dozens of cruises. As mentioned these are preventative measures that need to be taken in advance & as much as 24 hours prior to sailing to be fully effective. With meclizine she's done okay in 25' seas with near hurricane force winds in the notoriously rough Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand. However if you're taking Bonine as directed and still experiencing problems I'd suggest getting the scopolamine patch.

We've sailed full passages of the Panama Canal in both directions & sometimes while going n/b against the current between Cabo San Lucas & LA have experienced some "lumpy" (a term one of our British captains used) seas...and some that were smooth as glass! ;) Other portions of the cruise along the Pacific coast and in the Caribbean generally have been quite tolerable for my wife. :)

Whichever cruise you decide is best for you, have a great cruise. :D

I get carsick on windy roads if I'm not the driver - especially if I try to do anything other than looking straight ahead. Reading is a disaster. I also get seasick. Duh...

I get the Transderm-Scop patch from the doctor. We had rough seas on the way to Alaska. The ship was booming and shuddering as it hit the waves. People were staggering all over the ship. I didn't get even a little bit sick.

I put the patch on before boarding the ship or immediately after boarding. I'm a believer. It works for me and I won't cruise without it. In the US it's a prescription thing. In Vancouver it could be purchased over the counter by asking the druggist.

I agree about the patch. We had terrible seas outside of Barcelona, on the way to Monaco. The seas were splashing our balcony on the Baja deck, but I wasn't queasy at all. You didn't say how old your daughter is, and I don't know if they are safe for children. On an Alaskan cruise my son was seasick and we got him the pressure wristbands in the gift shop, which did the trick.

Happy sailings!

T

AKman2495 -- you look familiar... were you on the 2/15 CB cruise out of Houston, and were you a participant in the marriage game (or whatever they called it)? That cruise was fun (and fog-free!), except for those last two sea days of 12 foot waves... oh, and the noro...

Sorry, I was on the CB out of Houston but back in November. We did an 11 day B2B and were on the first cruise out of the Houston terminal. So, that was not me.

There's a reason why in the US the patch is by prescription only because it has more side affects than other types of motion sickness prevention. In WWII the active ingredient in higher dosages was used as a truth serum so I'd suggest using it if other treatments don't work & not as a 1st option. You can read all of the potential side affects but my wife had them even though it may vary for others. Meclizine is an antihistamine & sold over-the-counter with fewer side affects.

I'd suggest checking with your doctor or pharmacist first concerning potential side effects and drug interaction. I wouldn't use what I read Cruise Critic as a definitive answer about any type of medical questions & would contact a healthcare professional instead.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like it can be doable afterall!

Our daughter is 13, and I forgot -- on our last sea day in the Gulf, I looked at the medicine cabinet I brought with us (we were prepared for lots of things -- but didn't think to get the patch!) and I did have one of those pressure wristbands. It never worked for me, but I gave it to my daughter and she said it worked! Better late than never. So, maybe that is her cure, but not mine.

I, too, cannot read or do much in the passenger seat of a car - only sight-see or navigate (or be the one to actually ask for directions!).

Thanks.

I suffer terribly from motion sickness and use the patch. It works extremely well for me.

If you do get a prescription make sure and try it out at home. My daughter tried the patch prior to an overseas flight that we were taking and suffered from many side effects and it made her miserable. She was thankful that she wasn't traveling.