South Pacific advice

us2

Friends would like to take a South Pacific cruise. The Crown sails from LA to Hilo, Honolulu, Maui, Kauai, Samoa, Pago Pago, Bora Bora, Moorea, Tahiti and then back to Los Angeles.

It's 28 days and expensive. I've heard that it's not the greatest cruise and boring. I would appreciate your opinions and comments about the tours also.

I sailed Sydney to LA via NZ, Samoa (Pago Pago & Apia), Fiji, French Polynesia & Hawaii and didn't get bored but I also enjoy relaxing days at sea with many shipboard activities. It was a long flight to Sydney but ending in LA with only an hour drive home made up for that long flight & we enjoyed the cruise very much.

I've considered the convenient LA r/t cruise to Hawaii, French Polynesia & Samoa however having only one cruise & being very popular it results in higher prices than we want to pay. They have r/t LA cruises to Hawaii or o/w cruises between Hawaii & Tahiti which may be other options to consider.

We rent cars or use public transportation in Hawaii and took island tours in Tahiti, Bora Bora & Moorea and enjoyed each of them during a 1 day visit to each island.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We are booked on the Crown South Pacific cruise next October. We do not expect to be bored. We have been on longer cruises where half or more of the days were at sea. We already have a very active Roll Call with nearly 150 people. Tell your friends to join us.

We took this cruise a few years ago, and it was, IMO, a wonderful cruise. It's one of my alltime favorites. I was never bored because I am one of those sea days lovers. As long as I have lots of books on my Kindle and a place to sit to read where I can enjoy the views of the sea and smell the sea air, I am VERY happy.

When we took it, it was the first time Princess offered it, and for some people there were not enough CD arranged activities planned for the 8 sea days in a row from Papeete to LA. They complained of boredom.

Since that was in 2011, I am reasonably sure the activity roster has been much improved. It is one of those itineraries I would love to repeat.

Friends would like to take a South Pacific cruise. The Crown sails from LA to Hilo, Honolulu, Maui, Kauai, Samoa, Pago Pago, Bora Bora, Moorea, Tahiti and then back to Los Angeles.

It's 28 days and expensive. I've heard that it's not the greatest cruise and boring. I would appreciate your opinions and comments about the tours also.

We did this voyage in the spring of 2013 on the Star. If you enjoy sea days you will enjoy this cruise. We liked it. Do your homework on the ports. Here is some information. Apia, Samoa: the town is a local business district, not really a tourist center. There is a cultural center there that put on a free show. The walk into town is quite long, and it was very hot and humid. American Samoa: Right at the dock are local buses that can take you around the island. They are very small, maybe 20 pax. Also there was a U.S. National Park table where you could sign up for a guided tour of the National Park, I think it was $25pp. Moorea, a tender port: Take a tour, or make arrangements to go to a hotel for a beach day. The port area is very small with just a few vendors, one local store a short distance up the street and a 2nd general store a little further away, all walking distance. Nothing else there. Bora Bora, suggest making arrangements for a private lagoon tour with Patrick's Tour. We did it and the tour was the highlight of the voyage. Check it out on line.

We did this cruise two years ago in October. I LOVE sea days and had been to Hawaii many times and had also done a 10 day F.P. cruise. So with that being said - I loved the cruise. However, I really don't like to fly anymore and at that time I lived in L.A.

The weather can be typically cold heading over to Hawaii and on the long sea days coming back. Gorgeous weather from Hawaii to F.P. - HOT HOT HOT in Samoa and crossing the dateline. Honestly if F.P. is a huge draw for the cruise, you don't really have enough time there, actually same with Hawaii. It all depends on the reasons you are considering it in the first place - love to cruise, don't like to fly - etc. Bored - no, I would take that cruise again in a heartbeat. Some people did seem to start to get grumpy on the sea days home, it's all what you make of it.

Tammy

We did this cruise last year on Sapphire, loved it, and would definitely do it again. The weather was terrific, even on the days to Hawaii which we know can be a little cool sometimes. The only port we were not overly keen on was Papeete , and would seriously recommend an excursion. Loved the sea days, of which there are quite a few, and did not really want the cruise to end. Bora Bora was amazing.

Edited by glamgran26

We did this cruise on the Star in 2013 and loved it. Would do it again for sure. If you are easily bored on sea days though it may not be for you. We did hear some people grumbling about too many sea days. Everybody is different but we enjoy reading and relaxing.

The weather from LA to Hawaii starts out a little cool for a few days. We had calm seas for the whole trip.

Doing this cruise n 18 days....been to all the ports except Samoa ..big draw for me is long cruise, RT LA and no flight.....love sea days and looking forward to many relaxing times....plus our a Roll Call is over 200 people...so many events and crafts planned...no time to get bored ....

Thanks for the review. Now I want to do this cruise more then ever.

Joe

Joe...maybe because so many of us in the Southern California area want this cruise it appears that they have no problems filling the ship resulting in high prices. :(

Or maybe knowing that we can drive to the port maybe it's only higher prices for those of us who can drive to the ship but less for those who have to fly to LA. :p

We took this cruise and loved it. It really depends on whether or not you like sea days, since this itinerary has lots of sea days. You definitely won't see as much of the South Pacific islands as you would if you flew there and took a local cruise.

I don't know what you mean by expensive. An interior cabin is $2,999 ($107 per day) in October 2014 and $3,399 ($121 per day) in October 2015 - slightly less in October 2014. With lots of sea days, expenses for shore excursions will be relatively light.

For comparison, an interior cabin on the 10-day Pacific Princess round-trip Papeete cruise costs $1,529 on 19 October 2014 and $1,599 on 8 October 2015. Using Princess eZAir to book airfare, the lowest round-trip airfare from LAX for the 19 October 2014 cruise is $2,347.48. The total cost for ship and air round-trip from LAX in October 2014 is $2,999 for the 28-day cruise and $3,876 for the 10-day cruise (including LAX airfare).

This is one of the reasons we took the 28-day cruise. It's less expensive. And I'd much rather spend a week crossing the Pacific on a ship than all day in coach on a plane.

Joe...maybe because so many of us in the Southern California area want this cruise it appears that they have no problems filling the ship resulting in high prices. :(

Or maybe knowing that we can drive to the port maybe it's only higher prices for those of us who can drive to the ship but less for those who have to fly to LA. :p

Frank I agree with you on both statements. :) But I keep looking and waiting for the prices to go down. Maybe in my next life. LOL

Edited by waltd

Well living Oklahoma you either drive a long way or fly to get to a port! :mad:

We are also booked on the 2015 Oct Hawaii, Samoa & Tahiti cruise. :D Can't wait until it's time to board. :eek:

As for being bored, try sitting inside your a/c house in July and Aug. in 105 degree temp in OK and do not want to go out! ;) TV stinks and so does going out into the blast furnace. Cruising on a beautiful ship to the South Seas has that beat all to he--.. :eek:

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

Well living Oklahoma you either drive a long way or fly to get to a port! :mad:

We are also booked on the 2015 Oct Hawaii, Samoa & Tahiti cruise. :D Can't wait until it's time to board. :eek:

As for being bored, try sitting inside your a/c house in July and Aug. in 105 degree temp in OK and do not want to go out! ;) TV stinks and so does going out into the blast furnace. Cruising on a beautiful ship to the South Seas has that beat all to he--.. :eek:

Sounds just like living in Santa Clarita in the summer. :)

Frank I agree with you on both statements. :) But I keep looking and waiting for the prices to go down. Maybe in my next life. LOL

I keep looking for deals but nothing yet...I'll let you know if I see something & maybe you could do the same thing for me. ;)

Sounds just like living in Santa Clarita in the summer. :)

HAHA - That's why we moved Walt - 18 yrs in Santa Clarita was enough. Bur our DD is still there and 8 months pregnant - it is down from the 108 range right?

I will say this, we've had two very hot summers up here in Oregon.

Tammy

HAHA - That's why we moved Walt - 18 yrs in Santa Clarita was enough. Bur our DD is still there and 8 months pregnant - it is down from the 108 range right?

I will say this, we've had two very hot summers up here in Oregon.

Tammy

We actually have had a few evenings that it's cooled off. But more heat on Saturday and then the wind. Hold on to your hat. :)

We did the 28 day South Pacific on the Sapphire. Never bored.And the weather in the fall of 2012 could not have been better.Having been to French Polynesia many years ago, I was disappointed to see all the changes due to tourism.

We also did this cruise in 2013 and LOVED it. We had many friends on board who simply kept the party going for those long sea days. I would do this cruise again in a heart beat, especially with my friends. I have also done the Sidney to LA cruise back in 2007 and it was also great. I loved how relaxing it was plus no long flight back to Australia after the cruise.