Dining room lunch menu on embarkation

jbobst

Does the embarkation lunch in the dining room have the same menu for each ship and voyage? If so, does anyone have a quick rundown on the food choices? The last four Princess cruises we've been on had Alfredo's and we loved going their for lunch after we boarded...no crowds, good and quick service and good pizza. Perfect option for avoiding the crowds at the buffet. We are going on the Crown next week and there is no Alfredo's, so thinking about the dining room. However, I think others in my family/group may not want to take the time to sit down in the dining room for lunch as they'll want to be out and about the ship and may not enjoy sit down service right then (unlike me:). But, if the menu choices are good, I could probably convince them. If it's a limited menu with basics like a cheeseburger and such, maybe we'll just brave the crowds at the Buffet.

Thanks!

From the posts in another thread, it appears that the menu varies. However, it is more than burgers--although there is a burger on the menu.

On the Sept. 8 Ruby TA we had a shrimp and avocado appetizer, beef tenderloin, and a souffle for dessert. There was a pasta offering, but not the usual veal ravioli which I love. It was served later in the dining room toward the end of the cruise.

Off the top of my head from the 1 day re-positioning on the Golden from a few weeks back.

Entrees included (in no ways is this a comprehensive list)

- London Broil (rather enjoyed that)

- I believe a Cuban sandwich

- Burger with fries

- Soup and Sandwich

- I don't recall the pasta choice

Deserts

- Strawberries Romanoff

The majority of the people around had the London broil + Strawberry dessert.

In my experience, (but not in the last year or so...we've been arriving late for various reasons), the choices have been a salmon entree and a beef tenderloin entree. The salmon was always very good.

The salmon is my pick. I was on carribbean in may and september.

In may, salmon was available. In september, not available.

Last month on the Caribbean Princess, I had the salmon. The other entree choice was the beef. I'd had that in December on the Ruby and did not like it. The pasta was a cheese-filled ravioli. It's delicious. I always order an appetizer size portion of it. One appetizer on the menu was the avocado with a bay shrimp salad (which has too much mayo for my taste). There was some type of soup and also a salad. You could order a burger or a veggie burger. You can order a plate of fries separately--a huge pile of them. DH always gets to orange souffle for dessert. I order a fruit plate, which isn't on the menu but has always been available since they make them all the time and have them ready. There's some sugar-free dessert option plus a few different ice creams and a sorbet or sherbet.

Last week for the first time in a long time, the Salmon was not available for lunch on the Caribbean.

There was a Cuban Sandwich, Chicken thighs, burgers, soup and sandwich, some hot fish, veggie burger, and I believe some kind of pasta. There were 2 different kinds of soups, salads, some appetizers and about 4 desserts.

It was a much bigger menu than usual for embarkation day.

Our dining room embarkation experience on the Caribbean P. the last 2 cruises was that there not enough tables laid up and not enough waiters to cope with the demand.

There was a long line to get in and passengers who got in line at 1pm were still in line at 1.30pm and had the doors shut behind them. Service was slow and inaccurate.

Getting in early pays off. There were over 500 back to back passengers which increased demand substantially but the Maitre D' seems to have been unaware of this, or chose to ignore it, whatever it was he didn't do the sensible thing and deploy more crew where it was obviously going to be needed.

Off the top of my head from the 1 day re-positioning on the Golden from a few weeks back.

Entrees included (in no ways is this a comprehensive list)

- London Broil (rather enjoyed that)

- I believe a Cuban sandwich

- Burger with fries

- Soup and Sandwich

- I don't recall the pasta choice

Deserts

- Strawberries Romanoff

The majority of the people around had the London broil + Strawberry dessert.

That menu is only on short coastal or "sampler" cruises. Typical menu has medallions of beef, salmon and a chicken dish as well as a burger. For desert there is an orange soufflé and Nutella ice cream among other items.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

That menu is only on short coastal or "sampler" cruises. Typical menu has medallions of beef, salmon and a chicken dish as well as a burger. For desert there is an orange soufflé and Nutella ice cream among other items.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They had the typical menu on the Ruby when we sailed in January on the shorter cruises. I had never seen this menu before.

I dod a quick googol search and found this: it is a typical embarkation lunch menu similar to those described above. Just scroll down to see the entire menu.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/GoldenPrincess/Menus/mdrlunch.htm

These menus are for short cruises only... These are for the 3 day and 4 day west coast getaways. For cruises 7 days or longer, different menus are offered.

Here is the menu as we have always seen it on our Alaskan cruises:

Appetizers

Antipasto of Dry-Cured Salami and Roasted Vegetables

Avocado and Bay Shrimp

Tuscan-Style Chick Pea and Root Vegetable Soup

Limestone and Baby Oak Leaves with Cucumber, Carrot and Red Onion

Fresh Ground Sirloin Burgers and Other Dishes

Hamburger

Cheeseburger

Bacon Burger

(1/2 lb each, Traditional Garnish and Crisp Fries)

Veggie Burger

Large Plate of French Fries with Mayo and Heinz Tomato Ketchup

Pasta

Spinach and Cheese Ravioli in Velvety Tomato Sauce

Main Courses

Broiled Salmon with Lemon and Dill Sauce

Cacciatore-Style Chicken Braised in Tomato Wine Sauce, Tagliarini Ribbons

Grilled Herb-Spiced Beef Tenderloin, Vegetable Bouquet, Squashed Red Bliss Potatoes

Desserts

Apple Tart Tatin, Mascarpone Cream

Orange Souffle, Grand Marnier-Vanilla Sauce

Mandarin Orange Jello

Ice Cream (Nutella, Banana, Espresso, Papaya Frozen Yogurt)

Imported and Domestic Cheeses, Crackers and Biscuits

Seasonal Fresh Fruits

You can see photos of many of the dishes here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/126441386@N03/sets/72157645562631820/

IMO, this is one of the best menus all week and a wonderful way to start a cruise!

I dod a quick googol search and found this: it is a typical embarkation lunch menu similar to those described above. Just scroll down to see the entire menu.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/GoldenPrincess/Menus/mdrlunch.htm

that's the exact menu that we had last week on the Caribbean Princess. It wasn't the one that we had on the short Ruby cruises in January though.

• 5 months later...

Did anyone take photos of the 'actual' menus for the 7 day cruise? Leaving 4/11/15 on Crown to Mexican Riviera. Our 1st with Princess! Have never had a cruise that wasn't Excellent! Excited!!

Edited by Weena

On our last cruise we ate in the dining room the day we boarded. Oh my gosh, the avocado and shrimp appetizer was to die for. Absolutely wonderful. I kept hoping they would offer it again during our cruise, but no luck.

That and the Salmon, love it! :D

On our last cruise we ate in the dining room the day we boarded. Oh my gosh, the avocado and shrimp appetizer was to die for. Absolutely wonderful. I kept hoping they would offer it again during our cruise, but no luck.

Next time ask your dining room headwaiter in the evening if it could be prepared for you later in the cruise. If possible, they will do it with 24 hours notice.

ok i love lunches on the cruise. what time do they serve it dining room lunch on embarkation day? it says embarkation that it isnt til 4pm. i do not like the buffet at all so would love to go to it. going to alsaka 10 day on golden out of san fran july 1

ok i love lunches on the cruise. what time do they serve it dining room lunch on embarkation day? it says embarkation that it isnt til 4pm. i do not like the buffet at all so would love to go to it. going to alsaka 10 day on golden out of san fran july 1

DR is open from Noon to 1:30pm.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Departure is at 4:00 pm, NOT embarkation... The ship sails a at 4:00, so you should be on board way before that which may allow you for lunch. It's served from 12 to 1:30. I just checked my confirmation noting that the ship departs at 4.

-Avocado & Shrimp Appetizer- offered in MDR after boarding (12-1:30). I would Love that. Thanks MilliesMom [emoji4]! This is my 1st time on a Princess Cruise and am hoping we get onto the Crown Early enough to invade the MDR!!

• 3 months later...

So, I am not scheduled to board the Crown next Saturday until 1:30 pm, but on other cruise lines we have been able to board much earlier. We plan to arrive about 11 am based on some posts I have read on here and are hoping to have lunch in the MDR. Do you think this will work out?