Carnival VIFP Club Flaws and Improvement Suggestions

Whiskey60

Hello All,

I am new to the forum but have secretly stalked it for some time for my previous cruises lol. Well after my last cruise on the Breeze (which is an AWESOME ship btw) and after talking to some awesome people in random encounters it made me compose the below letter to Carnival. Now I don't blame any of you if you don't read it all as it could just be one man's rant for what I see as a flawed system, but if you do read it maybe if you jump to the facebook post where I placed it and give it a like and your .02 cents we can do something to change it. If you like it the way it is, then never mind lol. Either way! Looking forward to making some posts here and adding what I can!

Facebook Post -

Hello Carnival,

First I want to start off by saying I love CCL and have no intention of sailing with any other Cruise line. Also apologize for the forwardness of this email and please feel free to hit delete if you would like as I know this is a bit unorthodox. I am just passionate about CCL and also this topic. However I did want to write and express some faults I feel are in the VIFP membership. I understand that just the past year (end of 2013) the way you get into the levels were changed, in large part because some members who lived close to ports were "cheating" the system by taking short 3 day cruises and getting by the 10 cruise limit to get into platinum. I agree that needed to be fixed. However I think you might have made it almost impossible for some to get into any higher level. Granted I haven't cruised a ton but when I have I have spoken with a large number of guests that agree that they feel the VIFP point system is broken.

Again I know you want members to feel like they are working toward earning something and feel like an elite member but the gap from Gold to Platinum is pretty substantial. For instance, to get to Platinum from Gold estimating you have 24 cruise days (minimum to get into Gold) you would need another 51 days to get into Platinum. That is 10 five day cruises or roughly 7 seven day cruises. Say an average person with 15 vacation days can take two 5 day cruises a year, that is 5 years before getting into not even the most "Elite" Diamond tier. This might not be so bad if your Gold tier had a few more minor perks. But as it stands now Gold only receives an invite to a party which I doubt many attend.

I know this seems like I am complaining a lot but I promise this is just constructive criticism coming from a largely very satisfied customer. I along with many feel that while you solved one issue I think you may have created another smaller one. If you look at what I feel is probably your largest competitor in the USA, Royal Caribbean they have 6 tiers of membership status. Not a HUGE difference from CCL 5 but they increase the benefits each tier. Granted a lot of their member “perks” are already offered to EVERY person who sails CCL Red Level or Diamond (like a robe to use on board) but I am just stating the growing perks are grater each time and not just by a lapel pin.

One thing I feel they do correctly is the double your points by $$ spent. I feel that one small little tweak to your program would increase not only your revenue stream but your customers acceptance levels as well. My recommendation would be this based on what I have heard and read from others..

1. Earn a point per sailing day (as you currently have it)

2. Earn double points if booking a Suite on 5+

3. Earn Double points if booking a Balcony or Suite on 7+ day cruises. (This IMO would set you apart from Royal Caribbean)

4. Earn Double points if you book 3+ rooms for Booking Individual(s) (So large family vacations where mom and dad may be shelling out large amount of $$ to have their kids and grandkids come on vacation)

*You can only earn double points once per cruise, so if you book a suite and 3+ rooms you will only still earn double the points not 4 times the points.

Now I know that is just a pipe dream and you as a company have to make money and also have a reason to your madness. BUT, I am not sure how many of these types of letters you have received thus far since the changing. Again I love your company and have no reason to or want to sail with anyone else. I am just simply sharing my and what I feel is many other’s feelings toward the current VIFP Club system.

But if at the very least I can help Carnival improve on what is already a great cruise line and also get others to sail and start working towards their perks then awesome.

Thank you for your time,

Jameson Ford

Carnival Enthusiast

Interesting set of changes. It is good that the consumer provides feedback and that the consumer feels valued. Moreover it is excellent that you were able to provide examples in ways that things could be changed for the better. Certainly submit your ideas to Carnival.

When Carnival opened its doors to its current rewards program it detailed how things would change. In essence, at that time they announced that they would be watering down their old program and give everyone time to "bump themselves up or feel the effects of it watering down. As a consumer I chose to I chose the second. As a result, my "rewards" status went from 70% of the way to the next tear to just under 50% (48%) and all ready did not include the seven other fares that DW and I had spent on family to come along with us.

After that time I realized, based on many posts here, that if there were future changes to the reward program it would be through watering it down further. The suggestion you give are great ideas. I cruise for vacation, I cruise for relaxation, I cruise for the memories. The rewards program is fine and good, but it is not the reason I cruise nor is it the reason I choose to cruise with Carnival.

I am not absolutely loyal to one cruise line. I have not cruise tons but have cruised NCL, CCL, RCCL and Disney. And have another CCL cruise booked for the spring.

However, when looking for cruises for 2016, I dug up my old NCL Lattitudes number. Noticing that if I booked a suite, not only would I get a lot of suite perks including an in room espresso maker, private breakfast and a concierge (mind you at a very competitive price) but would be way ahead in status compared to carnival after 2 vs. 3 cruises. And you get an extra point for booking 9 months in advance, which I usually do.

The price and itinerary would have to be far superior for me to choose carnival over NCL on the the subsequent one.

And guess what Carnival, I might consider upgrading my currently booked cabin to a suite if I thought I could get extra points.

All that being said, I still look at all options for cruises, but small incentives can push you to make different decisions and create more brand loyalty for a very small cost.

Actually, I think the "gap" between Platinum and Diamond needs to be adjusted more than the gap from Gold to Platinum. IMHO 75 to 200 days is just too far a spread. I "earn" my cruise days the hard way - taking 7 to 8 day cruises. I am at 120 cruise points. At this rate it will take me a long time to get to 200 cruise days. So, we have begun mixing our cruise lines. By my next (third) NCL cruise I will be at the next perk level. I don't cruise for perks, but CCL has definitely made me look elsewhere, as I feel I may be Platinum for life there!:p:D

I realize this is a very important issue for some people and I respect your position.

Personally it is immaterial. I cruise Carnival because they have year-round itineraries out of Galveston. Never expect to be higher than gold and I believe a good 80% of blue and red card holders have no idea why cards are issued in different colors.

As long as they continue to sell Fttf at a reasonable price, and continue to sail out of Galveston, the perks at various levels have no impact on my choices.

So Carnival should be another NCL?

I don't pick a cruise line for loyalty.

Right now on NCL if I book a 7 day cruise 9 months out in a suite I will get 21 points and move me into the 2nd of the top tear in the loyality program. 1 Point Each Day for the cruise, for suite and for booking 9 months or more in advance.

As you can see below I've only cruised 4 lines equally between NCL/Carnival.

Difference between NCL/Carnival is that on NCL I won't get the new level until I complete the cruise where Carnival would give you the perks on the cruise you reach that level.

Never put on the robe ;), unless loyality gives me a good discount I don't really care for it. NCL its worth the $50 for the free dinner (for 2) in the French Restaurant?

Only you can decide that.

FWIW

I like the points the way they are. It keeps the levels exclusive like they should be. I think it would be cool to have a couple more perks like free WiFi. We are at 43 days sailed with an additional 13 days booked between now and next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm relatively new to cruising, having cruised 3 times, with 4th coming up. I will be gold. What does that mean for me? A pin. I am buying cheers so won't go to the past guest party and the free drink coupon won't do me any good. Not that I got into cruising for a loyalty program. Just wanted a different vacation.

Yep, after this cruise in Nov. I would have needed 3 more cruises to be Diamond. Now I will need between 50 to 60 more points to make Diamond. I think the points should be adjusted to 150 to 175 points to achieve Diamond. Platinum is great and looking forward to Diamond one day. Sooner better than later.:)

Add to the list: Guests who book single/solo in a cabin and pay a 200% fare should earn double points for having to pay double for their cruise.

Yes! Also a choice of platinum gifts if you already have 5 tervis cups or are allergic to coffee for example.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Yep, after this cruise in Nov. I would have needed 3 more cruises to be Diamond. Now I will need between 50 to 60 more points to make Diamond. I think the points should be adjusted to 150 to 175 points to achieve Diamond. Platinum is great and looking forward to Diamond one day. Sooner better than later.:)

In the same boat! Don't cruise for the perks, but they are nice to have when earned. I would love to earn them a little faster!:p:D

I stopped reading your post when you basically told the recipient they could not do basic math.

Just another I want more for free post.

Good luck.

Lol, my last line was more to lighten up the subject that expecting to get free stuff.

But I can also tell by your posts you just spew negativity so that's fine.

This was merely my opinion and I also completely understand why as a business CCL has it set the way it is. I honestly think they will probably adjust it in the (hopefully in the nearish) future but because the system they originally had was broken for so long they have to make sure they can staff and meet all the criteria for the Platinum and Diamond members that board now.

Also, don't get me wrong. I don't sail for perks either regardless of how this comes across. I buy the FTTF each time and I have friends I sail with regularly that are Platinum members that I get to bum a bag or 2 of laundry off of so I pay a small fee to have the same perks anyway which I am more than fine with. My post was just to suggest a way to improve something I see needs improving. I'm not saying give the Platinum away I am stating just adjust it so you can get points a bit quicker. And what I proposed even if you sailed 2 times a year on a 5+ day cruise and upgrade to a Suite you would still need to put in over 3 years before hitting that tier.

But either way everyone is entitled to their opinions. And I also know some of the people who are platinum now will hate this idea because they like feeling special but also forget the same people that feel "special" with you there are some that took 10 4 day cruises and others that took 10 7 day to get where they are... Are those equal? Is anyone more important than the other?

Oh.. Forgot to mention, I did receive an email from Carnival. It is much as I expected and in a reply to the one you will read below they are and have been looking to adjust the program. But they addressed the issue that people gained Platinum so quickly before it basically put a strain on staffing and they want to keep up the level of service. And from the sounds of it they would like to prevent a large boom from Platinum to Diamond as they had into Platinum originally. So for the time being (as expected) the program is what it is. My email to them was just a letter for all us newer customers to Carnival. :D

Dear Mr. Ford,

Thank you for taking the time to write to our Executive Offices and for sharing your thoughts and suggestions. Mr. Cahill shared your email with me and asked that I respond on his behalf. It is my pleasure to address your concerns.

We are always looking for ways to improve our product and the services we provide our guests so we appreciate your email.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for being a Carnival fan! We certainly appreciate your continued support.

We realize the importance of making our guests feel appreciated so I’d like to reassure you that we are just as committed today as we have been in previous years to providing guests with a fun-filled, memorable cruise vacation at a great value for their money.

We worked very hard to strike a balance that would be fair to all when working out the details of the VIFP program. Once the new program was announced in June 2012, we provided guests an 18-month grace period to get to their 10th cruise in order to attain Platinum status, which we felt was a reasonable amount of time.

While we’re largely competitive with other cruise lines, we created a program that best fit Carnival Cruise Lines and our guests.

Additionally, we want our Platinum and Diamond-level members to feel special onboard and thus, we want to ensure that we can deliver the promised benefits. If the qualification requirements were lower, the rate at which new Platinum members would qualify for elite status would dramatically hinder our ability to deliver the desired experience to these guests.

We trust you’ll understand that in order for us to continue to grow and enhance the cruise experience for all of our guests, we may sometimes need to make some trade-offs.

We would like to extend to you and Alexis a special Bon Voyage gift on your next cruise with us. Please contact us at 1-###-###-### within 45 days of sailing and we will make all the necessary arrangements.

Once again, thank you for letting us know your thoughts. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome both of you back again soon.

Sincerely,

Margie

Special Advisor – Office of the President

This solidifies that Carnival is a great company regardless of bad press from time to time.. For anyone to take the time to respond to a suggestion is more than many companies do. Let alone from as high up as Mr. Cahill's office.

Hi,

I thought your letter was well thought out and am happy that you got such a complete response from Carnival.

They made their case in an intelligent and respectful way just as you did. I am happy to see that Carnival responded to you! I hope you continue to enjoy cruising no matter how you accrue points.:o

I don't see it as a "I want something for free" at all. I look at it from Carnival's business perspective. I will likely never make platinum/diamond level on any cruise line.

But they really should examine it. For instance, I always favor shopping at Kroger rather than Publix because I get fuel points. And that equals about $2 every time I fill up. And I only fill up every 2 weeks. But I go out of my way to go to a Shell station. REALLY? Yes $2 here and there makes a difference but it is all about perception.

Like the free drink coupon, does it really matter if it is at breakfast, lunch or dinner? No difference in cost but the perception changes. And last cruise we only ended up using one of them.

Priority Boarding, doesn't cost a thing.

For someone like me who is not loyal, if given the same cruise on two different lines at comparable prices, little things can sway my decision and brand loyalty for many folks.

And I am with the OP. I buy FTTF and send a couple of loads of laundry all for less than $100 so I do like it that purchasing the perks is possible.

I also think you should get more points for booking more than one room, like parents that get a room for themselves and one for the kids.

Add to the list: Guests who book single/solo in a cabin and pay a 200% fare should earn double points for having to pay double for their cruise.

I think I might be a cynic. I doubt anything more than a tiny percentage of Carnival customers pay much attention to the loyalty points, or being loyal at all. I think most cruisers pick a cruise line based on price, ports of call, departure points and dates of sailing, not on getting loyalty points.

Carnival could tweak the points the way you suggest or make it even better but if they don't offer a trip I want at a price I am willing to pay, I would not book it.

My other cynical point is I don't think Carnival really want to push too many to the higher levels. Lets face it, the more you cruise the less money you spend. Do you really still book excursions through Carnival? Still buy 10 pictures? I don't. I live on the West Coast and have been to Ensenada about 10 times. First few, booked excursions. Now? They don't make a nickel from me on excursions. The diamond plus sailers have been to the Caribbean ports 20 times. Are they still booking shore excursions in Cozumel or Ocho Rios?

How could you have been anticipating Diamond in 3 more cruises when Diamond didn't exist and the original points requirement was 200 from it's beginning?

I'm Diamond and became so on the 2nd cruise after the program changed. I do understand the frustration of how long it could take for someone to make Diamond, but I think that big of a gap is necessary to avoid a very rapid increase in the number of Diamonds.

It currently takes eight 7 day cruises to make it to Platinum. It takes 28 7 day cruises to make it to Diamond. The level of loyalty deserves to have a noticeable difference in the perks. Yet the only ongoing additional perk after you've used your one time upgrade and specialty restaurant perks is a private reception with the Captain and senior crew.

My issue with assigning points based on how expensive your cabin is in my mind is at the very least a slippery slope. Just because you book a balcony doesn't always mean you paid more for it on a per person basis compared to any other category of cabin. That cost can also be offset by how far in advance you purchased it, what kind of rate you booked under, how well other categories of cabins are selling, or special resident/senior/military rates or last minute sales.

And if you are going to award points on the basis of monies spent then you better have a way to figure in excursions, specialty restaurants, gift shops and casino revenue.

There is no way to keep all of that straight for every booking.

Additionally, before the Loyalty program changed it was so easy to make Platinum and the last few years it became no big deal and virtually no recognition was given to your loyalty level. And even now when I have to use my Diamond White S&S card it rarely even evokes a comment.

I also think you should get more points for booking more than one room, like parents that get a room for themselves and one for the kids.

Well, you kind of do. The children sailing get the credits though...

I missed platinum buy 5 months when they changed it. :( now I have to take a few more cruises. blah.

Anyways, like others, I think the bigger problem is the gap between platinum and diamond. Ill definitely hit platinum in my lifetime, but at the rate in which I take cruises, it will take me until im retired to hit platinum... Maybe thats how they want it, not sure..

Edited by rocketship

Not really the same, as they would get those points if they were in my room. Two cabins is more than one cabin and IMO should count more in points.

Overall I really don't care, I am happy with what Carnival does for me. Just contributing to the thread and that is the only thing that I feel could possibly be counted differently.

Well, you kind of do. The children sailing get the credits though...